The Sales Manager, National Sales is responsible for providing total account management for a portfolio of high value complex accounts in an effort to increase Marriott's preference, loyalty, and profitable share. By applying the principles of strategic account management and team-based selling, this position provides overall leadership and direction in the development of business-to-business strategies to build long-term, value-based relationships between Marriott International and their portfolio of corporate accounts. As total account manager, this individual will develop solid and broad relationships with the key buyers in central buying locations with the purpose of mapping all revenue streams to grow share and drive superior business results.
Specific areas of responsibility include establishing, managing and communicating overall account strategies in alignment with the overall corporate segment priorities, mapping buyers to accounts, defending and growing market share and revenue targets for assigned accounts, and liaising with relevant cross-discipline resources (corporate, regional, market, property) to ensure effective pull-through of account strategies.
SCOPE / BUSINESS CONTEXT
Responsibilities for the Sales Manager, National Sales will include the following:
Total Account Management
• Develop and implement the overall account strategy in alignment with segment strategic goals. Promote accountability to achieve desired business results.
• Retain, expand and grow account revenue through account growth, margin management and implementation of strategic initiatives.
• Manage relationships with the largest buyers in primary buying locations; map significant buyers in other locations and direct the Market sales teams and Account teams to optimize account reach and share.
• Assist in developing optimal Total Account Management teams that are focused on delivering customer value and growing account share
• Establish and maintain strong business relationships with key economic buying influencers. Act as the customer’s advocate through understanding account customer needs and opportunities. Monitor current and future customer needs, goals and attitudes including competitor activity to guide targeted solution development; remove barriers to business solution development; build a customer-focused team.
• Harness and coordinate cross-discipline resources (GSO, Corporate) to ensure pull-through and sustainment of account strategies and selling solutions. Develop a close working relationship with operations and Market resources to establish integrated sales strategies that maximize customer relationships within the region and ensure pull-through of strategies at the hotel level.
• Liaise with relevant cross-discipline groups to resolve customer issues and ensure profitability of the account.
• Partner with the Account Manager (Business Transient). SAEs and the PAS team to manage the annual RFP process and lead negotiations of preferred hotel agreements with customers.
• Partner with the Account Manager (Large and Small Groups) in managing and closing on group transactions with Sales Offices, /or hotels.
• Develop innovative cross-functional solutions to win in assigned accounts (e.g. e-commerce, marketing and revenue management solutions).
• Lead the sales efforts for new and existing revenue streams within accounts.
• Support efforts to educate and communicate total account management and team-based sales principles to cross-discipline groups including Revenue Management, Property and Global Sales.
• Attend and participate in all relevant customer events and trade shows.
• Serve as a proactive account leader on the Sales and Marketing team by providing input and execution to corporate initiatives. Establish strong partnerships between field and hotel teams by maintaining a productive dialog and exchange of ideas.
• Champion business transformation and change efforts in support of Sales and Marketing strategies.
• Maintain operational excellence by directing productive, streamlined administrative functions.
• Ensure that the latest sales tools, and other value-added products & services, are being leveraged effectively to maximize productivity and build sustainable competitive advantage.
• Achieve account revenue and sales goals as defined by segment leadership.
• Ensure the development of account plans that focus on improving market share, leveraging efficiencies, generating revenue and reducing overhead.
• Leverage methodologies, technical and business knowledge across the Sales organization
• Translate customer and account needs into a range of support products and services that maximize returns.
• Anticipate and identify business opportunities and challenges and respond with a profitable strategy that aligns with overall business direction.
• Increase penetration of high potential accounts to optimize demand across all brands and satisfy important property needs.
• Leverage all available sales channels, i.e., marriott.com, group and transient intermediaries, field sales, worldwide reservation offices, etc, in an effort to optimize sales revenues.
• 8+ years of hotel industry work experience, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
• Previous industry Sales/National Account sales experience preferred.
• Account management experience, specifically complex accounts preferred.
• Experience evaluating business trends and developing and successfully implementing new business programs or strategies that enhance business performance
• Demonstrated ability to deliver results under difficult conditions, even when faced with complexity and ambiguity.
Education or Certification
• College degree and related experience generally required.
• English language written and spoken
PERSONAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Attributes)
• Ability to act as a strategic business advisor – strong business diagnosing and consultative skills; strategic thinker; processes information through a strategic lens and applies tenants of systems thinking to issues / assignments
• Exceptional networking and prospecting skills, Strong negotiating skills.
• Ability to balance creative solution-development with pragmatic business considerations.
• Must have good business acumen skills (e.g., keeping current on industry practices and developments; ability to evaluate business trends and develop successful solutions that meet customer needs and bring incremental business).
• Must have strong financial acumen (e.g., using budgets and forecasts to manage financial performance; identifying and using key financial indicators to measure business performance, understanding ROI of the account etc.).
• Demonstrated competency for planning, delegating, implementing, managing and improving processes that bring initiatives to a successful conclusion.
• Gather and analyze information from a variety of sources; probe for underlying causes; consider alternative solutions before making decisions; advance problems toward resolution when encountering ambiguity or uncertainty; make sound decisions in a timely manner
• Approach problems with open-mindedness, generate innovative ideas and solutions, stimulate creativity and innovation in others.
• Develop and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. Actively engage the right stakeholders and cross disciplines and market to refine account offerings.
• Ability to sell ideas and influence persuasively, settling differences and winning concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic.
• Strong organizational navigation acumen – cross-discipline understanding and ability to mobilize organizational resources to achieve superior business results.
• Bring a global perspective to ideas and solutions. Has a cross-discipline and cross-regional understanding and is knowledgeable about MI brands, sales and marketing strategies and service offerings.
• Ability to balance strategic thinking into idea execution.
• Active learner – able to enhance personal, professional and business growth through new knowledge and experiences; pushes the organization to learn from other industries’ standards and practices.
Market Integration & Team Participation
• Ensures account sales strategies are communicated, implemented and updated as market conditions fluctuate.
• Facilitates educational opportunities that enhance credibility and integration between the National Sales Team
and internal stakeholders.
• Identifies and cultivate relationships with key colleagues and stakeholders in other parts of the organization.
• Participates with account team for in market pull-through activity.
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Job type
- Mumbai, India
- Sales & Marketing
- Starting in
- As soon as possible