Assistant Food & Beverage Director
To assist the Director of Food and Beverage in the daily and overall F&B operations at The Fairmont Grand Del Mar.
The areas of direct responsibility are: Amaya Restaurant & Bar, Lobby Lounge, The Clubhouse Grill & Club M, Pools, Cent’anni and In Room Dining and Hotel Beverage Management Programing.
Oversee and support the leadership of these departments and the beverage management component of the role and colleagues on a daily basis. This role is also to oversee the F&B division as a whole in the absence of the Director of Food and Beverage in coordination with the Executive Chef and Director of Banquet Operations.
As a senior department head, this role strives to continually improve guest and colleague satisfaction and maximize the financial performance in F&B Division overall.
What is in it for you:
- Employee benefit card offering discounted rates in Accor worldwide
- Learning programs through our Academies and the opportunity to earn qualifications while you work
- Opportunity to develop your talent and grow within your property and across the world!
- Ability to make a difference in the local community through our Corporate Social Responsibility activities, like Planet 21
What you will be doing:
The expectations of this role are listed below but not exclusively restricted to this listing. This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that a colleague in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- This is an operational role, restaurant, bar and beverage involvement and overview of the teams and their work procedures and process is a large component of this role.
- 70-80% of this position will be in the Food and Beverage operation ensuring the support and guidance is available to all teams throughout the property
- Being the instigator and involved in on the floor training and coaching/counseling of the colleagues and operational teams
- Directing the team and ensuring standard and sequences are being adhered to at all times in the areas pertaining to this position.
- Ensuring the teams are meeting the required Forbes and LQA standards at all times
- Assisting in busy periods of need across the Food and Beverage department when required to ensure guest satisfaction and maximum guest satisfaction whilst providing support for leaders and colleagues within food and beverage.
- Ensuring EcoSure standards are not only being met in all areas but being exceeded.
- Managing guest expectations and handling any issues that may arise to ensure that 100% satisfaction is secured.
- Shift work schedule rotations will apply to this role -evening, weekend and late night coverage will apply to this role
- Beverage management will be a large focus, inventories, maintenance, creating efficiencies, beverage cost analysis and control.
The Ideal Candidate will have the ability to:
- Understand and refine labor management and control
- Continually be aware of departmental needs as they relate to production and staffing.
- Forecast workloads and check work schedules prepared by subordinate managers for all relevant departments
- Assist managers to develop and maintain consistency in all that is done in their department, hold the teams accountable for tasks to be completed
- Oversee the initial and continual training of all new and current food and beverage service colleagues by their department managers
- Control and maintain standards, performance, colleagues conduct, grooming, appearance, sanitation, etc. according to established policies.
- Review performance with every department manager on a weekly basis in the form of structured catch up meetings and on an annual basis in the form of a performance review
- The ability to keep colleagues and managers informed about hotel policies and changes
- Review capture ratios and have an in depth awareness of the costs and expenses as they pertain to the operation of the day to day hotel and division
- Assist the Director of Food and Beverage to manage and control overall expenses of the outlets focusing on higher revenue and profit
- Ensure that managers brief and review with their colleagues to ensure total knowledge as to all menu items, how they are prepared, what ingredients are used, etc. and total knowledge of wine/beverage list
- Overseeing spot checks, inventory counts, finalization and preparation of month end documents and to hold managers accountable to consistency in these procedures
- Spot check and review weekly payroll prepared by managers for hourly colleagues
- To work in co-operation with the culinary teams across the property to ensure top quality and competitive pricing in the menus and to ensure that below standard items are never accepted or served
- To schedule and participate in monthly Department Food and Beverage meetings, daily briefings and departmental shift line ups
- To manage key events and seasons for the hotel with the Director of Food and Beverage and to keep the hotel informed of special events such as Christmas, New Year’s, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc and to ensure the key departments are prepared for such events
- To review the daily log book produced by departmental managers on a daily basis.
- To review the daily revenue reports to catch discrepancies or abnormalities that may occur in reporting and investigate and rectify
- To assist the Executive Steward in the management of waste and brakage to be mindful and alert to Planet 21 project initiatives
- To ensure that managers maintain inventories and par stocks
- Ensure that all equipment is kept in perfect working condition. Reports any deficiency to the proper department, and that the teams are completing regular outlet walks with engineering.
- The ability and skills to manage wine stock properly as well as wine list elaboration and maintenance.
- Financial knowledge must have working knowledge of Profit and Loss statement.
- Must be able to calculate and control food & beverage cost.
- Understanding of divisional budget, revenue and expenses.
- Understanding all facets of Human Resources nature. Interviewing, evaluating, discipline, termination.
- Managing all guest complaints in the food and beverage area and is in charge of obtaining maximum results in the utilization and appearance of the food and beverage areas, the quality levels, performance and standards of service and develops new techniques of service towards maximum guest satisfaction at minimum operating costs.
- The ability to aid each manager in giving the necessary training to their staff and to assist them in it.
- Develop new and analyze existing procedures and special promotions that will improve guest patronage under the guidelines of The Fairmont Grand Del Mar policies.
- Develop and maintain effective communications between all operating departments.
- Respond properly in any hotel emergency or safety situation.
- To perform other tasks or projects as assigned by hotel management and executive.
Your experience and skills include:
- Require at least 4 year as a senior management level - Department Head in one of the following areas: high volume bar, restaurant, IRD or banqueting. Previous beverage management is a strong advantage.
- Excellent reading, writing and oral proficiency in English. Excellent Communication skills
- College /university degree preferred studies in hotel/restaurant management, business administration.
- Understand and comply with all company and departmental rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
- Previous Forbes 5* experience a strong advantage.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff and guests.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Must be able to train employees to Standards of Service as specified in departmental manual.
- Must have knowledge of food and beverage cost accounting, payrolls, forecasting and budgeting.
- Must be familiar with traditional and contemporary styles of cuisine and service.
- Must have a working knowledge of food, beverage and labor costs and how they are affected by the actions of the department.
- Working knowledge of computers, to include word processing and spreadsheet applications, and point of sales programs.
- Must display an ability to be able to communicate with other departments including Sales and Catering, Housekeeping, Banquets, Culinary, Beverage and Stewards.
- Sanitation Certificate, TIPS Training or equivalent
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus. Requires being mobile 100% of the shift including maneuvering through crowded areas.
- May require bending and reaching in areas from floor level to 6 ft. high.
- Requires pushing, pulling and maneuvering Room Service carts weighing up to 70 lbs. For extended periods.
- May require lifting up to 50 lbs.
Your team and working environment:
Just east of the Pacific and slightly north of Expectation.
Welcome to Fairmont Grand Del Mar. An elegant tribute to classic Mediterranean estate, seamlessly fusing old-world charm with modern luxury. Here, an award-winning, Renaissance-inspired spa, critically acclaimed dining, exclusive boutique shopping and championship golf course.
Growth and advancement is not only available, it is actively encouraged. We promote a balanced life for our colleagues, continuously seeking new ways to improve our environment and to support our beautiful home of San Diego.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
We are an inclusive company and our ambition is to attract, recruit and promote diverse talent.
Why work for Accor?
We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor’s limitless possibilities.
By joining Accor, every chapter of your story is yours to write and together we can imagine tomorrow's hospitality. Discover the life that awaits you at Accor, visit https://careers.accor.com/
Do what you love, care for the world, dare to challenge the status quo! #BELIMITLESS