Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the General Manager is responsible to manage property operations on a day to day basis of a single property to assure optimum performance and continual improvement in the five Key Result Areas (guest service, employees, sales/marketing, property appearance, and profit/financial control. Coordinates, directs and manages the staff and everyday hotel operations to achieve profitability, guest satisfaction and efficiency while maintaining standards set by the company assuring 100% guest satisfaction.
GENERAL MANAGER ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Demonstrates and promotes a 100% commitment to providing the best possible experience for our guests and employees.
- Responsible for maximizing revenues and flow through to GOP to meet or exceed budgeted EBITDA.
- Responsible for preparation of property budget and forecasts.
- Manages labor standards and property level expenses to achieve maximum flow through to the bottom line profit.
- Explains and manages financial activities. Reconcile all financial accounts.
- Monitors collection of in-house guest balances and direct bill receivables, commission payments by vendors, and issuance of refund checks.
- Participates and monitors monthly inventory of supplies and equipment. Ensures purchases made are within budget and by approved vendors.
- Works with Director of Sales to manage all sales activities of the property and meet revenue objectives. Activities include setting goals, completing competitive surveys, taking reservations and compiling reports.
- Make sales calls as outlined by the Sales Management Teams and/or the Director of Operations.
- Identifies and seeks out potential business in local market. Maintains relationships with local companies and key people to increase property’s visibility within the local market.
- Coordinates and implements sales and marketing activities of the property.
- Promotes 100% guest satisfaction throughout property. Instills the 100% guest satisfaction objective to AGM and hourly associates.
- Ensures that all guest related issues are resolved in a manner consistent with the company’s goals and objectives.
- Recruits qualified applicants. Trains employees in accordance with company standards.
- Motivates and gives direction to all employees.
- Communicates all policies and procedures to entire staff. Conducts regular meetings to provide various information including company communications, policy reviews, local property activities, goals, etc.
- Adheres to federal, state and local laws employment related laws and regulations.
- Manages employee personnel forms, including hiring, performance evaluations, payroll and benefits related information, required Federal and State postings, etc.
- Conducts coaching/counseling sessions; performance evaluations; prepares performance improvement plans, disciplinary documentation; conducts terminations.
- Ensures that employee related issues are resolved in a manner consistent with company policies.
- Mentors and develops Assistant General Manager/Operations Manager; provides learning opportunities by assigning new tasks in all General Management responsibilities; evaluates AGM’s strengths and weaknesses and provides training and on the job tasks to prepare AGM for GM opportunities.
- Performs duties in all aspects of hotel operations whenever needed.
- Inspects and documents repairs and cleanliness of property with AGM to ensure optimum upkeep and repair, room cleanliness and overall property appearance.
- Serves as “Manager on Duty”
- Manage the Food & Beverage function within the hotel in order to maintain high standards of quality, service and merchandising to maximize profits.
- Provides other relief or back-up duties as needed at the hotel including front desk coverage, housekeeping, and other duties to ensure the optimum operation of the property.
GENERAL MANAGER SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directly manages the hotel staff on a daily basis. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit.
- Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization''s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
- 4-year bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
ORGANIZATION AND TIME MANAGEMENT SKILLS:
- Ability to organize multiple projects; manage and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Basic knowledge of computers and software including ability to use e-mail, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
- Considerable knowledge of computer accounting programs. Budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Ability to access and accurately input information using a moderately complex computer system.
- English language proficiency; communication, listening, applied reading and writing
- Computer skills, problem solving skills, decision-making, arithmetic computation, learning
- Customer service orientation, interpersonal skills, team work, diversity relations
- Integrity, dependability, positive demeanor, presentation, adaptability/flexibility, stress tolerance, initiative
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Job type
- Greensboro, NC, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible