The Hotel Manager will report to the General Manager – Scotland & North Cluster and will be the strategic business leader of property operations.
The Hotel Manager will hold the responsibility of Front Office, Business Center, Retail/Gift Shops, Recreation/Fitness Center, Housekeeping, Security/Loss Prevention, Engineering/Maintenance, Food and Beverage/Culinary and Event Management, where applicable. Working directly with Department Heads and in some cases executive committee members to develop and implement the operations strategy and ensuring implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. Accountable and responsible for ensuring the operation meets the brand target customer needs, ensuring employee satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes financial performance. The Hotel Manager will work with the Cluster team and act as the conduit to deliver the agreed operational strategies to deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property employees providing a return on investment.
· Operations manager / limited service GM with 5+ years of progressive experience in hotel industry.
· Proven business acumen with good financial and analytical skills (e.g., ability to analyze P&L statements, develop operating budgets, forecast)
· A working commercial understanding including revenue management, ecommerce and sales.
· Has demonstrated the ability of building high performance operation teams.
· Strong communication, coaching, mentoring, negotiation and mediation skills; is able to articulate compelling ideas
· Change management - must have the ability to support, manage and initiate change within the organization, taking steps to remove barriers and or to accelerate its pace and implementation.
· Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
· Demonstrates ability to deliver results under difficult trading conditions, and shows capability when faced with complexity and ambiguity.
· Experience in evaluating business trends, developing and successfully implementing new operational programs and strategies that enhance business performance.
· Demonstrates success in evaluating risks and developing proactive strategies and plans to mitigate business issues.
· Successful track record of creating positive associate and customer relations.
· High proficiency (speaking, reading and writing) in English is required.
· For Golf and Country Club Hotels: previous experience in the Leisure Market.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
· Ability to creatively execute against a defined strategy and drive results; can create unique guest experiences and maximize revenue.
· Broad business view, solid business acumen obtained from a strong understanding of hospitality.
· Translates business needs into what needs to get done; ensures that all work is completed effectively, solves problems and monitors the progress of work against schedules, budgets; maintains high performance standards
· Deliberate in actions driving a clear a sense of urgency in others. Capable of juggling multiple operations and dealing effectively with changing and ambiguous situations.
· Leads the on property teams and drives actions through all resources whether they are on property or cluster based.
· Self-motivated with the ability to take constructive action without relying on direction from others
· Ability to manage customer preference, loyalty, and engagement drivers and actions
· Good organizational skills
· Good communication skills (verbal, listening, writing, presentation)
· Good problem solving skills, encouraging new innovations where appropriate
· Strong associate relations and customer relations skills
· Recognizes, celebrates and rewards individual and collective successes
· Proven success in talent management (hiring and development)
Education and Professional Certification
· 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 5 years’ experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, finance and accounting, or related professional area.
· 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 3 years’ experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, finance and accounting, or related professional area.
OTHER CONTRUBUTING FACTORS:
· Experience as a General Manager in limited or small full service property. Hotel Manager or Director of Operations experience in full service property.
· The Hotel Manager role requires flexibility in working hours in line with operational needs to include weekends, holidays and late nights.
· Property industry work experience, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
· Language Requirements: Multi-lingual an advantage but not essential
· Travel Requirements: This job requires minimal travel
· Location requirements: The Hotel Manager will be located at the Residence Inn, Aberdeen Hotel and will be required to live within an agreed distance of the property
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Business Strategy Development
Stays current with industry trends and monitors strengths and weakness of competition within the market; explores new operational business opportunities within hotel; support cluster team in developing business plans for the hotel, which are designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures property business plan is aligned with Marriott brand business strategies; translates Marriott global strategic plan into one that can be executed on all properties within the cluster.
Business Strategy Execution
Executes business and operational plans for his/her hotel, which are designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures that individual property business plan and employees are aligned with the various brand business strategies; holds property leadership team accountable for successful delivery of business plans; encourages property leadership teams to experiment with new ideas and takes calculated risks to improve guest satisfaction and profitability; Together with cluster team evaluates the success of property business strategies to inform future business plan enhancements; continually ensures business plans and actions have a positive impact on property performance.
Sales and Marketing
Works closely with the Cluster Sales and Marketing team to develop revenue generating strategies for the property; Helps identifying new business leads, develops tailored sales approach, and actively pursues leads with Sales and Marketing team; ensures sales and marketing strategy is aligned with brand strategy and is effectively executed against established goals;
Talent Management and Organizational Capability
Creates a cohesive and high-performing hotel leadership team that continuously strives for positive results and improvement; coaches hotel operations team members by providing specific feedback and holds them accountable for performance; creates learning and development opportunities for employees; creates and effectively executes development plans for both direct reports based on their individual strengths, development needs, and career aspirations; ensures all managers are doing the same for their direct reports; identifies resource needs to strengthen property team; creates succession plans for future job openings; actively supports the staffing process; ensures effective work processes, systems and teamwork are in place to maximize individual and overall property performance.
