Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the most luxurious hotels, resorts and residences located in prime destinations around the world.
Increasingly recognized for creating some of the world’s most sought-after properties, the Group provides 21st century luxury with oriental charm. Above all, Mandarin Oriental is renowned for creating unique hotels through distinctive design and a strong sense of place, luxury hotels right for their time and place.
Mandarin Oriental, Dubai
Envisaged as an unparalleled luxury urban beach resort that will distinguish itself by redefining privilege and privacy. The resort will be located mid-way between the entrance to Jumeirah Road from Old Dubai and the iconic Burj Al Arab.
Scope of Position
The Banquet Director will assume full responsibility for all related operational and administrative aspects of the Banqueting operation as well as for cost related financials. The Banquet Director will be responsible for working closely with the Director of Catering and Event Sales to secure events and support the selling process.
- Oversee all operational and administrative aspects of Banqueting Operations and ensure a smooth day to day operation.
- Enforce and monitor that all operational standards, as per our policies, SOP and quality measures are in place at all times.
- Create and maintain a great synergy between Banqueting operations and all other F&B outlets and support them as required whenever possible.
- If requested meet clients for operational questions and concerns and join sales calls if necessary.
- Maintain a strong relationship with events related contractors and event companies as well as counterparts from other hotels in the city.
- Work closely with the respective Culinary team members on coordinating service flow, timings and set ups of all events, including coffee breaks, buffets, set menus, cocktail receptions and any others as required.
- Prepare and maintain a file with detailed overview of all banquet venues and work closely with the Catering and Events Sales team together to determine possible lay outs, set ups and floor plans.
- Ensure all venues will be fully set, including lighting music, decoration and other details at least thirty minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
- Ensure that the audio-visual equipment will function perfectly, and organisers will be asked about optimal sound and visual effects; a IP deck or cell phone number will be given to the meeting organizer with which the audio visual technician can be summoned throughout the meeting.
- Ensure accuracy of all printed material, menus and buffet tag for every event: current, spelled correctly, clean and presentable.
- Observe all aspects of the business forecasts and plan effectively to make most efficient arrangements for equipment and supplies accordingly.
- Maintain access to resources of casual labour, assure high quality casual labour is available at all times and manage productivity of casual labour.
- Maintain solid records of all Annual Leave and Public Holiday clearance and assure none are accumulated within the outlet.
- Plan and execute special promotional activities for the outlets and plan for festive season events related, most importantly Ramadan.
- Supervise the overall maintenance and cleanliness of all banqueting areas at all times and carry out monthly or more frequent walk-throughs with the respective engineering and housekeeping colleagues and follow up accordingly on the produced reports to achieve an immaculate environment.
- Oversee all operational aspects of Outside Catering Operations and assure smooth operation.
- Constantly identify areas for improvement in service and food and beverage quality by reviewing feedback from the Events and Catering team, general guest comments, guest incident reports, and the MOHG Meeting Planner survey and formulate action plans accordingly, also in cooperation with the respective Chefs.
- Ensure that the information and information security equipment assets are secured as effectively as practically possible to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the information assets.
- Attend and participate the weekly/daily events meeting with the Catering and Events Sales team to assure a smooth communication flow in addition to email correspondence.
Financial and administrative aspects:
- Follow all procedures, policies and practices with regard to the Jardine audit related requirements for F&B.
- Monitor the monthly P&L and carry out regular detailed analysis of outlet related financial information, particularly labour cost and other expenses.
- Observe the competition, current market and international trends, prices with the market and other new ideas and react accordingly.
- Define a ratio of casual labour in cooperation with the Director and Assistant Director of F&B and assure adherence.
- Plan, guide and supervise the set-up, execution and clearance of all events taking place in the hotel as well as outside caterings.
- Maintain a clear overview of all IG point of sales related set ups and carry out regular check on accuracy of all items.
- Overview the accurate billing of all events.
- Prepare annual documentation for CAPEX for Banqueting & Outside catering for recommendation to Director of F&B
- Prepare a weekly roster to schedule all colleagues effectively depending on the events on the books and if necessary reallocate colleagues to other areas in liaisons with other managers.
- Carry out a monthly or more regular, documented communication meetings with the entire banqueting team as a forum to share important information related to banqueting operations.
- Conduct counselling and disciplinary action as appropriate in accordance with Mandarin Oriental Jumeira’s procedures.
- Encourage proactive, efficient and effective inter-departmental communication within and beyond the F&B division in order to promote a climate of teamwork and enthusiasm.
- Ensure that Mandarin Oriental Jumeira’s grooming and appearance standards are implemented and maintained at all times to reflect an image of professionalism and care, which also applies to casual and temporary colleagues.
- Ensure that a colleague will be present to greet all arriving attendees to an event, and to wish them a farewell upon the conclusion.
- Ensure that organizer is welcomed by name and that any requirements or changes prior and during the event are followed through and executed.
- Ensure dining guests will not have to initiate service requests for anything; assure to anticipate their needs or inquire if anything further is needed.
- Ensure all clients will experience the thirteen Meeting by Mandarin Oriental (MbMo) promises.
- Ensure customer satisfaction in accordance to the MOHG Legendary Quality Experiences (LQEs), the MOHG Pillars.
- Constantly drive and motivate the team to create specific WOW moments to surprise and delight guests.
- Handle effectively any kind of customer complaints being verbal or written.
Education & Certificates
- High School qualification or equivalent.
- Degree or Higher National Diploma in Hospitality/Hotel/Business Management.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a Banquets Director position within a luxury hotel.
- International work experience in at least two of the following regions: Asia, Europe, North America, and the Middle East.
- Hotel pre-opening experience is a MUST.
- UAE experience is a MUST.
- Outside catering experience is preferred.
Operational and Management Skills
- Creative, innovative and thinks outside the box.
- Ability to understand guest needs and expectations and to deliver superior customer service through own initiative and through driving and motivating his/her team accordingly.
- Ability to work long hours with a strong focus on operational excellence.
- Solid knowledge of Banquet service procedures and standards.
- Extremely organized and possess a solid administrative capability.
- Assist the Sales Department with banquet and outside catering planning.
- Be able to communicate and be flexible with any changes requested by the event organizers.
- Proven ability to successfully support, motivate and lead a large and diverse team.
- Ability to oversee a large and complex area including outside caterings.
- Able to use documented performance management systems and handling disciplinary processes.
- Perform job with attention to details and the ability to organize and handle multiple tasks.
- Strong knowledge of HACCP preferred.
- Competent computer skills including MS Office or equivalent.
- Ability to understand effective approaches of communication with different individuals.
- Develop team members at all time.
- Able to empower colleagues and communicate clearly with peers, subordinates and superiors.
- Strong on the job and classroom style training skills.
- Able to constantly update all training materials and keep good track on all training activities.
- Plan special training for all casual labor force.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Verbal and written communication skills in Arabic or other languages are preferred.
Position Related Requirements
- Ability to oversee a large and complex area and to work in an outdoor environment in a hot climate.
- Solid knowledge of various banqueting equipment, set ups, service procedures.
- Knowledge on basic AV handling related to banqueting.
- Driver License is preferred.
- Strong flexibility in working hours.
- Job type
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- F&B other
- Starting in
- As soon as possible