As an integral part of the Brand, Marketing, Sales and Revenue, and Consumer Insights (BMSC) discipline, Communications/PR is a strategic function, and encompasses the actions we take to positively influence our external and internal stakeholders including media, guests, owners, company and community-at-large. Publicity, promotion and civic involvement are some of the means to accomplish the goal of enhanced brand and business perception that are aligned with the BMSC objectives.
This role will mainly focus on and specialize in brand public relations for Marriott International’s portfolio of luxury brands in Asia Pacific. They will work closely with the Senior Communications Manager in the PR strategy and execution of brand campaigns, media events as well as developing creative story angles and PR pitches that would capture media and consumer interest across all key media markets in Asia Pacific. The Communications Manager will be responsible for elevating the reputation and driving mass awareness not only for our luxury brands but for the entire Marriott International portfolio including its loyalty program. This would be the main responsibility and objective of the entire Communications team. This role may include cross over projects and will require them to work closely with the Continent, Regional and hotel PR teams on both brand PR and corporate PR campaigns.
To guarantee success in this function, the ideal candidate must be a team player, collaborative and have excellent stakeholder management skills; a person that is open minded and finds creative solutions to challenges and easily adaptable to new environments. They must also possess strong media relationships, outstanding communication abilities; excellent written and spoken abilities in English and good spoken proficiency in Mandarin; have a solid understanding of the travel industry; outstanding event planning skills; and the ability to successfully multi-task duties while prioritizing property personalities, communication challenges and management issues on numerous projects simultaneously.
· Formal training in Public Relations, a university degree or equivalent experience in public relations,
communications or journalism.
· Four years minimum in public relations.
· Solid strategic planning and event execution abilities
· Travel, hospitality and/or brand communications background
· Own excellent relations with key media and influencers
· Solid understanding of the print, electronic and broadcast media as well as social media platforms in the luxury
· Excellent English oral proficiency and good spoken proficiency in Mandarin
· Excellent English writing skills (ie. Press releases, story telling, media pitches etc)
· A team player and collaborator are a must
· Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint and Word computer programs.
· On-property hotel communications experience/corporate travel industry experience, a plus
· Support in developing and fully executing Brand PR plans for the Asia Pacific continent
· Required to support Regional PR teams in the region. Ensure synergies are outlined and identified which
complement and support the APAC communications team
· Support the communications function in brand and hotel PR activities in the region as identified by Vice President,
· Coordinate with PR agencies and support leadership communications internally and externally
· Help organize internal communications and HR-related activities to engage associates in the region
· Create a positive perception of the Marriott International and its brands, addressing specific needs as outlined in
the larger BMSC plan(s) and capitalize on opportunities as they arise.
· Embrace projects with a sense of urgency with the utmost attention paid to enhancing and respecting the image of
· Provide timely and accurate responses when queried by the media. Stay abreast of news; launch proactive
communications plan internally and externally.
· Build and maintain professional relationships with media and gain cooperation and respect to earn a reputation as
a source of reliable, newsworthy information.
· Be able to take on projects independently
· Elevate Marriott International and its distinct brands through prolific events, promotions, that strengthen
recognition and understanding of properties in marketplace and the company.
· Manage and update media database
· Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
· Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
· Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o Communications and Media-Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
o Creative Expression-The ability to generate novel ideas or strategies, and to communicate them with unusual, clever, or novel methods that captivate and influence others.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension – Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
- Public Relations
- Starting in
- As soon as possible