The advantages of having a mentor are pretty evident for hospitality newcomers trying to find their place in the industry. Not only do they provide invaluable advice based on their own career experiences, but they also open up a whole new world of networking opportunities. They help you develop your skills, knowledge, and enhance your chances for success. Mentors come in all forms and at different times of your life. They can be a parent, a close relative, a friend, your boss, your team, or a collection of all of them!
Research proves that mentorship is important to success. The study “Career Benefits Associated with Mentoring Protégés: A Meta-Analysis” from the Journal of Applied Psychology found mentoring to be highly associated with career prosperity, job satisfaction and higher levels of career commitment. Also, a 2013 mentoring research by Sage surveyed more than 11,000 small and medium-sized businesses in 17 countries around the world and found that 93% of them admitted mentoring is instrumental to success. Additionally, in a survey by the American Society for Training and Development, 75% of private sector executives said mentoring was crucial in helping them get to their current position.
A good mentor helps you be your best self. As the hospitality industry continues to grow, evolve, and expand to include new fields and emerging trends, mentorship has become an essential career asset. Read on the 5 reasons as to why having a mentor in the industry matters:
1. Mentors help you improve. A good mentor sees our faults more clearly than we would like, and they won’t downplay them. But this constructive criticism will help you see things in a new light and make you reflect on aspects of yourself you didn’t recognize before. For example, mentors help you identify positive leadership traits that you can take from and absorb, and help you stay away from negative ones you should avoid.
2. Mentors help you connect. Mentors provide access to other professionals in the industry that can equally offer their skills and expertise to help you grow. Expanding your network is essential to fuel your career growth within the hospitality industry, and a mentor can introduce you to opportunities you otherwise didn’t have before.
3. Mentors help you learn. Mentors provide extensive information and knowledge founded on their own experiences in the industry. Not only this, but mentors share invaluable insights on previous mistakes they made along the way that become learning lessons for you. This information is priceless!
4. Mentors help you prosper. Your chances to succeed professionally and personally significantly improve by having the right career guide. They help you get to where you want to be by providing timely advice, lessons, ego checks, and valuable connections. Whether it’s your boss, your team, or a close friend, surrounding yourself with positive role models exposes you to more ideas and better guidance.
5. Mentors help you believe in yourself. There always comes a time in your path that takes a turn. Since mentors know what challenges lie ahead in the industry, they can help point you in the right direction, tap you into your inner self-confidence, and remind you where you were going when doubt ensues. Mentors also guide you when it comes to investing in continued education, training, or career growth opportunities.
Hospitality is an art of service and communication. In this field, the best industry secrets and insights are most effective when passed from one generation of professionals to the next. Having the seasoned perspective of a mentor will only help you grow, learn, and skyrocket your career to the top.
Watch the fourth and final episode of Hosco’s Leading Women in Hospitality series above, where industry leaders discuss the importance of having the right mentors in the industry, and how their own mentors helped them get to where they are today. The Leading Women in Hospitality series was aimed at encouraging young aspiring professionals to reach success by showing them career advice from different industry leaders, ranging in topics from advice to young professionals, leadership qualities, work-life balance, and the importance of mentorship. Don’t miss on the opportunity to learn from these exclusive insights and invaluable lessons these amazing ladies have shared with us along the way.