Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the most luxurious hotels, resorts and residences located in prime destinations around the world.
Increasingly recognized for creating some of the world’s most sought-after properties, the Group provides 21st century luxury with oriental charm. Above all, Mandarin Oriental is renowned for creating unique hotels through distinctive design and a strong sense of place, luxury hotels right for their time and place.
Mandarin Oriental, Dubai
Envisaged as an unparalleled luxury urban beach resort that will distinguish itself by redefining privilege and privacy. The resort will be located mid-way between the entrance to Jumeirah Road from Old Dubai and the iconic Burj Al Arab.
The Executive Pastry Chef will assume full responsibility of all related operational, administrative and financial aspects of the Main Pastry & Bakery Production Kitchens (including Banquet, In-Room Dining, Mandarin Cake Shop and Gelato Shop) related to Mandarin Oriental Jumeira.Responsibilities
- Oversee all operational and administrative aspects of the Main Pastry & Bakery Production Kitchen (including Banquet, In-Room Dining, Café Citrus, Mandarin Cake Shop and Gelato) as appropriate and be able to prioritise the required level of engagement in all areas depending on business volumes and other related parameters.
- Create and maintain a great synergy between Outlets and Main Production Pastry and Bakery kitchen to assure maximum efficiency.
- Work closely with the respective restaurant manager and executive sous chef to plan menus, prices and promotional events for the Restaurants in order to maximize revenue generating opportunities in line with market demands.
- Work closely with Café Shop & Gelato Manager in the presentation of the outlet and packaging of all related items.
- Regularly review menus in regard to popularity of dishes, food cost and seasonality with the respective Restaurant Manager and suggest new menu proposals to the Executive Chef.
- Ensure plating guides and standard setup guides are up to date and distributed appropriately.
- Ensure plating guides and standard setup guides are followed according to set dish description, cooking method and presentation image.
- Ensure that all Pastry and Bakery cuisine are prepared in the most authentic way as standards set agreed by the Executive Chef.
- Regularly inspect the quality of the Pastry and Bakery ingredients and measure them for specific recipes.
- Support Restaurant Manager in overview of all IG point of sales related set ups and carry out regular check on accuracy of all items.
- Constantly identify areas for improvement in food and beverage quality by reviewing various quality audit reports, guest comment cards and guest incident reports, and formulate action plans accordingly, also in cooperation with the respective Restaurant Manager.
- Encourage proactive, efficient and effective inter-departmental communication within and beyond the Food and Beverage division in order to promote a climate of teamwork and enthusiasm.
- Provide leadership, direction and support to all colleagues at any time.
- Train, evaluate and schedule all colleagues in accordance with the applicable standards, policies and as per the overall business requirements.
- Liaise with the Learning & Development Manager on departmental learning and development needs for all colleagues of the restaurants and oversee the overall
- training activities of the outlets including a heavy involvement in class room training, role plays and on the job trainings.
- Prepare a weekly roster to schedule all colleagues effectively to maintain the standards of Mandarin Oriental while operating within budgeted labour cost guidelines and headcounts, depending on the business volume.
- Observe all aspects of the business forecasts and plan effectively to make most efficient arrangements for manpower, equipment and supplies accordingly.
- Support the Chief Steward in creating the cleaning and side duty schedules for all positions and ensure compliance and follow through.
- Oversee and follow through the food safety standards set by Mandarin Oriental Jumeira, Safe & Sound and through the local UAE Municipality rules and regulation.
- Supervise the maintenance and cleanliness of the Kitchens and Stewarding area at all times and carry out daily checks and monthly walk-throughs with the respective stewarding and engineering colleagues. Follow up accordingly on the produced reports to achieve an immaculate environment.
- Ensure proper care, security and maintenance of all hotel equipment through attentive supervision.
- Ensure that all buffet displays are food safe, creative, clean and with attention to detail as per set standards by the Executive Chef.
- Ensure that Mandarin Oriental Jumeira’s grooming and appearance standards are implemented and maintained at all times to reflect an image of professionalism and care.
Customer Focus and Colleague Relations:
- Personally follow up with guests where possible and accommodate special request as required including dietary requirements.
- Ensure customer satisfaction in accordance to the MOHG Legendary Quality Experiences (LQEs), the MOHG Pillars and the respective service standards of MOQA.
- Constantly drive and motivate the team to create specific WOW moments to surprise and delight guests in the Restaurants in cooperation with the Restaurant Managers.
- Communicate Rules & Regulations to all colleagues by using the Colleague Handbook and any other appropriate documents.
- Conduct counselling and disciplinary action as appropriate in accordance with Mandarin Oriental, Jumeira’s procedures.
- Conduct daily meetings with the team and provide a regular forum for two-way communication with the whole team.
- Conduct weekly hands on dish training to ensure food knowledge and cooking methods are always up to date.
- Ensure recipe costings for Pastry and Bakery are up to date and in line with selling prices.
- Oversee and take full responsibility of all food safety related administration.
- Ensure support is given to the Commissary for the daily market list and inventory control.
- Maintain solid records of all holiday and PH clearance and assure none are accumulated within the Pastry and Bakery Kitchen.
- Monitor the monthly P&L and food cost and carry out regular detailed analysis of outlet related financial information including menu engineering.
- Follow all procedures, policies and practices with regard to the Jardine accounting related requirements for the Culinary department
- Support Banquet if required for any events or outside catering events with manpower or with actual dishes.
- To be updated with the latest food trends in the Food & Beverage industry to ensure that Pastry and Bakery are in line or ahead with international standards.
- Plan and execute special promotional activities for the outlets and plan for festive season events related to the outlet.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the Executive Chef.
Education & Certificates
- Degree or Higher National Diploma equivalent in Hospitality/Hotel/Business Management is mandatory
- Certified supervising food safety in catering level 3 or Serve Safe certificated is a mandatory
- A minimum of 6 Years as Executive Pastry Chef or a similar position in a five-star luxury hotel operation is mandatory
- A minimum of total 15 years of experience working in five-star luxury kitchens and restaurants is mandatory
- Work experience in the following regions: China, Asia, Europe, America, Africa
is an advantage
- Hotel pre-opening experience in the UAE is preferable
- Michelin Star Restaurant experience is an advantage
- Mature and outgoing personality with excellent interpersonal skills and a great understanding of cultural sensitivities
- Ability to understand guest needs and expectations and to deliver superior guest service through own initiative and through driving and motivating his/her team accordingly
- Attention to details and the ability to organize and handle multiple tasks effectively
- Ability to communicate clearly and to understand effective approaches to communicate with different individuals
- Excellent verbal and written in English is a mandatory
- Basic knowledge of any other language is an advantage
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- F&B kitchen
- Starting in
- As soon as possible