Accountable for overall success of the daily Banquet kitchen operations. Exhibit culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading staff and managing all food related functions. Work to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Supervises all kitchen areas to promote a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Promote that sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 2 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Kitchen Operations for Property
• Designs customer test meal standards in conjunction with Catering leadership.
• Develops key equipment needs lists for capital expenditures of kitchen equipment.
• Directs banquet main kitchen, commissary, and garde manger.
• Creates core list of desired vessels for presentations and approves purchases through the Executive Steward.
• Leads Banquet kitchen management team. Provides direction for all day-to-day operations.
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and build mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members. Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an "open door" policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Supervises and coordinate activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation. Demonstrates new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
Setting and Maintaining Goals for Culinary Function and Activities
• Develops and implement guidelines and control procedures for purchasing and receiving areas.
• Establishes goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Communicates the importance of safety procedures, detailing procedure codes, verifying employee understanding of safety codes, monitoring processes and procedures related to safety.
• Manages department controllable expenses including food cost, supplies, uniforms and equipment.
• Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility. Knows and implements the brand's safety standards.
Verifying Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Sets presentation standards for plated and buffet items. Developes recipe cards and menu engineering strategies for hot and cold dishes.
• Monitors the quality of raw and cooked food products to promote that standards are met.
• Determines how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
• Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
• Promotes compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Verifies employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
• Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
Promoting Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides and support service behaviors that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Manages day-to-day operations, verifying the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Establishes guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters.
• Verifies employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
• Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Verifies employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Trains kitchen associates on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations.
• Creates learning opportunities, core training, and continuing culinary techniques training for Senior Sous Chefs and Catering sales team members.
• Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers. Interacts with other department on training regarding food knowledge and menu composition.
• Verifies disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
• Recruits, hires, and trains other Culinary positions (e.g., Senior Sous Chef) as well as Culinary administrative support.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Maintains consistent knowledge of current food trends and techniques.
- Job type
- Aurora, CO, United States
- F&B other
- Starting in
- As soon as possible