A career with Charleston Place, A Belmond Hotel is a step beyond the ordinary. Where America's favorite travel destination comes to life with our legendary service. Giving guests a different glimpse at a destination they thought they knew. Plus, the potential for personal and career growth are endless. Consider this your personal invitation to a career of detailed experiences and enthusiastic discovery.
A perennially Conde Naste Traveler and Travel + Leisure Award Winner, Charleston Place, A Belmond Hotel strives to deliver memorable experiences that are the ultimate expression of southern hospitality.
SCOPE AND PURPOSE:
Senior executive role with overall responsibility of multi-million dollar hotel operation. Responsible for the management and coordination of overall hotel operation, including financial results, quality and service standards in all departments. Plan, develop, implement and evaluate the quality of products and services. Ensure that the total operation of the hotel is maintained on a daily basis and that the needs of our owners, associates, and customers are met and/or exceeded.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor departmental concerns; alert the Vice President of areas of risk/exposure; make recommendations and implement solutions to problems related to same.
- Participate in formulating and administering company policies, directing and coordinating all Divisional department activities to develop and implement long range goals and objectives to meet business and profitability growth objectives.
- Review weekly pre-convention and meeting planner receptions and monthly marketing plans, preparation and presentation.
- Delegate responsibility to appropriate staff members to ensure that the day-to-day operations functions are carried out.
- Personally manage the staff members who are responsible for the administration area of the Executive Office.
- Monitor labor issues including safety, security, employee relations, labor relations, scheduling, training, grievances and the like.
- Oversee the corrective action procedure to ensure fairness and consistency in administration.
- Ensure that hotel managers and supervisors are adhering to company policies and procedures and administering practices in a fair and equitable manner.
- Represent the hotel at community groups, including the Symphony, City, Convention Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, etc.
- Develop, review, update and implement business strategic planning, including sales and financial performance.
- Maintain safe working conditions and practices.
- Ensure service to all guest follows established standards, is consistent, efficient and courteous.
- Practice emergency procedures in compliance with hotel/company standards; react and assist in hotel emergency situations as needed.
- Maintain complete knowledge of: all hotel features/services, hours of operation; all room types, numbers, layout, décor, appointments and locations; all room rates, special packages and promotions; daily house count and expected arrivals/departures; previous day’s pickup and anticipated business levels; room availability status for any given day; scheduled in-house group activities, locations and times; monthly forecast and budget items.
- Stay informed of hospitality trends on local and national levels.
- Tour hotel daily; audit staff adherence to hotel policies and procedures; follow up with designated personnel where needed.
- Assign work duties to staff in accordance with divisional procedures. Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the week. Identify situations that compromise the hotel’s standards and delegate these tasks.
- Inspect the grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Assist staff with their job functions to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Ensure security measures are in place. Adhere to hotel requirements for guest/employee accidents or injuries and in emergency situations.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Assist in preparing for and working at any hotel function.
Communications and Training
- Serve as leader/mentor of hotel’s Executive Committee
- Oversee department head meetings, discussing specific business needs for the coming week and interdepartmental communications and problem solving.
- Confer with departmental managers to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals or objectives as dictated by specific business needs.
- Prepare and conduct management performance evaluations.
- Promote teamwork, employee motivation and morale.
- Enhance company EEO position by making a good faith effort to recruit, select, develop, and retain protected class employees.
- Ensure that all staff attend required training in hazardous communication, safety, and sanitation as established by local and government regulations.
- Establish and maintain quality recognition programs within the hotel.
- Interview applicants for division heads and any other positions as needed.
- Monitor the hiring, evaluation, training and discipline of all hourly employees by department managers to ensure consistency in administering direction; follow up with corrections where needed.
- Mentor and train appropriate employees to next managerial position. Mentor and train appropriate department heads to the next level.
- Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to divisional standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Monitor the staff’s interaction with guests, ensuring prompt and courteous service; resolve discrepancies with respective personnel.
- Observe guest reactions and confer frequently with staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Promote positive guest relations at all times.
- Monitor and handle guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Provide feedback to all staff on their performance. Handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees and managers according to hotel standards.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Provide training, development, professional discipline and positive support for all management personnel to ensure qualitative standards and growth for both the individual and the operation.
- Administer annual performance evaluations for all managers.
- Help conduct daily stand-up meetings; review all information pertinent to the day’s business.
- Ensure by example that the Belmond philosophy is known.
- Observe standards for the department in image, appearance, and grooming; properly represent the company and the profession to outside organizations and the community.
- Be knowledgeable of, implement, communicate, and comply with policies of Charleston Place Hotel, its Hotel Human Resources Department, and Belmond.
- Ensure security and confidentiality of all guest and hotel information.
- Review analyses of activities, costs, operations, and forecast data to determine department or division progress toward stated goals and objectives. Compare to projections and develop action plan if off target.
- Determine weekly short term financial outlook (revenue position against plan).
- Review and approve purchase orders, invoices, and payroll.
- Ensure standards for quality in guest service, equipment and productivity and that cost-effective technology is used to maximize profits.
- Develop quarterly marketing action plan and annual budget and business plan.
- Review weekly payroll; identify and implement methods for efficiency and reduction of payroll costs.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and yearly financial forecasts.
- Prepare annual capital expenditures report.
- Administer pay increases according to length of service, performance evaluation and hotel policy standards.
Charleston Place, a Belmond Hotel provides a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, vision, disability, life and AD&D insurance. You are eligible for the majority of these plans after 60 days of full-time employment. The effective date will be the first of the month following your 60th day worked. We also offer 401(k) retirement savings plan, paid vacation and holidays, as well as tuition assistance.