Area of Interest: Information Technology
Job Title: Engineer, Connectivity Systems
We are currently seeking a Connectivity Systems Engineer. This position provides deep engineering in networking and satellite communications for the analysis, integration and development of optimal ship network and satellite communications to achieve and sustain world class Shipboard Communications and services for the Carnival fleet. This position will be lead technical for the end to end connectivity services for the fleet. This will include analyzing satellite network metrics, network traffic patterns and performing studies to determine where efficiencies can be garnered in our end to end infrastructure. The position will support Service Delivery Engineers on the collection of factual data and act as technical advisor for the evaluation of alternatives that will allow Carnival Corporation´s brands to enjoy an optimal level of service across the global satellite, telecommunications, and wireless / WAN network. You will also be expected to be available to support fellow onboard IT team members on the resolution of network performance issues that require in-depth analysis of traffic statistics and equipment configuration parameters. Do you want to help shape the future of the internet and communications aspects of the cruise industry with the global leader? This may be the opportunity for you.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance for the Systems Engineering discipline – Perform testing of applications and services that our brands are attempting to deploy. Provide leadership and guidance for the ships in Dry Dock operations (Refits). Implement Testing and QA protocols for deployment and troubleshooting of network refresh and applications onboard the Carnival Corporation fleet. Development of documentation and user manuals.
- Internet Optimization Engineering, and End2End Guest/Crew satisfaction – Continuously monitor and enhance the connectivity experience and systems onboard our fleet by perfoming investigation and anlysis of industry treanding data. Work with partners, Infrastructure, and other groups within IT and the business to collaborate and create a continuous detailed work plan to ensure we are providing the optimal technical solution and most cost effective systems to our fleet. Correlate your efforts to the improvement of customer satisfaction metrics across the fleet.
- Systems Engineering of new technologies – Support the evaluation of new technologies, products and services that can bring network-wide efficiencies and savings to Carnival Corporation. Work as necessary assisting our operations and service partners to validate, isolate, and resolve issues during pilot and production phases; Create reports indicating success factors, issues, and improvements that can be achieved for the corporation.
- Reporting, availability & performance - Analyze network performance data and develop plans to address any service impacting trends; develop and provide reporting on a regular basis to brand and corporate management.
- Alternate bandwidth sourcing (ship-shore WiFi, LTE, etc) – Evaluate and develop way to implement multi-mode, least cost routing (MMLCR) using existing or emerging technologies; to determine the optimal method to achieve highly reliable and scalable solutions for connectivity.
- Vendor Management (Contractors and Partners) - Keep a close relationship with the contractor and sourcing companies to sustain a constant flow of services and equipment to the Carnival Corporation brands.
- Architecture, Documentation, and specifications – define, contribute to, and/or develop infrastructure design and procedures for utilization in our global networks; work as necessary assisting operations and service partners to validate, isolate, and resolve issues during pilot and production phases; work with Project Management teams at operating companies to define product specifications as they relate to ship and shore communications, including hardware and software configuration, estimate of system costs, assessment to ascertain suitability of off-the-shelf or internal build of system components.
- Network Optimization – of networks, routers, firewalls, WAN optimization
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Discipline/ Major: Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering. Advanced degree preferred.
- Technical certifications are desirable.
- 10 + Years of experience deploying and optimizing LAN/WANs, Wireless, and Satellite.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP Networking protocols and standards, routing, testing of IP based Layer 2 and Layer 3 devices, applications and QoS.
- Experience in RF communications with experience in link budget analysis. Technical expertise in satellite baseband & modem theory and practical implementation.
- Cisco Certifications strongly desired. Experience with maritime stabilized antennas systems is a desire.
- Hands on experience with telecommunications networks (Internet protocols, routing, queuing, effects of delay and packet loss, etc.) is required.
- Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of satellite communications.
- Experience with traffic shaping, firewalls, internet optimization products/appliances such as caching, pre-fetch, compression, and others will be a plus.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills required.
- Must have excellent system and component level troubleshooting and problem resolution skills.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with network equipment, testing, troubleshooting, specification of hardware and software.
- Ability to capture and analyze IP packets using tools like Ethereal or Tcpdump.
- Experience in supporting installations, upgrades, and system integration efforts for Satellite and Enterprise Networks.
- Must be competent with interpreting and using electrical and mechanical engineering drawings, cables lists and similar documents.
- Must be proficient with electrical and communications wiring, operation and setup of personal computers.
- Ability to collaborate well across geographically diverse teams.
- Out of the box thinker that is passionate about service to business partners as well as our guests.
- Passionate about making a positive difference.
Benefits as a member of Carnival's Team:
- A comprehensive healthcare program, dental coverage and flexible spending accounts.
- Company-paid term life insurance and long term disability coverage, employee-paid optional life insurance and other voluntary insurance programs.
- A 401(k) plan that includes up to a 3% company match after one year of service and a discretionary-profit sharing contribution in your second year of eligible employment
- Tuition Reimbursement that provides up to 75% reimbursement for company related professional career development.
- Employee Stock Purchase plan that provides up to a 15% discount off the Fair Market Value of Carnival Corporation Common Stock Paid vacation and sick time.
- An on-site fully accredited preschool educational program that provides developmentally appropriate educational programming for families of children ages 6 weeks through 5 years of age and up to 12 years of age during school holidays and summer vacation in addition to drop-in care for those unexpected childcare conflicts.
- An on-site Health and Wellness Center that provides a full range of activities including weight training machines, free weights, cardiovascular equipment, an aerobic center, massage therapy, certified personal trainers and a wide variety of other programs
- Two complimentary "Fun Ship" cruises a year (based on available space and seniority) as well as discounted rates to friends and family in addition to other discounts to local and neighborhood vendors
Carnival Cruise Line is the most popular cruise brand in North America and operates 25 ships designed to foster exceptionally fun and memorable vacation experiences at an outstanding value. Carnival Cruise Line is the leading provider of year-round Caribbean cruises and also operates seasonal cruises in Europe, Alaska, New England, Canada, Bermuda, Hawaii, Mexican Riviera and the Panama Canal. The brand caters to a wide consumer demographic, appealing to families, couples, singles and seniors alike. One common denominator among Carnival's guests is the desire for a truly fun, memorable and enjoyable vacation experience.
Carnival Corporation & plc and Carnival Cruise Line is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. In this regard, it does not discriminate against any qualified individual on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, mental, physical or sensory disability, or any other classification protected by local, state, federal, and/or international law.
req8830Job ID 6451895
- Job type
- Miami, FL, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible