Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world’s most prestigious hotels and resorts. The Group now operates or has underdevelopment over 34 hotels with more than 11,000 rooms in 24 countries in key business and leisure destinations.
Scope of Position
The Empress Lounge Manager will assume day to day operational and financial responsibility for one of our food and beverage outlets. This includes maintaining an optimum manpower and supplies level, providing excellent service to guests, ensuring restaurant furniture and equipment are in proper working order.
The Empress Lounge Manager reports to the Assistant Director of Food & Beverage and the Director of Food & Beverage. They will manage the F&B Operational Managers, the Empress Lounges colleagues and the Bartenders
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
- Responsible for the Lounge and Bar operations
- Champion the Beverage program of the Hotel
- Maintains general knowledge of all menus, ingredients, and techniques.
- Assist in the development, implementation and management of food and beverage marketing activities.
- Oversees the cash handling procedures, staff scheduling, staff performance reviews, menu maintenance, and private event functions.
- Oversees the communication of disciplinary procedures and handling of grievances to the staff.
- Leads recruiting, training, professional development, and discipline of FOH staff.
- Ensures proper procedures are followed by management and staff regarding recording inventories.
- Ensures the maintenance and compliance of alcohol safety regulations.
- Ensures that the service team meets and exceeds guest expectations.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with guests and private dining groups to ensure guest satisfaction and repeat business.
- Greets and acknowledges all guests and staff
- Anticipates guest needs and responds promptly.
- Accommodates all requests for information courteously.
- Responds to guest complaints with the utmost professionalism and represent the brand at all times while balancing the guest’s best interests with the company’s.
- Ensures MOWAS standards are met at all times.
- Accountable for upholding MOQA, FORBES, LQA, LQE standards at all times
- Fully comply with all FLHSS&E and Safe & Sound Procedures standards
- Deliver financial results in compliance to financial goals for the operations.
- Oversees the maintenance and correct keeping of departmental documents.
- Oversees the accuracy of the time and attendance records for all FOH employees.
- Instructs the performance of FOH managers and administers formal review process.
- Actively involved in the day-to-day operations while respecting the collective bargaining agreement
- Represent, participate, and engage in operational and strategic meetings
- Generate a positive working atmosphere that promotes a climate of enthusiasm.
- Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Guiding Principles and D.E.L.I.G.H.T as part of ensuring Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement.
- Minimum 2 years leadership experience in a fast pace luxury environment
- Minimum 2 years leadership experience in Lounge/Bar operations
- Reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language with excellent communication skills.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule to include early mornings, late nights, weekends and holidays.
- Proven team leader with demonstrated ability to promote a climate of enthusiasm.
- Work in a safe, prudent and organized manner.
- Be able to relate to all levels of guests and management.
- Superior multi-tasking and organizational abilities.
- Be able to consistently delight and satisfy our guest.
- Have the ability to handle guest requests in a detailed manner.
- Must have excellent attention to details, and extensive service knowledge.
- Bachelor's Degree in hospitality or related field is required.
- Superior organizational skills. Must be a self-starter
- Possess an international sommelier certification level 3 or greater
- Bi-lingual abilities are preferred.
- Prior experience managing in a unionized environment is strongly favored.
- TIPS & ServSafe certifications preferred.
- Experience with SevenRooms and InfoGenesis
Success Profile for this Role (Hotel Competencies)
Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information (or preferences) and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with both internal and external customers and gains their trust and respect.
Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person's career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; encourages people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental and talent management system in the organization; is a people builder.
Drive for Results
Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Ethics and Values
Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches.
Integrity and Humility
Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; keeps confidences; admits mistakes and flaws. Can get things done quietly without unnecessary noise; is careful to make others comfortable; is authentic; helps others save face in difficult situations; maximizes the contribution of all; encourages the expression of viewpoints from all concerned; is modest and self-effacing; respects the views of others.
Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve him/herself; understands that different situations and levels may call for different skills and approaches; works to deploy strengths; works on compensating for weakness and limits. Picks up on the need to change personal, interpersonal, and managerial behavior and seeks feedback.
Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when under pressure or when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn't show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching goals; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
Functional and Technical skills
Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Building Effective Teams
Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Able to marshal resources (people, funding, material, support and time) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources and time effectively and efficiently; arranges information in a useful manner. Sets clear goals and responsibilities, monitors progress and results.
Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers. Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience.
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
It is Company policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities act, including by providing reasonable accommodations that do not constitute an undue hardship on the Company. Employees or applicants should direct requests for accommodation to Director of Human Resources.
Advertised: 14 Sep 2021 US Eastern Daylight Time