Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the most luxurious hotels, resorts and residences located in prime destinations around the world.
Increasingly recognized for creating some of the world’s most sought-after properties, the Group provides 21st century luxury with oriental charm. Above all, Mandarin Oriental is renowned for creating unique hotels through distinctive design and a strong sense of place, luxury hotels right for their time and place.
Mandarin Oriental, Dubai
Envisaged as an unparalleled luxury urban beach resort that will distinguish itself by redefining privilege and privacy. The resort will be located mid-way between the entrance to Jumeirah Road from Old Dubai and the iconic Burj Al Arab.
The Chef de Cuisine will assume full responsibility of all related operational, administrative and financial aspects for the culinary operation of the hotel restaurants.
- Oversee all operational and administrative culinary aspects of hotel restaurants as appropriate and be able to prioritise the required level of engagement in multiple areas depending on business volumes and other related parameters.
- Work closely with the respective Restaurant Manager and Executive Sous Chef to plan menus, prices and promotional events for the Restaurants in order to maximize revenue generating opportunities in line with market demands.
- Regularly review menus in regard to popularity of dishes, food cost and season with the respective Restaurant Manager and suggest new menu proposals to the Executive Chef.
- Ensure plating guides are up to date and distributed appropriately.
- Ensure that all plating guides are followed according to set dish description, cooking method and presentation image.
- Support Restaurant Manager in overview of all IG point of sales related set ups and carry out regular checks on accuracy of all items.
- Constantly identify areas for improvement in food and beverage quality by reviewing various quality audit reports, guest comment cards and guest incident reports, and formulate action plans accordingly, also in cooperation with the respective Restaurant Manager.
- Encourage proactive, efficient and effective inter-departmental communication within and beyond the Food and Beverage division in order to promote a climate of teamwork and enthusiasm.
- Provide leadership, direction and support to all colleagues at any time.
- Train, evaluate and schedule all colleagues in accordance with the applicable standards, policies and as per the overall business requirements.
- Liaise with the Learning & Development Manager on departmental learning and development needs for all colleagues of the restaurants and oversee the overall training activities of the outlets including a heavy involvement in class room training, role plays and on the job trainings.
- Oversee preparation of weekly roster.
- Observe all aspects of the business forecasts and plan effectively to make most efficient arrangements for manpower, equipment and supplies accordingly.
- Support the Chief Steward in creating the cleaning and side duty schedules for all positions and ensure compliance and follow through.
- Oversee and follow through the food safety standards set by Mandarin Oriental Jumeira, Safe & Sound and through the local UAE Municipality rules and regulation.
- Supervise the maintenance and cleanliness of the Kitchens and Stewarding area at all times and carry out daily checks and monthly walk-throughs with the respective stewarding and engineering colleagues. Follow up accordingly on the produced reports to achieve an immaculate environment.
- Ensure proper care, security and maintenance of all hotel equipment through attentive supervision.
- Ensure that all buffet displays are food safe, creative, clean and with attention to detail as per set standards by the Executive Chef.
- Ensure that Mandarin Oriental Jumeira’s grooming and appearance standards are implemented and maintained at all times to reflect an image of professionalism and care.
Customer Focus and Colleague Relations:
- Personally follow up with guests where possible or required and show presence in the dining area regularly.
- Personally monitor and follow through on any requirements of VIP guests who are dining in the Restaurants as well as for special dietary requirements.
- Ensure customer satisfaction in accordance to the MOHG Legendary Quality Experiences (LQEs), the MOHG Pillars and the respective service standards of MOQA.
- Constantly drive and motivate the team to create specific WOW moments to surprise and delight guests in the Restaurants in cooperation with the Restaurant manager.
- Communicate Rules & Regulations to all colleagues by using the Colleague Handbook and any other appropriate documents.
- Conduct counselling and disciplinary action as appropriate in accordance with Mandarin Oriental Jumeira’s procedures.
- Conduct daily meetings with the team and provide a regular forum for two-way communication with the whole team.
- Conduct weekly hands on dish training to ensure food knowledge and cooking methods are always up to date.
- Ensure recipe costings are up to date and in line with selling prices.
- Oversee and take full responsibility of all food safety related administration.
- Ensure support is given to the Commissary and Butchery for the daily market list and inventory control.
- Maintain solid records of all holiday and PH clearance and assure none are accumulated within the Kitchen.
- Monitor the monthly P&L and food cost and carry out regular detailed analysis of outlet related financial information including menu engineering.
- Support Banquets if required for any events or outside catering events with manpower or with actual dishes.
- To be updated with the latest food trends in the F&B industry to ensure the outlet Cuisine and Buffets are in line or ahead of international standards.
- Plan and execute special promotional activities for the outlets and plan for festive season events related to the outlet.
- Attend and participate in all required meetings as scheduled.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the Executive Chef.
Education & Certificates
- High School qualification or equivalent.
- Degree or Higher National Diploma in Hospitality/Culinary arts.
- Experienced Chef de Cuisine in a high volume restaurant is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in a 5-star hotel or free-standing restaurant environment.
- International work experience in at least two of the following regions: Asia, Europe, North America and preferably Middle East.
- Hotel pre-opening or renovation experience is preferred.
Operational and Management Skills
- Creative, innovative and thinks outside the box.
- Thorough knowledge of gastronomy; preparing, cooking and presenting dishes.
- Excellent knowledge of using various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and processes.
- Working knowledge of mathematics for recipes, ordering and financial research purposes.
- Solid knowledge of various types of cuisine, specialty and restrictive diets, be allergy sensitive and willing to go above and beyond for both internal and external guests at all times.
- Ability to work long hours with a strong focus on operational excellence.
- Extremely organized and possess a solid administrative capability.
- Proven ability to successfully support, motivate and lead a large and diverse team.
- Ability to organize large projects and events.
- Able to use documented performance management systems and handling disciplinary processes.
- Perform job with attention to details and the ability to organize and handle multiple tasks.
- Serve Safe, Sanitation and HACCP proficiency.
- Competent computer skills including MS Office or equivalent.
- Ability to understand effective approaches of communication with different individuals.
- Develop team members at all time.
- Able to empower colleagues and communicate clearly with peers, subordinates and superiors.
- Strong on the job and classroom style training skills.
- Able to constantly update all training materials and keep good track of all training activities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Verbal and written communication skills in Arabic or other languages are preferred.
Position Related Requirements
- Ability to oversee a large and complex area and to work in hot indoor environments.
- Job type
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- F&B kitchen
- Starting in
- As soon as possible