Scope of Position:
The Banquet Captain is responsible for assisting Banquet Manager in overseeing banquet staff and coordinating banquet functions to ensure that groups using the hotel’s banquet facilities are completely satisfied, while maintaining high standards of service.
Position Qualifications and Requirements:
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or GED certification is preferred, and/or equivalent work experience.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit as required by local or state government agency.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in banquet/event servicing roles in hospitality or similar industry.
- Must have a valid state driver’s license from applicable state and MVR in good standing.
- Long hours sometimes required, including nights and weekends.
- Medium Work -Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and /or 30 pounds of force frequently or
constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to stand for long hours at a time, sometimes for entire shift.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly, both oral and written.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be able to work well in stressful, high-pressure situations including the ability to handle guest complaints and disputes and resolve them to satisfactory results.
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must have the ability to assimilate complex information, data, etc. from various sources and consider, adjust or modify to meet the constraints of the particular need.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding and clarifying concerns and issues raised by team members and guests.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic function.
Responsibilities may include any and all of the following:
- Approach all encounters with guests and team members in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Prism standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which includes a clean, pressed uniform and correct nametag when working.
- Comply at all times with Prism standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Must, at all times, be attentive, friendly, helpful and courteous to all guests, managers, and other team members.
- Assist in conducting training of banquet staff in proper set-up, serving and clean up procedures.
- Hold pre-staff meetings with banquet staff to review the specific needs of each group including service procedures, set-up, menus, order of service, and any special request.
- Assist in scheduling and assigning duties to banquet staff, as necessary.
- Ensure all set up and closing duties are completed as assigned; perform set up and closing duties as needed.
- Coordinate the timing of each course to correspond with the dining pace of the guests; assist in the plating of meals; perform all Banquet Server duties as needed.
- Respond quickly to guest requests in a friendly manner. Follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Ensure that all functions are posted correctly on the any property event boards.
- Maintain constant contact with kitchen staff to ensure complete effective communication between food production and food service.
- Ability to read BEOs and Convention resumes with accuracy and an eye for detail.
- Check-in servers, assign stations, and pre-post function side work duties.
- Inspect table place settings, including table linen, china, glass, silverware and condiments for correct placement by set-up crew and to ensure that each element is clean, undamaged and attractive.
- Responsible for proper setting of buffet tables and other food service tables used for catering functions.
- Responsible for all banquet team members on the floor and to supervise service received by the guests
throughout each function assigned.
- Assist in training of staff on food safety, proper lifting and placing of trays, HazComm and other safety topics.
- Supervise clearing and post function cleanup. Check servers out, making sure that function rooms, aisle and storage areas are clean, and equipment is cleaned and stored properly.
- Assure that all china, glassware and silverware is properly separated, stacked and/or racked for delivery to the dishwashing area.
- Return all leftover food to the main kitchen for disposal or recovery in a proper and sanitary manner.
- Prepare daily summary posts all banquet checks.
- Gets accurate count after guests are seated for plating and preparation of guest check. Extend and total the check (double-check for accuracy) and have host sign.
- Supervise the handling, storage, and security of all catering service equipment.
- Work with Banquet Set Up to ensure accurate set-up and cleanliness of function rooms.
- Take charge of responsibilities of Banquet Manager in his/her absence.
- Have knowledge of all areas of catering, food, beverage, coffee breaks, and convention set-up.
- Check “daily” event sheet versus BEO’s for accuracy and make edits as necessary.
- Check schedule for following day for “pop-ups”. Ensure proper coverage.
- Maintain constant communication with guest to ensure the guest has all expectations met with great satisfaction.
- Review BEO with “person in charge” and maintain communication throughout the function.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
Internal: Kitchen: To request food and banquet supplies. Management Staff: To alert of service challenges
External: Guests and Visitors: To provide services
Vendors: Ensure customer Satisfaction
- Job type
- Los Angeles, CA, United States
- F&B other
- Starting in
- As soon as possible