POSITION PURPOSE: Responsible for all aspects of the Property Operations department to include the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all heating, ventilation, refrigeration and mechanical equipment. Develop, coordinate and monitor guestroom, public space and back of house maintenance program to ensure the safety and comfort of all staff and guests. Supervise, train and manage all Engineering staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (include the following. Other duties may be assigned.)
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Develop and implement a preventive maintenance program of all-building equipment and guestrooms, including the training of the Property Operations staff on the management of such a program.
- Maintain inventory of all parts and supplies.
- Purchase all parts, supplies, tools and equipment related to Property Operations through direct contact with sales representatives.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all: heaters, pumps, valves and lines used in the distribution of steam and heated or processed water.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all: refrigerant compressors, Job Description Director of Engineering
- condensers, evaporators, traps, transfer pumps, expansion valves, stop valves as well as all refrigerant lines and devices used to control temperatures.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all chillers and the cooling tower.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all elevators and related mechanical equipment.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all pools and spas.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all spa and fitness equipment.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all in-house laundry and related equipment.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all kitchen equipment.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all: air compressors along distribution lines and all valves and devices for air control.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all: natural and manufactured gas and distribution lines, including all valves and control devices.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all: water filters, softeners, piping and pumps used in conjunction with water distribution, including all sinks and toilet bowls, as well as supply lines and water lines.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all types of motors or engines used to power pumps, compressors and fans.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all types of locks, keys and locksmith related duties, including guestroom key card locks.
- Ensure the proper operation, maintenance and repair of all electrical devices and equipment.
- Coordinate the maintenance repair and installation of carpentry work, and those duties related to carpentry.
- Develop, recommend and direct the operation, policies, procedures, plans and programs of the Property Operations department.
- Conduct a one week formal training program on the required job functions with criterion expected and department orientation with new hires. Conduct on going training with existing staff.
- Administer legally required employment practices such as performance and aptitude reviews.
- Prepare and adjust weekly work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines and labor forecasts.
- Adjust work goals and schedules throughout the week to meet the business demands.
- Coordinate breaks for staff.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Assign duties and work responsibilities to staff members.
- Authorize requests for vacation/sick leave, holidays for staff members, leaves of absences, schedule changes, overtime, salary increases/reductions, purchase requests and expenditures.
- Monitor staff performance in all phases of job functions ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Analyze accounting records and data for operating costs and data.
- Approve bills and invoices, statements, checks, budget data, employee transfers/promotions, training manuals/programs, work orders.
- Compare and resolve discrepancies between:
- Actual and budget figures
- Contracts, data and products with product standards
- Enforce safety regulations and participate monthly in all HAT meetings and training.
- Investigate accidents.
- Assist Property Operations staff as necessary.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (cont.):
- Plan capital expenditures and execute projects.
- Conduct monthly department meetings.
- Attend designated meetings.
- Interview Engineering applicants.
- Follow up on projects and assignments given by the General Manager or Rooms Division Director.
- Network with other hotel Chief Engineers/Directors of Engineering. Attend association meetings and functions.
- Exert physical effort in transporting 50 pounds.
- Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas.
- Reach 36 inches/feet.
- Remain in stationary position for two hours throughout work shift.
- Satisfactorily communicate with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Engineering work shops, all areas of the hotel.
- Job involves working:
- Under variable temperature conditions (or extreme heat or cold)
- Under variable noise levels
- Around fumes and/or odor hazards
- Around dust and/or mite hazards
- Around chemicals
High school graduate or equivalent vocational training
- Five years training as a stationary Engineer.
- Five years supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of:
- Plumbing codes
- Electrical codes Job Description Director of Engineering
- National/local fire codes
- Local mechanical codes
- Water treatment program
- Blue prints and plumbing and wiring schematics
- Power and hand tools, meters, etc. as it relates to the technical trades
- Abatement precautionary measures
- Knowledge of all mechanical equipment critical to the operation of the building.
- Fluency in job related English both verbal and non-verbal.
- Provide legible communication and directions.
- Compute basic mathematical calculations (add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers).
- Prepare budgets and ensure cost controls.
- Enforce hotel''s standards, policies and procedures with Engineering staff.
- Prioritize and organize work assignments; delegate work to Supervisors and staff.
- Direct performance of staff and follow up with corrections where needed.
- Instruct/direct staff in the operation, maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Ascertain staff training needs and provide such training.
- Be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgement.
- Work well under pressure.
- Understand guest inquiries, provide responses and interact positively.
- Trouble-shoot and use alternatives in emergency situations.
- Ensure security and confidentiality of all hotel information.
- Interact positively with hotel personnel and provide prompt solutions to problems.
Any building trade license/certificate.
Two years apprenticeship in stationary Engineers program; or two years’ experience as maintenance stationary Engineer
Ability to communicate in a second language, preferably Spanish
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Greater Greenspoint, Houston, TX, United States
- Engineering & Maintenance
- Starting in
- As soon as possible