Principle Responsibilities & Position Purpose:
Responsiblefor the effective operational management of the hotel so that Heads ofDepartment achieve and exceed their budget and guest satisfaction targets.
Hotel Strategy and Margins
• To support the overall strategicmanagement of the hotel by establishing effective working relationships with GMand all HOD
• Actively participate in the keymanagement issues in the property (Capital projects, refurbishment, training,customer service)
• Actively support the DBD by ensuringthat Front Desk and F&B staff are fully trained and committed to upselling
• Actively support the DBD in thegeneration of revenue by ensuring the highest possible level of collaborationin Conference & Banqueting organisation to maximise yield and profit.
Conduct routine inspections ofall areas of the hotel.
• To achieve the planned operational profitmargins in both Food & Beverage and Rooms
• Ensure that costs are controlled in adetailed and structured manner. Analyse costs on a monthly basis and prepareaction plans (Cost per occupied room; food cost; beverage costs; payrollincluding overtime; other expenses; other outsourced labour or services)
• To jointly develop and maintain theclosest possible understanding of revenue (in rate, volume or Banqueting) fromthe DBD to ensure the greatest level of alignment between revenue and cost.
Management Team Development
• To manage all the direct reports (e.g.Chef, F& B Outlet Managers, Housekeeper, Front Desk Manager, BanquetingManager, Chief Engineer, Spa Manager, Information System Manager, EntertainmentManager) in a professional and motivating fashion
• Set objectives for each direct report
• Review performance, Identify development needson a regular basis, offer coaching and guidance when appropriate
• Conduct regular Operations meetingsincluding all direct reports.
Employee Management, Training, Productivity &Allocation
• Recruit high quality employees in conjunctionwith HR department.
• Ensure sound performance managementpractices
• To ensure the employees within Operationsare well managed with clear objectives and tasks, well trained and that theyare deployed in the most productive way.
• Ensure a fully trained team ofdepartmental trainers is in place with departmental training action plans,rolling 3 month training plan (with HRM)
• Ensure all employees are fully trained injob skills and customer service based on departmental service standards andrecords are maintained. (with HRM)
• Ensure effective standards of two-way communicationexists for all employees
• Responsible for the participation of allnew team members to the Hilton Orientation program and ensures departmentalinduction takes place.
• Ensures that work schedules/rosters arewritten according to hotel needs and compliance to labour laws.
Quality, Service Levels & Brand Standards
• To ensure the highest standards ofquality in all aspects of the hotel operation, guaranteeing that brand valuesand standards are never compromised
• Ensure highest possible levels ofcustomer service across the operation
• Actively follow up on GSTS & mysteryreports instituting corrective actions in a fast and effective manner
• Actively investigate what further reformsto the operation may be necessary to raise standards
• Ensure that brand standards / use of logoare never compromised
Food & Beverage Operations
• To oversee the running of all Food &Beverage operations ensuring that all department service standards are metconsistently
• Guarantee all aspects of food &service quality in all the outlets
• Oversee the management of all outlets,the kitchen(s) and Banqueting ensuring that standards, efficiencies and qualityare actively promoted and delivered
• Ensure the most cost-effective F & B purchasing/ menu engineering to meet cost/revenue priorities
• To investigate and implement new F&Bconcepts with the full involvement of the GM & the VP.
• Through F&B departmental Managers ensure the mostcost-effective promotion of all aspects of the F&B operation in conjunctionwith the DBD (menu presentations/menu/pricing/promotions and ongoing activities).
• Assist DBD in establishing with C&BSales an efficient and competitive C&B strategy including all pricing.
• Evaluate competitors products and pricepolicy twice per year.
Rooms Division Operations
• To oversee the running of all RoomsDivision operations ensuring that all departmental service standards are met consistently.
• To ensure that the Front Desk operation,including telephone and all uniformed services, works to the highest standards forcustomer satisfaction and cost-effectiveness
• To ensure that all Front Desk systems arefully and effectively utilised and that regular, ongoing training is organized.
• To ensure that the housekeeping function(whether outsourced or not) is run to the highest professional quality standardsat the lowest level of cost
• Ensures good work liaisons with other departments(Hsk/Eng/Accounting)
• Participates in Weekly FO meetings toanalyse performance/business and to implement action for improvement and teamspirit.
• Ensures with the FDM and Revenue Managerthat a maximum occupancy is reach daily.
• Responsible to ensure best qualityof cleanliness throughout the hotel.
• Ensures VIP rooms are checked on a dailybasis.
• To oversee the running of an Engineering operationensuring that all departmental service/legal/safety standards are met consistently
• To ensure that the Engineering team workswithin all legal and organisational standards and that technical efficiency is maintainedat an optimum level
• With the Chief Engineer and, mostimportantly, the General Manager, ensure that the highest possible attention ispaid to the safety and security of all guests and staff through detailedreviews and checks on all procedures, equipment etc.
• Challenge existing levels of POMECexpenditure with the Chief Engineer ensuring that energy, payroll and othercosts are at the lowest possible level consistent with safety and qualitystandards
• Ensure effective planning of maintenanceworks to guarantee standard of product quality
Ensures through ChiefEngineer that repairs are recorded and dealt with in the quickest possibletime.
• Ensure all IT policy are in place as perpolicy
• Review and approval of all expensesaccounts for IT
• Prepare yearly budgets in conjunctionwith GM/DBD/DOF/HR for- revenue; ff&e; staffing; capital expenditure; costsand expenses.
• Review and approval of all expenseaccounts for Operations Team
• Participate in forecast meetings
These are the skills, qualities and attributes one will need todemonstrate in order to carry out the job effectively.
What are we looking for?
A Director of Operations serving Hilton brands is always working on behalf of our Guests and working with other Team Members. To successfully fill this role, you must possess the following qualifications, behaviors, attitude, skills and values that follow:
1. BachelorDegree in Hotel & Hospitality/Tourism Management or equivalent.
2. A MasterDegree in Hotel & Hospitality / Tourism Management or equivalent will be anadvantage.
SPECIFICJOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Theindividual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and beable to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essentialfunctions of the job.
- A minimum of 3 years'' experience in a similar position in a similarcategory of hotels.
- Knowledge in all areas of hotel management. Strong commercial acumen,preferably with experience in Food & Beverage or Rooms Management.
- Requires considerable managerial skills as position involves frequentdecisions, meeting of deadlines, negotiations of contracts of vendors,analytical ability and the planning, organisational development andcoordination of large scale projects.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, complete and finish tasks and projects.
- Experience in managing budgets, revenue proposals and forecastingresults.
- Ability to provide focus, counsel and direction to all direct reports andmanagers.
- Ability to effectively deal with a variety of audience, someof whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- Strong computer literacyincluding knowledge of Windows XP and Microsoft Office Suite of productsincluding Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability toread, analyze and interprete financial reports.
- Strongleadership skills to effectively manage and motivate the team to achieve highlevels of performance and exceed targets.
- Ability to develop and implement improvement programs.
- Knowledge of hotel property management systems.
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Flic en Flac, Mauritius
- Starting in
- As soon as possible