Serves as a passionate brand advocate and ensures that the intent of the brand is pulled through operationally in the guest experience; communicates a clear and consistent message on property regarding the various brand goals to employees, the cluster leadership team, and owners; serves as a role model by demonstrating exceptional work ethic and service delivery for all employees within the hotel; champions change; inspires and motivates teams to achieve operational excellence; represents Marriott and its brand values in all leadership actions.
Finance and Business Information Analysis
Reviews business related data for all operational departments within the hotel, including market share, financial performance, inventory, employee engagement, and customer satisfaction; analyzes business information to proactively address changing market conditions, ensures each department acts within budgetary guidelines, and achieves profit margin goals; uses business information to identify indicators of product and service successes and opportunities for improvement; integrates business information into business plans.
Signs off and is fully accountable for the hotel operations; Collaborates predominantly with the Cluster Team in particular Revenue Management, Sales & Marketing, and Finance to effectively manage the P&L; Supports the cluster team with the preparation and presentation of the property operating budget and CapEx plans to MVP, area team and ownership;
Employee and Labor Relations
Ensures all employees are treated fairly, and with respect; builds rapport with employees by fostering an environment of open communication and spending time with employees in the operation; makes self-available to employees (“open door policy”); Works with cluster finance and human resources to ensure pay and benefits are appropriate for labor market; celebrates the success of employees in a public way; works with Human Resources to maximize employee engagement and monitor local labor environment to address issues as needed.
Maintains responsibility for selection, performance management, engagement, and development of property operations team in conjunction with the General Manager for the cluster; Develops bench strength for operational department heads and first time Hotel Manager roles, and finds /cultivates new talent in the market at department head level; Participate in Human Capital Planning Process (HCP) within the cluster.
Works with Cluster Revenue Management team to develop effective pricing strategies for the hotel, balancing seasonality, economy, customer segments, property objectives and customer satisfaction;
Supports cluster team by building excellent rapport with the hotel ownership and asset manager.
Customer and Public Relations Management
Interacts with guests and customers on a daily basis to obtain feedback about their experiences within the hotel and actively utilizes this guest/customer feedback to recognize outstanding employee service performance and improve service delivery; emphasizes and holds hotel operations team members accountable for addressing service failures or potential service failures, and for developing innovative ways to exceed guest expectations; establishes presence in the market by actively promoting an exemplary property/brand image, involving oneself in the community, and by developing strategic alliances with local officials, businesses, and customers; anticipates needs of large groups or high profile guests in order to deliver flawless service; ensures that products, services, and events attain the appropriate publicity (“PR buzz”).
Company/Brand Policy, Procedures, and Standards Compliance
Works closely with cluster engineering team to ensure the property is in compliance with all legal, safety, operations, labor, and Marriott brand product and service standards; Conducts weekly documented routine and quality assurance audits with all departments; holds himself and employees accountable for performing audits on a regular basis; conducts detailed walk-throughs to ensure building, public areas, kitchen, and grounds are well-maintained, safe, and meet or exceed guest expectations; ensures employees are appropriately trained and performing to standard.
· Is fully accountable for the execution of the operating plan of the hotel and the consistent implementation of brand or regional initiatives.
· Works with cluster discipline leaders ( Finance, Human Resources, Sales and Marketing & Engineering) to ensure appropriate pull-through of key initiatives and day to day operational issues.
· Keeps operations team focused on the critical components of operations to drive guest satisfaction and the desired financial results.
· Ensures that all operational areas have an atmosphere that is conducive to the overall guest experience.
· Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how the hotel / departments are performing against budget.
· Ensures capital expenditure funds are being used to address the priorities outlined in the service strategy.
· Works with direct reports to determine areas of concern and establishing ways to improve the departments’ financial performance.
· Strives to maintain profit margins without compromising guest or employee satisfaction.
· Identifies and analyzes operational challenges and facilitates the development of solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
· Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy & rate, wages and controllable expenses.
· Reviews the local wage data and compares budgeted wages to actual wages, coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holds team accountable for results.
· Develops an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
· Makes and executes key decisions to keep property moving forward towards achievement of goals.
· Managing Property Operations
· Strives to improve service performance.
· Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding operational goals to produce desired results on a continuous basis.
· Ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
· Ensures core elements of the service strategy are in place to produce the desired results.
· Tours building on a regular basis speaking with employees and guests to understand business needs and assess operational opportunities.
· Looks to drive innovative solutions to grow revenue along with the Cluster, UK Area and CLS team;
· Leverage property and centralized corporate services to ensure operational excellence;
· Leading Property Operations Teams
· Establishes (together with Cluster Team) the vision for product and service delivery on property.
· Champions the brand’s service vision for product and service delivery and ensuring alignment amongst the property leadership team.
· Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
· Supports and implements those opportunities or synergies identified by the cluster team to drive and improve financial, operational, guest and associate results
· Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
· Observes service behaviors of employees and providing feedback to individuals and/or managers.
· Hires operations management team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
· Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
· Utilizes an “open door” policy and reviewing employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
· Stays knowledgeable of leadership talent in the property and where applicable in the local area
· Fosters employee commitment to providing excellent service, participating in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and employees.
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Starting in
- As soon as possible