The Vice President Construction and Capital Expenditures will be responsible for overseeing the planning, design and construction for all major Capital Expenditure projects in Hyatt owned hotels in the United States and Caribbean basin. This position is based in Chicago and resides within the Corporate Construction Department and reports to the Global Head of Construction. While the annual Capital Expenditure budget can vary significantly, generally the annual budget for major projects is approximately $100 million.
This individual will work with multiple departments within Hyatt including but not limited to Asset Management and American Design Services in particular, who guide the definition and scope of the various projects.
It is essential that the individual possess strong leadership skills, and has experience in managing the planning and construction of renovation projects in open and operating hotels. The individual will lead a department that currently includes three experienced Project Managers as well as support and field staff.
Additionally, the individual may support the Global Head of Construction on a variety of other departmental and new build project matters.
The individual will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop the budget and schedule for each project.
- Secure the permits and entitlements (as appropriate) for the construction of each project.
- Oversee the selection of the general contractor and the negotiation of the general contract for the construction of each project. Work with the legal department on the negotiation and execution of all contracts related to the planning, design and construction of the projects.
- Manage the performance of all design professionals engaged on each project.
- Monitor the overall process of construction of each project and facilitate the completion of each accordance with the approved budget and schedule.
- Review draw requests, change orders, cash flows and related documents that impact the execution of the planning and construction work. Coordinate payments to contractors, subcontractors and consultants with Hyatt Construction Accounting.
- Coordinate the construction activities with the hotel management team.
- Work with Hyatt’s in house procurement company, Rosemont, to coordinate the purchasing, shipping and installation of all FFE and OSE.
- Ensure accurate books and records are being maintained with respect to the design, planning and construction of each hotel project.
Candidates must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, or equivalent experience.
Minimum 15 years of related experience with a focus on hospitality projects in particular.
Must have experience in pre-construction, design oversight, estimating, bid analysis, budgeting, writing scope of work documents, document interpretation, and preparation of RFPs.
Must possess minimum knowledge of design and construction contracts.
Familiarity with specifications, reading blueprints and plans and all contract documents.
Knowledge of construction processes and terminology.
Proficiency in planning, scheduling, and production in Microsoft Project or equivalent software and in Microsoft.
Proficiency in the use of software-Excel/Word/Outlook, etc. also needed along with estimating software knowledge.
High degree of professionalism and strong work ethic.
Strong organizational, follow-through and communication skills – must be dependable, proactive and prompt.
Document Control Experience.
Ability to multi-task and stay focused on the big picture while addressing daily issues.
Good communication and people skills.
Ability to run and manage meetings.
Ability to travel.
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Chicago, IL, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible