Functions as the strategic business leader of the property's Rooms department. Responsible for planning, developing, implementing and evaluating the quality of property’s rooms. Position works with direct reports to develop and implement departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensures Rooms operations meet the brand’s standards, targets customer needs, ensures employee satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes the financial performance of the department. Develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and employees and provides a return on investment to the owner and company.
Education and Experience
· 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
· 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Rooms Team
· Champions the brand’s service vision for product and service delivery.
· Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
· Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep property moving forward toward achievement of goals.
· Monitors and promotes room rates, specials, and promotions at the residence.
· Analyzes service issues and identifies trends.
· Works with Rooms team to develop an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
· Reviews and audits expenses.
Managing Revenue Goals
· Monitors Rooms operations sales performance against budget.
· Reviews reports and financial statements to determine Rooms operations performance against budget.
· Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy and rate, wages and controllable expenses.
· Compares budgeted wages to actual wages, coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holding team accountable for results.
Ensuring and Providing Exceptional Customer Service
· Demonstrates and communicates key drivers of guest satisfaction for the brand’s target customer.
· Delivers excellent customer service throughout the customer experience and encourages the same from other employees.
· Reviews guest feedback with leadership team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
· Coordinates and communicates event details both verbally and in writing to the customer and property operations.
· Creates an atmosphere in all Rooms areas that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
· Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
· Uses personal judgment and expertise to enhance the customer experience.
· Stays available to solve problems and/or suggest alternatives to previous arrangements.
· Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
· Stays visible and interfaces with customers on a regular basis to obtain feedback on quality of product, service levels and overall satisfaction.
· Works to continually improve customer service by integrating obtained feedback and personal judgment into action plans.
· Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
· Ensures that employees understand expectations and parameters for Room duties.
· Facilitates the development of creative solutions to overcome obstacles and ensures implementation to continually improve guest satisfaction results.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
· Interviews and hires employees.
· Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
· Ensures that regular, ongoing communication is happening in Rooms (e.g., pre-shift briefings, staff meetings).
· Fosters employee commitment to providing excellent service, participates in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and employees.
· Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of staff/operations meetings with an emphasis on generating innovative ways to continually improve results.
· Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
· Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
· Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
· Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
· Champions change, ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
· Identifies talents of direct reports and their teams, and assists with their growth and development plans.
· Adaptability – Develops strategies and identifies resources to implement and manage change; models flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates the need for change in a positive way that encourages commitment.
· Communication - Actively listens and uses appropriate communication styles to deliver complex information in a clear concise way and influences others to accept a point of view, gain consensus, or take action.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Models and sets expectations for solving complex problems, collecting and comparing information to evaluate alternatives, considering their potential impact before making decisions, involving others to gain agreement and support, and guiding others to implement solutions.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results - Focuses and guides others in accomplishing work objectives.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships - Develops and uses collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of organizational units, jobs, and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information (e.g., data related to employee engagement, guest satisfaction, and property financial performance) to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o Detail Orientation - The ability to attend to and verify the accuracy and completeness of details in work activities. This includes focusing on the small details of work activities and taking the necessary time to ensure that all the details of completed work are correct and of high quality.
o General Hotel Operations - Knowledge of the operating principles and practices of all brand/hotel-specific functions to support successful operations of the overall property (e.g., Engineering/Maintenance, Event Management, Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Legal/Contracting, Food and Beverage, Guest Services/Front Desk, Sales & Marketing, Security/Loss Prevention, Retail/Gift Shops, Spa, and Recreation/Health Club).
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Tokoname, Japan
- Rooms division
- Starting in
- As soon as possible