Functions as the strategic business leader of the hotel’s food and beverage/culinary operation, including Restaurants/Bars, Room Service and Banquets/Catering, where applicable. Oversees the development and implementation of departmental strategies. Supports the implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. Oversees the food and beverage/culinary operation so that it meets the brand’s target customer needs, associate needs and focuses on growing revenues and maximizing the financial performance of the department. Develops and implements hotel-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property associates and provides a return on investment to the owner and Marriott International.
Performs culinary tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and associate satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced, and to ensure that sanitation and food stardards are met. Manages all food preparation areas (e.g., banquets, room service, restaurants, bar/lounge and associate cafeteria) and all support areas (e.g., dish room and purchasing).
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, event management, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 4 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, event management, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Developing and Maintaining Food and Beverage/Culinary Goals
• Sets expectations and holds food and beverage leadership team accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors.
• Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Food and Beverage is performing against budget.
• Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of food and beverage equipment and renovations in accordance with brand business strategy.
• Works with food and beverage leadership team to determine areas of concern and develops strategies to improve the department’s financial performance.
• Strives to improve service performance.
Developing and Maintaining Budgets
• Develops and manages Food and Beverage budget.
• Monitors the department’s actual and projected sales to ensure revenue goals are met or exceeded and opportunities are identified and addressed.
• Manages cash control and liquor control policies in food & beverage areas..
• Focuses on maintaining profit margins without compromising guest or employee satisfaction.
Leading Food and Beverage/Culinary Team
• Identifies opportunities to increase profits and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
• Functions as the strategic business leader of the hotel’s food and beverage/culinary operation, including Restaurants/Bars, Room Service and Banquets/Catering, where applicable.
• Communicates on a regular, on-going basis in all areas of food and beverage (e.g., pre-meal briefings, staff meetings, culinary team).
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and entire food & beverage team. Ensures direct reports do the same for their team.
• Develops a food and beverage operating strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
• Stays aware of market trends and introduces new food and beverage products to meet or exceed customer expectations, generate increased revenue and ensure a competitive position in the market.
Leading Kitchen Operations for Property
• Provides direction for all day-to-day operations.
• Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an "open door" policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
• Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
• Performs culinary tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions.
• Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced, and to ensure that sanitation and food stardards are met.
• Manages all food preparation areas (e.g., banquets, room service, restaurants, bar/lounge and associate cafeteria) and all support areas (e.g., dish room and purchasing).
Setting and Maintaining Goals for Culinary Function and Activities
• Develops and implements guidelines and control procedures for purchasing and receiving areas.
• Establishes goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Communicates the importance of safety procedures, detailing procedure codes, ensuring employee understanding of safety codes, monitoring processes and procedures related to safety.
• Manages department controllable expenses including food cost, supplies, uniforms and equipment.
• Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
• Knows and implements the brand's safety standards.
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Provides direction for menu development.
• Monitors the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
• Holds employees accountable for maintaining food handling and sanitation certifications.
• Determines how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
• Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Oversees the development and implementation of departmental strategies.
• Supports the implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives.
• Oversees the food and beverage/culinary operation so that it meets the brand’s target customer needs, associate needs and focuses on growing revenues and maximizing the financial performance of the department.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides and supports service behaviors that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Establishes guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters.
• Reviews findings from comment cards and guest satisfaction results with F& B team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
• Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
• Shares plans to take corrective action based on comment cards and guest satisfaction results with property leadership.
• Develops and implements hotel-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property associates and provides a return on investment to the owner and Marriott International.
• Works to continually improve guest and associate satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Trains kitchen associates on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations.
• Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
• Interacts with the Banquet Chef and Catering department on training regarding food knowledge and menu composition.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and or managers.
• Manages employee progressive discipline procedures for areas of responsibility.
• Coaches and supports food & beverage leadership team to effectively manage wages, food & beverage cost and controllable expenses (e.g., restaurant supplies, uniforms, etc.).
• Hires food & beverage leadership team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
• Coaches team by providing specific feedback to improve performance.
• Brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
• Provides information to executive teams, managers and supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption in order to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
• Order and purchase equipment and supplies.
- Job type
- Beijing, China
- F&B other
- Starting in
- As soon as possible