This role is responsible for the prospecting and conversion of Great Room Events. The Great Room is one of the largest and most famous hotel function rooms in Europe, hosting high profile events for over 85 years including the BAFTAs, Pride of Britain Awards and attracting royalty, politicians and celebrities from around the World. With a capacity of 2,000 guests, this position has a key role in achieving the hotel’s catering budget.
This position will also provide support for Social and Wedding enquiries and conversion, and as such will work closely with the Wedding & Social Manager, and Operational Management team.
· Grosvenor House - London
· 496 Guest Rooms & Suites
· 5 Star
· 57,763 square feet of Banqueting & Meeting space
· No direct reports
· The position will be targeted to manage current business relationships, as well as develop new business for both the existing year and will also be targeted to deliver contracted business for future years. Clear market responsibility, as well as targets based against the hotel’s budgets will ensure a focused approach. The targets will be based around revenue production in the following markets: Catering (banqueting) and Groups from Catering led accounts.
· Solid sales & account managements skills are essential, with a strong knowledge of banqueting trends and procedures. A good researcher, negotiator and client focused approach is required. The candidate should be able to show strong knowledge of constructing and executing sales & client action plans. There should be excellent communication (verbal & written) skills, confident presentation ability and a second language would be an advantage. A minimum of 3 years direct sales experience is essential (including skills in dealing with group/event decision makers), with experience in the social group & banqueting sales market a desirable asset.
Skills and Knowledge
· Experience in Event Planning and Management
· Possesses excellent telephone sales skills
· Excellent selling skills and understanding of sales processes; can effectively upsell products and services; can bring a sale to closure
· Knowledge of operations and associated challenges for all brands
· Knowledge of all Marriott Lodging products, cultures and brand strategies
· Knowledge of contractual agreements and legal implications
· Knowledge of the hotel & company pricing policies, as well as negotiation guidelines
· Knowledge of food trends, food and beverage composition and menu planning
· Knowledge of food and beverage forecasting and attrition (Catering focused)
· Knowledge of need time strategy as developed by Revenue Management
· Strong customer and development and relationship management skills
· Knowledge of group, extended stay and transient business
· Understands revenue management functions and account profitability
· Effective decision making skills
· Ability to influence others
· Strong problem-solving skills
· Ability to develop and maintain relationships e.g., associates, customers, vendors
· Good negotiation skills
· Strong presentation and platform skills
· Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
· Strong organization skills
· Strong customer and associate relation skills
· Knowledge of overall hotel operations as they affect department
· Ability to use standard software applications and hotel systems including SFA, NGS, Delphi, etc.
Leadership and competences
The ability to be a strong figurehead within the hotel and lead by example. Ensure that there is effective communication to both the customer and fellow Associates. To ensure that all proactive sales support, reactive sales & event management are given the correct information and leadership to ensure that they can carry out their roles.
Balanced Scorecard Results: Supports strategies and conducts activities to drive market share, guest satisfaction and financial results.
· Sales and Marketing: Focuses on building the unit’s top line revenue by proactively soliciting and managing group/catering related opportunities. Upsells each business opportunity to maximize revenue. Achieves individual and team sales goals to enable business success.
· Guest Satisfaction: Ensures sales information provided to Event Management is accurate, complete and timely and enables units to meet or exceed guest expectations. Continuously focuses on improving guest satisfaction to create customer loyalty and increase market share.
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
Sales and Revenue Management
Works collaboratively with off-property sales channels (e.g., Event Booking Center, Market Sales, Strategic Accounts) to ensure sales efforts are coordinated, complementary and not duplicative.
Plays a proactive part in the Sales Strategy Meeting and is aware of selling requirements, restrictions and actions stemming from this meeting.
Responds to incoming group/catering opportunities for the hotel that are outside parameters of the Event Booking Center.
Proactively identifies, qualifies and solicits new group/catering business to achieve personal and hotel revenue goals.
Ensures that the correct contracts and administration are completed and filed in an orderly fashion, to give quick access to client information.
Utilize Delphi to manage sales & account relationships, as well as group/banqueting bookings. Ensure that information is correct, up to date and the database is current.
Understands the overall market - competitors’ strengths and weaknesses, economic trends, supply and demand etc. and knows how to sell against them.
Closes the best opportunities for the hotel based on market conditions and hotel needs.
Uses negotiating skills and creative selling abilities to close on business and negotiate contracts.
Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new customers to enable future bookings. Activities include sales calls, entertainment, FAM trips, trade shows, etc.
Effectively manages and develops relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
Monitors same day selling procedures to maximize room revenue and control hotel occupancy.
Effectively use sales resources and administrative/support staff.
Conducts site inspections.
Creates contracts as required.
Works with the Revenue Management Team to ensure that correct tracking data is collected and recorded.
Sets a positive example for guest relations.
Provides accurate, complete and effective turnover to Event Management and Hotel Operations Team.
Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels; effectively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
Attends pre- and post-convention meetings to understand group needs, obtain feedback on quality of product (e.g., rooms, meeting facilities and equipment, food and beverage), service levels and overall satisfaction.
Observes service behaviors of associates and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers; continuously strives to improve service performance.
Reviews meeting planner results to understand level of guest satisfaction; continuously strives to improve service performance.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by management.
Complies with Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures.
Working hours as required to do your job but normally not less than 40 hours per week.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
- Job type
- London, United Kingdom
- Sales & Marketing
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- Contract duration
JW Marriott Grosvenor House London
The hotel boasts 496 luxurious guest rooms including 73 suites, and offers a wide array of culinary experiences, from elegant, award-winning afternoon tea or a glass of Champagne in The Park Room to an evening cognac at the The Library Bar. For a fantastic dinner, JW Steakhouse embodies the hotel’s historical American connections, allowing guests to indulge in London’s finest steaks in a classic American steak house setting. For a more traditional British setting, enjoy a delicious international meal at Corrigan’s Mayfair. For a drink, enjoy one of the many Bourbons on offer at the Bourbon Bar or experience the famous Red Bar and its unique cocktails.
Near to everything, convenient for everyone, the hotel has an unrivaled range of entertaining space. With 20 meeting rooms in 86 Park Lane including the famous Great Room and the Ballroom, totaling 5,660 square meters, it is one of the most flexible and elegant venues in London for a business or social event, whether entertaining on the grandest scale or working one to one.