Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the most luxurious hotels, resorts and residences located in prime destinations around the world.
Increasingly recognized for creating some of the world’s most sought-after properties, the Group provides 21st century luxury with oriental charm. Above all, Mandarin Oriental is renowned for creating unique hotels through distinctive design and a strong sense of place, luxury hotels right for their time and place.
Mandarin Oriental, Dubai
Envisaged as an unparalleled luxury urban beach resort that will distinguish itself by redefining privilege and privacy. The resort will be located mid-way between the entrance to Jumeirah Road from Old Dubai and the iconic Burj Al Arab.
The Executive Sous Chef will assist the Executive Chef with all related operational, administrative and financial aspects of all kitchens and assume full responsibility in his absence.Responsibilities
- Overlook all operational and administrative aspects of the culinary as appropriate and be able to prioritise the required level of engagement in all areas depending on business volumes and other related parameters.
- Follow the principle of the 5Ps ‘Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance’ at all times and for all activities.
- Provide leadership, direction and support to all culinary colleagues at all time.
- Create and maintain a positive synergy between all kitchens outlets to assure maximum efficiency.
- Train, evaluate and schedule all culinary colleagues in accordance with the applicable standards, policies and as per the overall business requirements.
- To support the Chief Steward in creating and maintain the cleaning and side duty schedules for all positions and ensure compliance and follow through.
- Supervise the maintenance and cleanliness of the kitchens and stewarding area at all times and carry out daily monthly walk-throughs with the respective stewarding and engineering colleagues. Follow up accordingly on the produced reports to achieve an immaculate environment.
- To support food safety manager to maintain and follow through the food safety standard set by Mandarin Oriental Jumeira, Safe & Sound and in accordance to local UAE Municipality rules and regulation.
- Work closely with all outlets managers and Executive Chef to plan menus, prices and promotional events in order to maximize revenue generating opportunities in line with market demands.
- Constantly identify areas for improvement in food and beverage quality by reviewing various quality audit reports, guest comment cards and guest incident reports, and formulate action plans accordingly, also in cooperation with the respective Manager.
- Encourage proactive, efficient and effective inter-departmental communication within and beyond the F&B division in order to promote a climate of teamwork and enthusiasm.
- Ensure that Mandarin Oriental Jumeira’s grooming and appearance standards are implemented and maintained at all times to reflect an image of professionalism and care.
- Liaise with the Learning & Development Manager on departmental learning and development needs for all colleagues of the department and oversee the overall training activities of the department including a heavy involvement in class room training, role plays and on the job trainings.
- Prepare a weekly roster to schedule all colleagues effectively to maintain the service standards of Mandarin Oriental while operating within budgeted labour cost guidelines and headcounts, depending on the business volume.
- Ensure proper care, security and maintenance of all hotel equipment through attentive supervision.
- Observe all aspects of the business forecasts and plan effectively to make most efficient arrangements for manpower, equipment and supplies accordingly.
- To ensure that all plating guides are followed according to set dish description, cooking method and presentation image.
- To ensure that all cold dish, hot dish, pastry and bakery items are prepared as per standard set by the Executive Chef.
- To ensure that all buffet displays are food safe, creative, clean and with attention to detail as per set standards by the Executive Chef.
- Support outlets managers in overview of all IG point of sales related set ups and carry out regular check on accuracy of all items.
- Ensure plating guides are up to date and distributed appropriately.
- Ensure customer satisfaction in accordance to the MOHG Legendary Quality Experiences (LQEs), the MOHG Pillars and the respective service standards of MOQA.
- Personally meet potential event guests for menu planning and discussions.
- Personally monitor and follow through on any requirements of VIP guests and special dietary requirements.
- Drive and motivate the team to create specific WOW moments to surprise and delight guests throughout the hotel.
- Carry out monthly or even more regular casual one-on-one meetings with all team members to assure colleagues have a forum to voice out of any concerns or challenges as well as to share hotel and department information.
- Liaise with the Learning & Development Manager on departmental learning and development needs for the colleagues of the restaurants.
- Liaise with food safety manager to ensure compliances with food safety safe and sound set by Mandarin Oriental Hotel and in accordance’s to UAE Municipality rules and regulation.
- Communicate rules and regulations to all colleagues by using the colleague handbook and any other appropriate documents.
- Carry out annual appraisals for all colleagues using the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group Performance and Development System PROFILE.
- Conduct counselling and disciplinary action as appropriate in accordance with Mandarin Oriental Jumeira procedures.
- Conduct daily meetings with the team and provide a regular forum for two-way communication with the whole team.
- To ensure that all kitchens outlets have a professional recipe costing
prior the hotel opening date to establish selling prices.
- To ensure that all recipes are up to date and in line with selling prices once
hotel has opened.
- Monitor and control culinary monthly P&L with main focus on food cost, labour cost and cost of consumables.
- Maintain solid records of all holiday and PH clearance and assure that accumulated within all kitchens is kept to the minimum.
- Carry out regular analysis of outlet related financial information including menu engineering
- Follow all procedures, policies and practices with regard to the Jardine accounting related requirements for culinary
- To be updated with the latest food trends in the F&B industry to ensure that Ala Carte dishes and Buffets are in line or ahead with international standards.
- Conduct regular hands on dish training to ensure food knowledge of all chefs is up to date.
- Plan and execute months of Ramadan and other promotional activities for banquet or outlets.
- Attend and participate in all required meetings as scheduled.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the Executive Chef.
Education & Certificates
- Vocational Diploma in Hospitality/Hotel/Business Management.
- Degree or Higher National Diploma equivalent in Hospitality/Hotel/Business Management preferred.
- Certified supervising food safety in catering level 3 or equivalent.
- A minimum of 2 years as Executive Sous Chef or 4 years as Chef de Cuisine or a similar position in a five-star deluxe hotel operation.
- A minimum of total 10 years of experience working in high end a five-star deluxe kitchens or restaurants.
- Michelin Star Restaurants experience is an advantage
- Work experience in at least one of the following countries in the Middle East: UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
- Very good knowledge on computer systems.
- Experience with Morton Bay purchasing and InfoGenesis point of sales systems or other known systems is an advantage.
- Hotel pre-opening experiences or hotel renovation experiences preferred.
Operational and Management Skills
- Creative, innovative and thinks outside the box.
- Excellent knowledge and technical skills experiences of managing a multi-cultural kitchen team is an advantage.
- Good knowledge and technical skills of Western, Arabic and Asian cuisine.
- Ability to work long hours with a strong focus on operational excellence as well has solid administrative capabilities.
- Ability speaking to guests, seniors, peers and subordinates in a confident an appropriate manner.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
- Confident but pleasant and if required empathetic approach towards guests.
- Creative and modern in A la Carte plating and Buffet presentation and set up.
- Ability to understand management of food cost and financials.
- Ability to interview and effectively recruit culinary colleagues.
- Qualified trainer and able to empower colleagues.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviours.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Strong ability to schedule colleagues effectively and plan according to business requirements
- Full HACCP proficiency.
- Ability to understand effective approaches of communication with different individuals.
- Communicate effectively with Department Heads and other managers.
- Develop team members at all time.
- Able to empower colleagues and communicate clearly with peers, subordinates and superiors.
- Strong on the job and classroom style training skills.
- Able to constantly update all training materials and keep good track of all training activities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Verbal and written communication skills in Arabic or other languages are preferred.
- Job type
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- F&B kitchen
- Starting in
- As soon as possible