What will I be doing?
A Utility Steward is responsible for restocking and cleaning cooking utensils and service ware in order to provide cooks, buspersons and food servers with appropriate equipment for guests'' dining experience. Also requires cleaning of physical surroundings and delivery of food and equipment in a friendly, courteous, timely and professional manner. Specifically, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Promptly and carefully sorts and pre washes by hand, soiled ware so that it can be put through the dish or pot machine properly. Quickly washes all ware, lifts and carries ware, and replaces in
storage areas as designated. Sets up and breaks down dishwashing machine by assembling/disassembling various parts by extending arms overhead, bending, stooping, standing and pushing/pulling items weighing up to 50 lbs. overhead.
- Performs all general sanitation cleaning duties of kitchen facilities, such as sweeping and mopping floors, scrubbing/ polishing baseboards, walls, and high ceilings and other parts of the kitchen. Requires working at ground level and at levels of up to 10 feet, utilizing ladders or stools. Utilizes proper brushes, cloths, tools and chemical cleaning agents for the safe and proper cleaning of surfaces. Empties garbage cans into compactor, extending arms and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Detarnishes/polishes silver utilizing various varnishing and polishing chemicals. Sorts and counts silverware.
- Cleans kettles, tilt skillets, pots and pans promptly and completely by bending and standing for extended periods of time. Ensures that appropriate and adequate amounts of cooking vessels are
available at all times. Cleans and sanitizes all food/beverage dispensers, chaffing dishes, juice dispensers, fruit bowls, condiment bowls, and pastry trays.
- Maintains dish washing machine, ensuring that it is properly cleaned and filled with water per hotel standards. Requires bending, stooping or standing for extended periods of time, while lifting items weighing up to 50 lbs. overhead. Adheres to all safety
instructions to properly sanitize and maintain dish washing machines.
- Operates burnishing machine to ensure proper finish on silverware
utilizing various polishing chemicals. Inspects silverware and notifies supervisor of broken or unusable pieces.
- Transports food and equipment to various kitchens and other locations throughout the hotel property, following HACCP and food sanitation standards as they apply to transporting and handling hot and cold food items. Requires the safe and timely transportation of items weighing up to 50 lbs. or up to 200 lbs. With wheeled assistance throughout the property, on various surfaces (smooth, bumpy, uneven,...).
- Sets up and breaks down equipment for functions. Replenishes food, dishes, ice, and utensils for buffet lines and pupu parties, transporting items weighing up to 50 lbs. And up to 200 lbs. with wheeled assistance.
- Receives and unloads food for storage in appropriate storage containers. Transports food to storage refrigerators/bins lifting items weighing up to 50 lbs. or up to 200 lbs. with wheeled assistance. Requires the ability to travel on a variety of surfaces (i.e., wet, uneven) and in varying temperatures (i.e., refrigerators, freezers).
- Maintains clean and orderly food storage areas, ensuring that proper food storage procedures and rotations are maintained.
- Maintains paperwork for the receiving and storage of food items. Submits receipts and orders to the Executive Chef/Sous Chef.
What are we looking for?
- Previous stewarding, janitorial, buffet runner or similar experience is preferred
- Hospitality experience preferred
- Must be able to comprehend basic mathematical calculations
- Must be able to communication in English
- Ability to obtain Tuberculosis Clearance Certification required
- Ability to obtain CPR Certification and/or First Aid training preferred
- Ability to complete HAZCOM and MSDS training required
- Willingness to maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance in accordance with Hilton Hawaiian Village''s grooming standards
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred
- Ability to speak another language in addition to English is preferred, with Japanese being the most desirable
- Due to the immediate nature of this opening, only applicant currently residing in the state of Hawaii will be considered; no relocation or visa sponsorship available
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to learn and apply HACCP and food sanitation standards as they pertain to handling and transporting hot and cold food items.
- Knowledge of service ware and how to maintain same in order to compliment guest experience.
- Ability to read the English language so as to fully comprehend job requests, caution notices and similar written materials.
- Ability to work with a variety of cleaning chemicals.
- Ability to stand and work continuously in confined areas.
- Ability to work in extreme temperature conditions.
- Ability to stand, kneel, stoop, and walk continuously throughout the work shift.
- Ability to operate hydraulic lifts and drive carts throughout the property in a safe manner.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry and transport heavy objects through a crowded room by pushing/pulling wheeled carts or hand trucks up to a maximum of 200 lbs. and lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to lift and extend arms overhead, bend, stoop, walk, push/pull heavy equipment and stand for extended periods of time. Physical strength and stamina are essential to this position due to the high activity level.
Since being founded in 1919, Hilton has been a leader in the hospitality industry. Today, Hilton remains a beacon of innovation, quality, and success. This continued leadership is the result of our Team Members staying true to our Vision, Mission, and Values. Specifically, we look for demonstration of these Values:
- Hospitality - We''re passionate about delivering exceptional guest experiences.
- Integrity - We do the right thing, all the time.
- Leadership - We''re leaders in our industry and in our communities.
- Teamwork - We''re team players in everything we do.
- Ownership - We''re the owners of our actions and decisions.
- Now - We operate with a sense of urgency and discipline
In addition, we look for the demonstration of the following key attributes:
- Customer Focus
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Waikīkī, Honolulu, HI, United States
- F&B service
- Starting in
- As soon as possible