The attorney in this position will be part of the Marriott Law Department and will work in the Hong Kong office. This position will oversee and provide legal services in the area of Continent Compliance.
The attorney in this position will provide legal assistance and advice to business partners and staff departments for the Asia Pacific Continent as well as with attorneys and paralegals within Asia Pacific and externally with outside counsel, vendors, and consultants.
· Excellent academic records with a law degree from a top law school; admission to the bar of a US state or its equivalent abroad;
· Minimum of 12 years PQE experience with at least 5 years’ experience on compliance matters, including FCPA and UK Anti-Bribery Act, preferably with a multi-national corporation
· Experience interfacing with government agencies which maintain jurisdiction over compliance matters;
· Demonstrated ability to take ownership of and solve problems, and to expeditiously provide recommendations which are consistent with good business practices and common sense;
· Ability to think creatively, to supervise multiple and complex matters, and to work independently and effectively with clients, peers, and other parties;
· High degree of competence and familiarity with computers and the internet;
· Outstanding analytical, writing, and oral presentation skills;
· Constructive approach to dealing with conflict, and ability to influence and achieve successful results without damaging relationships;
· Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
· Ability to work independently, take ownership of, and effectively resolve problems;
· Strong interpersonal and consultative skills; ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with individuals at all levels.
· Ability to read and speak Chinese (Mandarin) a plus
Specific Job Summary and Expected Contributions
· Support the objectives set by the Audit Committee established by the Board and Directors and the Company’s Legal and Ethical Steering Committee (LESC) by working closely with the Law Department’s Global Compliance Office and Internal Audit Department;
· Ensure strong coordination and cooperation are achieved between the Law Department and other corporate departments with compliance obligations such as Internal Investigations, the Internal Audit Department, the Corporate Secretary’s Office, Government Affairs, and the Finance organization to ensure that roles and responsibilities are understood in matters of legal and ethical compliance;
· Take primary responsibility for managing compliance in various Asia-Pacific jurisdictions including the PRC, India, Thailand, Korea, Japan, Australia, Malaysia and Singapore as well as adherence to the Company’s high ethical standards;
· Work with designated business leaders with compliance responsibility and other compliance offices within the Company to with respect to multi-faceted training and awareness program that focuses on key areas of compliance risk and seeks to ensure that all appropriate employees and management are cognizant of their legal duties under applicable laws and corporate policies;
· Collaborate with the appropriate business leaders to develop practical, effective processes and controls to ensure compliance through oversight and monitoring;
· Support the Continent’s Legal and Ethical Compliance Counsel (LECC) and serve as a primary liaison to the Company’s LESC;
· Facilitate the implementation of the Company’s global compliance policies and procedures in the Asia Pacific Continent and to enhance the Continent’s compliance posture through ongoing risk assessments, relevant training and communication programs, and the initiation of effective remedial measures as necessary recognizing the critical importance of the U.S. Federal Sentencing Guidelines’ elements of an effective compliance program;
· On a continual basis, seek ways to increase contacts and strengthen ties with the Law Department’s Global Compliance Group and Internal Audit;
· Maintain the highest levels of coordination with Marriott’s Chief Internal Audit Executive and Global Compliance Counsel with respect to all matters pertaining to the compliance program;
· Provide legal advice and tactical direction to auditors, investigators and human resource managers in internal investigations;
· Participate in remediation decisions and in proposing corrective action, including proposing individual disciplinary action as required in serious cases of non-compliance;
· Provide training, legal oversight and expertise relative to the management of an effective compliance program at all levels of the Continent’s operations to sustain the Company’s confidence in local compliance and to ensure vigilance against non-compliance with a strong focus on the US FCPA, UK Anti-Bribery Act, OFAC, anti-trust laws and data protection laws in all relevant jurisdictions;
· Monitor current and evolving statutes, regulations, and case law related to areas of critical or strategic importance to enterprise-wide legal and ethical compliance program in global business environment;
· Ensure that accurate and timely reporting of compliance events and concerns is furnished to the appropriate executives in the Company’s LESC, Law Department and Internal Audit;
· Support and lead investigations of suspected or alleged non-compliance utilizing internal and external investigative and audit resources by (1) ensuring investigations are handled promptly, fairly and resolved consistently, (2) ensuring matters appropriate for investigation receive timely follow up, and (3) providing guidance on or leading investigations.
This attorney must perform the duties and responsibilities above in the following manner:
- Be responsible for own work and contributing to team, department and/or business results;
- Set priorities and measurable objectives;
- Monitor and report on process, progress and results;
- Direct work of non-management staff when appropriate;
- Influence work of cross-functional, multi-disciplinary or extended teams;
- Assist more senior associates in achieving business results by:
- acting in a consultative fashion to implement programs impacting the broader organization,
- assisting in the development and communication of broader organizational goals,
- achieving results against budget within scope of responsibility,
- taking calculated risks to move the department or team forward,
- developing and using systems to organize and keep track of information,
- balancing the interests of own group with the interests of the organization,
- working with others to identify and remove barriers to success;
- Readily critique own behavior to acknowledge mistakes and improve future leadership performance; and
- Act independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
· Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
· Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
· Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Hong Kong
- Starting in
- As soon as possible