Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award winning owner and operator of some of the worlds’ finest hotels. The Group operates luxury hotels in key leisure and business destinations.
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington epitomizes grand elegance and is within walking distance of the nation’s most cherished monuments, Capitol Hill, and the revered museums of the Smithsonian Institution. Ranked by Institutional Investor magazine as one of the top 100 hotels in the world, Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC creates memorable experiences for any traveler to the most powerful city in the world.
Scope of Position
The Assistant Executive Housekeeper assists the Executive Housekeeper in managing all aspects of the department inclusive of all guest rooms, public areas, and laundry/valet facility; maintaining the highest standard of cleanliness in all guestrooms and public areas; maintaining an active relationship with vendors; recommending and implementing procedural changes; and managing the department in the absence of the Executive Housekeeper.
The Assistant Executive Housekeeper will report directly to the Executive Housekeeper. He/She will supervise all staff in the Housekeeping Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. General Management:
- Motivate, train, supervise, evaluate, and discipline all Housekeeping and Laundry employees.
- Plan daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly assignments and projects for all Room Attendants, Housemen, Public Area, Uniform / Laundry Attendants and Office Coordinators.
- Perform administrative duties such as, but not limited to, departmental scheduling, payroll, purchase requests and monthly consumption reports.
- Implement control on department labor costs. Minimize costs while ensure adequate staffing is available to provide five-star service.
- Schedule walk-through and follow up with all outside contractors/vendors.
- Maintain an ongoing Safe & Sound program.
- Assume the responsibilities of the Executive Housekeeper during his/her absence.
- Performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
- Ensure proper chemical procedures in all areas.
2. Guestrooms and Public Areas:
- Perform daily inspection of all public areas, guestrooms, exterior of building and back house areas, to ensure that the highest standards are met.
- Monitor progress, ensure completion of deep cleaning program, and assign tasks to housekeeping colleagues.
- Perform line level functions in emergency situations.
3. Guests’ Requests Handling:
- Respond to guest questions. Provide guest assistance, direction, and information as requested. Conduct daily communication meetings.
- Perform line level functions in emergency situations.
- Respond to guest complaints in a professional and timely manner; resolving guest issues.
Requirement on Core Competencies
The incumbent will require the following personal attributes:
1. Delighting our Clients
- Awareness and sensitivity to the concept of luxury and quality.
- Responsive and genuine with customers.
- Sustains performance.
- Confident with customers.
2. Working with Colleagues
- Communicates a compelling vision.
- Inspires co-operation and commitment.
- Adapts work style and ethics appropriately.
- Actively listens and builds on other ideas.
- Effectively understands and uses resources.
- Is culturally sensitive.
- Good written and verbal skills.
3. Promoting a Climate of Enthusiasm
- Has energy and drive.
- A sense of urgency.
- Motivating individual.
- Communicates clearly.
- Open to feedback and learning.
- Possess potential to grow.
4. Being the Best
- Achievement orientated.
- Makes things happen.
- Has presence.
- Has positive impact and influence.
- Generates, innovative options.
- Adapts plans to suit change.
- Seeks continuous improvement opportunities.
5. Delivering Shareholder Value
- Takes a helicopter view and keeps in focus.
- Understands and knows the business market.
- Clearly understands effective operating of a hotel.
- Develops and implements strategy.
- Adapts strategies to changes.
- Aligns plans to strategies.
- Continuously seeks new opportunities.
6. Playing by the Rules
- Operates ethically.
- High level of personal integrity.
7. Acting with Responsibility
- Can identify core issues and problems.
- Emotionally stable and mature.
- Accepts feedback.
- Coaches others.
- Manages responsibilities.
- College degree in Hospitality Management or similar field preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of Housekeeping and/or supervisory experience.
- Must possess a good written and verbal command of the English language
- Experience in working in a unionized environment preferred
- Luxury Hotel experience will be strongly considered
Mental Capacity and Organizational Skill Requirements
- Thorough knowledge of complex housekeeping operations
- Working knowledge of Room Division
- Working knowledge of mathematics for analysing, ordering, and financial research purposes
- Working knowledge of computers and basic software
- Ability to dictate responsibility, pay attention to detail, handle multiple tasks and show a high level of patience
- Stand/Walk 8 – 12 hours a day
- Sit 8 - 12 hours a day
Occasionally = 1/3 of the workday, frequently = 2/3 of the workday
- Lift or Carry 0-20 pounds frequently
- Lift or Carry 21-50 pounds occasionally
- Lift or Carry 51-100 pounds occasionally
- Bend frequently
- Squat frequently
- Kneel occasionally
- Climb occasionally
- Reach above shoulders occasionally
- Perform repetitive hand motions frequently
Other Physical Requirements
- Ability to stand and work continuously in confined spaces for long periods of time
- Possess Sufficient dexterity to use all housekeeping equipment
- Ability to lift, bend, stoop, walk, push, and pull heavy equipment for long periods of time
- Ability to perform all duties in extreme temperature ranges
- Indoors frequently
- Outdoors often
Advertised: 13 Oct 2021 US Eastern Daylight Time
Other suggested jobs
The St. Regis Washington D.C.
USEH International Inc
Miramar La Cigale