Scope of Position:
The Houseman is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and general appearance of public areas and
corridors of the property as well as maintaining supplies and linen counts for the Room Attendants, and ensuring guest satisfaction whenever necessary.
Position Responsibilities and Qualifications:
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or GED certification helpful or experience in a hotel or related field.
- Hotel knowledge preferred.
- Long hours sometimes required, including nights and weekends.
- Heavy Work-Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 75 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to stand for long hours at a time, sometimes for entire shift.
- Ability to move quickly about the property to the various departments.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly, both oral and written.
- Must work well in stressful, high-pressure situations.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding and clarifying concerns and issues raised by team members and guests.
- Must have the ability to assimilate complex information, data, etc. from disparate sources and consider adjust or modify to meet the constraints of a particular need.
- Must be able to prioritize departmental functions to meet due dates and deadlines.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic function.
Responsibilities may include any and all of the following:
- Approach all encounters with guests and team members in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Prism standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include a clean, pressed uniform and correct nametag when working.
- Comply at all times with Prism standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Must, at all times, be attentive, friendly, helpful and courteous to all guests, managers, and other team members.
- Inspect all public areas to ensure cleanliness standards have been met; reports any problem areas to supervisor.
- Assist room attendant with heavy items such as mattresses and soiled linens. Deliver linens and necessary supplies to room attendants.
- Shampoo carpets, strip and wax floors throughout the hotel as part of preventive maintenance program.
- Clean designated areas such as lobby, public rest-rooms, public areas and back of house areas on property.
- Collect trash throughout the hotel including room attendants’ carts, vending and room service areas, offices and rest rooms. Dispose of trash properly and promptly.
- Respond to guest requests such as delivery of housekeeping supplies (e.g. linens, roll-a-ways, etc.) in a timely and efficient manner. Follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Know and understand all services and amenities the hotel offers.
- Report all maintenance problems or safety hazards by filling out a work order for engineering, or informing management.
- Practice proper safety rules to ensure the safety and security of all guests and Team Members (issuance of keys, not announcing room numbers and fire procedures).
- Have a working knowledge of the hotel’s safety procedures and equipment as well as emergency plans.
- Use chemicals and cleaning supplies according to directions only. Knowledge of location of MSDS book and sheets.
- Collect dirty laundry periodically throughout the day.
- Stock Room Attendant carts to par.
- Replenish stock in housekeeping closets.
- Complete removal of trash and dirty linens from attendant carts.
- Sweep and vacuum floors, hallways and stairwells daily.
- Spot clean walls, carpet, light fixtures etc. as necessary. Report any broken or need for repairs to management or Engineering.
- Perform heavy cleaning daily in high use areas.
- Report any lost and found items to supervisor.
- Maintain storage rooms in a clean and orderly manner.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- Attend meetings/training as required by management.
- Job type
- Richmond, VA, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible