Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the most luxurious hotels, resorts and residences located in prime destinations around the world.
Increasingly recognized for creating some of the world’s most sought-after properties, the Group provides 21st century luxury with oriental charm. Above all, Mandarin Oriental is renowned for creating unique hotels through distinctive design and a strong sense of place, luxury hotels right for their time and place.
Mandarin Oriental, Dubai
Envisaged as an unparalleled luxury urban beach resort that will distinguish itself by redefining privilege and privacy. The resort will be located mid-way between the entrance to Jumeirah Road from Old Dubai and the iconic Burj Al Arab.
Scope of Position
The Assistant Banquet Manager will support the Director of Banquets in all related operational and administrative aspects of the Banqueting operation as well as in cost related financials. They will work closely with the Catering and Event Sales department as required and oversee events personally.Responsibilities
- Support the Banquet Director in all operational and administrative aspects of Banqueting operations to assure a smooth day to day operation and take charge of the department in his absence.
- Enforce and monitor that all operational standards, as per our policies, SOP and quality measures are in place at all times.
- Create and maintain a great synergy between Banqueting operations and all other F&B outlets as well Catering and Event Sales and support them as required whenever possible.
- If requested support the Banquet Director in meeting clients for operational questions and concerns and join sales calls if necessary.
- Maintain a strong relationship with events related contractors and event companies as well as counterparts from other hotels in the city.
- Work closely with the respective Culinary team members on coordinating service flow, timings and set ups of all events, including coffee breaks, buffet, set menus, cocktail receptions and any others as required.
- Maintain a file with detailed overview of all banquet venues and work closely with the Catering and Events Sales team together to determine possible lay outs, set ups and floor plans.
- Ensure all venues will be fully set, including lighting music, decoration and other details at least thirty minutes’ prior the scheduled start time.
- Ensure all audio-visual equipment will function perfectly, and organisers will be asked about optimal sound and visual effects; a beeper or cell phone number will be given to the meeting organizer with which the audio visual technician can be summoned throughout the meeting.
- Ensure accuracy of all printed material, menus and buffet tag for every event: current, spelled correctly, clean and presentable.
- Assist the Banquet Director to observe all aspects of the business forecast and to plan the equipment and supplies accordingly and maintain access to resources of casual labour and assure high quality casual labour is available at all times.
- Maintain access to resources of casual labour, assure high quality casual labour is available at all times and manage productivity of casual labour.
- Oversee and maintain solid records of all Annual Leave and Public Holiday clearance and assure none are accumulated within the outlet.
- Assist the Banquet Director to plan and execute special promotional activities for the outlets and plan for festive season events related, most importantly Ramadan.
- Support the Banquet Director to supervise the overall maintenance and cleanliness of the outlet at all times and as assigned carry out monthly or more frequent walk-throughs with the respective engineering and housekeeping colleagues and follow up accordingly on the produced reports to achieve an immaculate environment.
- Constantly identify areas for improvement in service and food and beverage quality by reviewing feedback from the Events and Catering team, general guest comments, guest incident reports, and the MOHG Meeting Planner survey and share observations and recommendations with the Director of Banquets and formulate action plans accordingly, also in cooperation with the respective Chefs.
- Ensure that the information and information security equipment assets are secured as effectively as practically possible to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the information assets.
- Attend and participate the weekly/daily events meeting with the Catering and Events Sales team to assure a smooth communication flow in addition to email correspondence.
- Follow all procedures, policies and practices with regard to the Jardine accounting related requirements for F&B outlets.
- Support the outlet manager in monitoring the monthly P&L and carry out regular detailed analysis of outlet related financial information and overview the accurate billing of all events.
- Observe the competition, current market and international trends, prices with the market and other new ideas and forward them to the outlet manager.
- Support the Banquet Director in defining a ratio of casual labour in cooperation with the Director and Assistant Director of F&B and assure adherence.
- Plan, guide and supervise the set-ups, execution and clearance of all events taking place in the hotel as well as outside caterings.
- Maintain a clear overview of all IG point of sales related set up and carry out regular check on accuracy of all items.
- Assist the Banquet Director to prepare a weekly roster to schedule all colleagues effectively depending on the events on the books and if necessary reallocate colleagues to other areas in liaisons with other managers.
- If requested assist the Banquet Director to carry out monthly or more regular, documented communication meetings with the banqueting team as a forum to share important information related to banqueting operations.
- Train, evaluate and schedule all colleagues including Catering and Event Sales colleagues in accordance to the applicable standards, set ups and policies as per the overall business requirements.
- Conduct counselling and disciplinary action as appropriate in accordance with Mandarin Oriental Jumeira’s procedures.
- Encourage proactive, efficient and effective inter-departmental communication within and beyond the F&B division in order to promote a climate of teamwork and enthusiasm.
- Ensure that Mandarin Oriental Jumeira’s grooming and appearance standards are implemented and maintained at all times to reflect an image of professionalism and care.
Education & Certificates
- High School qualification or equivalent.
- Degree or Higher National Diploma in Hospitality/Hotel/Business Management is preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as an Assistant Banquet Manager in a high-volume, luxury hotel
- UAE experience is preferred
- Hotel pre-opening experience is preferred
Operational and Management Skills
- Ability to understand guest needs and expectations and to deliver superior customer service through own initiative and through driving and motivating the team accordingly.
- Ability to work long hours with a strong focus on operational excellence.
- Familiar with restaurant point of sales and cashiering procedures.
- Knowledge of Banquet service procedures and standards.
- Well organized and possess a solid administrative capability.
- Proven ability to successfully support, motivate and lead a large and diverse team.
- Ability to organize large projects and events with guidance of the restaurant manager.
- Able to use documented performance management systems and handling disciplinary processes with guidance of the restaurant manager.
- Perform job with attention to details and the ability to organize and handle multiple tasks.
- Strong knowledge of HACCP preferred.
- Competent computer skills including MS Office or equivalent.
- Job type
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- F&B kitchen
- Starting in
- As soon as possible