Area of Interest: Information Technology
Job Title: Director, Connectivity Operations & System Engineering
We are currently seeking a Director, Connectivity Operations & Systems Engineering. This position provides connectivity satellite operations and systems engineering technical leadership for the analysis, design, development of optimal ship to shore connectivity, onboard connectivity and data transport to achieve and sustain world class Shipboard Communications and services for the entire Carnival Corporation fleet. This position will lead the team who will be responsible for the end to end engineering of connectivity services for the fleet and will ensure a consistent end user experience across all 102+ ships. This will include analyzing products, applications, and solutions to determine what can be done to further optimize, performing studies to determine where efficiencies can be garnered in our end to end infrastructure and to research new technology and/or vendors that can enhance the optimization greater by lowering operational costs or improving performance. Selection, transition, and optimization of satellite bandwdith providers is also a key function of this role. Do you want to help shape the future of the internet and communications aspects of the cruise industry with the global leader? This may be the opportunity for you.
- Leadership of connectivity Operations and Systems Engineering discipline. Manage the bandwidth sourcing innvation workstream. Create procedures and cadence for regular fleet wide process to continuously enhance the internet and connectivity experience onboard. Work with partners, Infrastructure, and other groups within IT and the business to collaborate and create a continuous detailed work plan to ensure we are providing the optimal technical solution and most cost effective service delivery of bandwidth to our fleet. Correlate your efforts to the improvement of customer satisfaction metrics. Ensure dry dock and new build process is seamless and consistent.
- Manage the connectivity deployment process inluding antenna, modem, bandwdith analytics development, deployment and issue resolution.
- Play a key leadership role in defining, overseeing and developing overall future technology and architecture strategy. Colloborate closely with connectivity architecture, system architecture, security, quality as well as ongoing support. Direct a team of professional IT technical supervisors, project managers/scrum masters, business analysts, technical staff, and quality control personnel that are responsible for the design, development, integration, implementation of enhancements to existing and new systems as well as support.
- Pilot Programs – Support the evaluation of new technologies, products and services that can bring network-wide efficiencies and savings to Carnival Corporation WAN network resources. Work as necessary assisting our operations and service partners to validate, isolate, and resolve issues during pilot and production phases; Create reports indicating success factors, issues, and improvements that can be achieved for the corporation. Produce communications, documentation and training to move the project from the pilot phase into full operational / production phase and with a formal hand off to the operations team.
- Management reporting, availability & performance - Analyze network performance data and develop plans to address any service impacting trends; develop and provide reporting on a regular basis to brand and corporate management. Closely monitor capacity of the terristrial circuits, optimization devices, iCafe security Ecosystem and prepare and deliver monthy capacity reports. Work closely with the operations team and shipboard staff to understand recurring issues, bugs and areas for enhancement.
- Develop SOWs for services, analyze SOW responses, and negotiate terms and ongoing liaison with suppliers of services. Hire and supervise consultants (onsite, near shore and offshore) and staff to undertake research and development services and technical support.
- Architecture, Documentation, and specifications – define, contribute to, and/or develop infrastructure design and procedures for utilization in our global networks; work as necessary assisting operations and service partners to validate, isolate, and resolve issues during pilot and production phases; work with Product Management teams at operating companies to define product specifications as they relate to ship to shore communications; system design, including hardware and software configuration, estimate of system costs, assessment to ascertain suitability of off-the-shelf or internal build of system components.
- Ensure each direct is performing to the best of their capabilities. Conduct weekly team meeting; provide timely and valuable feeback on the engineers performance; support direct reports careers plans. Help direct reports develop annual goals that are attainable, specific, measurable and timely including training plans.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree
- Discipline/ Major in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering. Advanced Masters degree required
- Technical and managerial certifications are desirable.
- 10+ Years in a technical leadership role at exectuive level. Ability to mentor and coach engineers to provide the optimal business outcomes. 10 + Years of experience supporting and optimizing satellite networks, TCP/IP LAN/WANs, Wireless (802.11x) and Terrestrial networks. Experience with Satellite networks a plus.
- Extensive Knowledge of TCP/IP Networking protocols and standards, routing, multicast, testing of IP based Layer 2 and Layer 3 devices, applications and QoS.
- Experience in RF communications with experience fine tuning WiFi ecosystems in large environments where connectivity is a must.
- Cisco Certifications (CCNP, CCIE, or higher) strongly desired.
- Awareness of cloud computing, SDN and its relative impacts to infrastructure, process, performance.
- Hands on experience with telecommunications networks (Internet protocols, routing, queuing, effects of delay and packet loss, etc.) is required.
- Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of satellite communications.
- Experience with internet optimization products/appliances such as caching, pre-fetch, compression, de-dup, and others.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills required.
- Must have excellent system and component level troubleshooting and problem resolution skills.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with network equipment, testing, troubleshooting, specification of hardware and software.
- Ability to capture and analyze IP packets using tools like Ethereal, Tcpdump and Wireshark.
- Experience in supporting installations, upgrades, and system integration efforts.
- Must be proficient with electrical and communications wiring, operation and setup of personal computers.
- Ability to collaborate well across geographically diverse teams.
- Out of the box thinker that is passionate about service to business partners as well as our guests.
- Passionate about making a positive difference.
Benefits as a member of Carnival's Team:
- A comprehensive healthcare program, dental coverage and flexible spending accounts.
- Company-paid term life insurance and long term disability coverage, employee-paid optional life insurance and other voluntary insurance programs.
- A 401(k) plan that includes up to a 3% company match after one year of service and a discretionary-profit sharing contribution in your second year of eligible employment
- Tuition Reimbursement that provides up to 75% reimbursement for company related professional career development.
- Employee Stock Purchase plan that provides up to a 15% discount off the Fair Market Value of Carnival Corporation Common Stock Paid vacation and sick time.
- An on-site fully accredited preschool educational program that provides developmentally appropriate educational programming for families of children ages 6 weeks through 5 years of age and up to 12 years of age during school holidays and summer vacation in addition to drop-in care for those unexpected childcare conflicts.
- An on-site Health and Wellness Center that provides a full range of activities including weight training machines, free weights, cardiovascular equipment, an aerobic center, massage therapy, certified personal trainers and a wide variety of other programs
- Two complimentary "Fun Ship" cruises a year (based on available space and seniority) as well as discounted rates to friends and family in addition to other discounts to local and neighborhood vendors
Carnival Cruise Line is the most popular cruise brand in North America and operates 25 ships designed to foster exceptionally fun and memorable vacation experiences at an outstanding value. Carnival Cruise Line is the leading provider of year-round Caribbean cruises and also operates seasonal cruises in Europe, Alaska, New England, Canada, Bermuda, Hawaii, Mexican Riviera and the Panama Canal. The brand caters to a wide consumer demographic, appealing to families, couples, singles and seniors alike. One common denominator among Carnival's guests is the desire for a truly fun, memorable and enjoyable vacation experience.
Carnival Corporation & plc and Carnival Cruise Line is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. In this regard, it does not discriminate against any qualified individual on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, mental, physical or sensory disability, or any other classification protected by local, state, federal, and/or international law.
req8769Job ID 6432437
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Miami, FL, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible