The global distribution landscape in the lodging industry continues to expand and become more complex, and Marriott International recognizes the development and execution of an enhanced future intermediary partner relationship strategy as a key strategic focus. As part of Marriott’s Distribution Strategy team, the Director Distribution Strategy Activation & Special Projects, APAC reports to the Sr. Director, Distribution-APAC.
The Director, Distribution Strategy, Activation & Special Projects, APAC is responsible for a) testing/implementing and scaling initiatives with the goal to motivate customers to buy through Marriott’s direct channels, with main focus on (i) radically differentiating direct channels to drive direct bookings, (ii) engaging intermediaries to enhance customer acquisition, and (iii) fostering the adoption of direct channel marketing tactics/tools.
This position is accountable for assigned projects to support Marriott’s Global Distribution Strategy including required internal and external relationship and stakeholder management for a 6-8 month period, while the Director, Distribution Strategy Activation is on parental leave. The position demonstrates advanced knowledge of job-relevant topics, systems and processes in order to pull through of assigned projects globally.
Education and Experience:
§ 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel Management, or related major.
§ 10 years’ experience in positions with focus on strategic account management, strategic business development, sales & marketing and/or revenue management.
§ Passion for sales excellence and business development
§ Strong negotiation and influencing skills
§ Ability to develop and apply strategic frameworks to test, analyze and execute assigned projects
§ Strong leadership, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
§ Ability to create a positive team dynamic and manage and motivate a diverse multi-cultural team
§ Ability to work well within all levels of the organization, especially internal and external senior management
§ Fluent in oral and written communication in English.
§ Mandarin language capabilities highly preferred.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES:
Radically differentiates direct channels, drive direct bookings
§ Pulls through of established Direct Channel benefits and pioneer development of APAC specific Direct Channel benefits where applicable.
§ Lead the Introduction of the new Member Offers Program and Distressed Inventory Tool
Leads the APAC roll out of the expanded Look No Further Best Rate Guarantee Program and Rate Shopping Tool
· Lead continent rollout of Rate Parity Tool
· Monitor associate use and manage results analytics
· Identify training needs and adapt/ develop in continent resources
· Address any technology issues as they arise and see through to resolution.
· Responsible for ensuring continent level goals and targets are met.
Engages intermediaries to enhance customer acquisition
§ Cooperates with the loyalty and digital marketing team, increases knowledge about customers booking through intermediaries and establish powerful targeting programs.
§ Supports the ongoing support and further optimization of the OTA 2nd Stay program in APAC
§ Explores and executes strategic initiatives that could turn into self-sustainable programs with the goal to:
‒ Acquire new Marriott Reward members through relevant Asia Pacific partners
‒ Leverage new media placements and customer audience data to drive digital direct channel sales
‒ Engage in promotional growth strategies (e.g., shift traditional wholesale business into a more profitable model, reach customer audiences that do not typically consider Marriott)
‒ Explore technology and data partnerships
Fosters the adoption of direct channel marketing tactics/tools
§ Works very closely with the Continent digital marketing leader to
‒ Implement direct channel benefits in digital marketing messages/retargeting campaigns
‒ Reach defined shoppers with targeted offers
‒ Increase hotels’ engagement/usage of direct channel marketing tools.
§ Pioneers the development/implementation of a Direct Channel Playbook for hotels to learn how to aggressively utilize digital marketing tools for driving demand through Marriott’s digital channels including testing new Continent-specific tools
Manages Projects and Priorities
§ Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work for self and direct reports.
§ Provides direction and assistance to other teams regarding projects. Determines priorities, schedules, plans and necessary resources to ensure completion of any projects on schedule.
§ Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
§ Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new plans or programs. Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
§ Plans, develops, implements, and evaluates the quality of the teams’ operations.
§ Provides recommendations to improve the effectiveness of processes or programs.
§ Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders.
§ Supports achievement of performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
Manages and Conducting Human Resources Activities
§ Continuously improves department, program, team, and job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place.
§ Interviews and hires employees.
§ Facilitates regular, ongoing communication in department (e.g., staff meetings).
§ Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for performance goals.
§ Solicits employee feedback.
§ Utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
§ Promotes adherence to policies consistently, follows disciplinary procedures and documents items according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
§ Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
§ Identifies talents of direct reports and their teams, and assists with their growth and development plans.
§ Performs other reasonable duties as required for the position.
· Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o Project Management-The ability to use a defined process to create and manage a project; this includes defining and achieving success within constraints of scope, time, resources and budget.
o Sales Implementations-Driving and supporting the implementation of sales strategies and systems; seeking and taking appropriate actions on feedback; taking responsibility for implementation success.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
- Sales & Marketing
- Starting in
- As soon as possible