Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world’s most luxurious hotels, resorts and residences. Having grown from its Asian roots into a global brand, the Group now operates 32 hotels and six residences in 23 countries and territories, with each property reflecting the Group’s oriental heritage and unique sense of place. Mandarin Oriental has a strong pipeline of hotels and residences under development and is a member of the Jardine Matheson Group.
Set at the heart of the U.S. capital between Maine and Maryland Avenues and 12th and 14th Streets, SW, Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC has redefined luxury in the city. Just streets away from the nation’s most revered monuments and the Smithsonian Institution, the hotel is also within easy reach of Capitol Hill and District Wharf.
Overview of Position
It is the mission and intent of this position that the incumbent will take full responsibility for the Management and Leadership and ensure smooth running of food production operations and maintain standards within budget and culinary areas
- Lead the kitchen operation. Deliver quality products and services to guests and satisfaction to the colleagues though learning and development, team building and interaction. The Hotel Chef is responsible for the functioning of all food operations as well as delivering financial responsibilities to our shareholders and corporate offices.
- Prepare in accordance with quality, availability and seasonality and ensure market lists are completed on a daily and weekly basis.
- Plan, coordinate and supervise all menu planning and implementation.
- Ensure food standards and presentation are maintained and always improved.
- Organize food production in a cost effective and hygienic manner.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Assist the Purchasing Department with the purchase of all food items and kitchen equipment.
- Be responsible for recruitment, training and discipline of kitchen staff.
- Constantly strive to improve operating procedures.
- Be responsible for and accountable for the departmental operating budget.
- Find ways to improve the efficiency of the operations that will benefit the operations
- Find methods of reducing costs without affecting the level of service or product.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the department head from time to time.
- Oversees discipline of culinary employees.
- Use the Employee Handbook in understanding the consistent way of Communicating Rules & Regulation to our Team.
- Understand and be in compliance with union collective bargaining agreement.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures.
- Review and revise job descriptions for the culinary team in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Conduct Daily meetings (lineups) with team.
- Controlling & being accountable to the effort in achieving both Food & Labor Cost Goal.
- Collaborate with the Food & Beverage Office Manager to control food cost by maintaining food standards at reasonable cost through liaison with the Purchasing Department to check prices, market price fluctuation, quality, etc.
- Weekly Schedules approval process.
- Collaborate with the Food & Beverage Office Manager for Daily Payroll correction, including final payroll submitting.
- Forecasting/Weekly/Monthly/Actual versus Forecast
- 4+ years’ experience in culinary operations (luxury hotel specific culinary operations will be strongly favoured).
- 2+ years management experience as a Restaurant Chef, Hotel Sous Chef or Hotel Chef (luxury hotel specific management experience will be strongly favoured).
- Prior experience managing in a unionized work environment is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Arts and/or Culinary Degree is required.
- HAACP and Serv Safe Certification required; CEC Certification is preferred.
- Must possess demonstrated knowledge and experience with the following culinary operations areas: Banquets, Lobby Lounge and In Room Dining.
- Expertise in menu planning, writing and costing.
- String knowledge of food safety and handling is required.
- Must be computer proficient with MS Office, ADP TimeSaver and other food & beverage specific software applications.
- Knowing and be proficient with Adaco (procurement and costing software) a plus
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in English required.
- Able to meet the physical demands of the job to include standing/walking for extended periods while on shift; lift/carry/push/pull 25+ lbs.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to accomplish all business goals including early mornings, late nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to manage the various Kitchens without Chef de Cuisines and only with Sous Chefs
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Working with us means…
We are dedicated to delighting our guests and colleagues. We are committed to becoming the best and we emphasize working together to achieve this goal. We support acting with responsibility.
Working with us means working harmoniously, respectfully, passionately, and towards personal growth. Working with us means that you will be personally valued. From the initial interview through the comprehensive orientation to the numerous Learning and Development programmes, we are committed to providing a Mandarin Oriental ‘Colleague Journey’ that exceeds colleague expectations.
Become a Fan of MO! Click the links below to learn more about us!
Equal Employer Opportunity statement
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group’s colleagues to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Advertised: 20 Oct 2020 US Eastern Daylight Time