Nature of Work:
Performs accounting functions in support of the Company's or department's financial tracking, processing and reporting requirements. The incumbent is responsible for developing alternatives and solutions where guidelines are not available. The incumbent is responsible for interpreting internal policies and procedures and is seen as a resource to others.
- Collects financial data from multiple sources to prepare accounting entries, research problems encountered with the data or respond to inquiries regarding the entries.
- Verifies mathematical accuracy of accounting documents and reports. Determines and makes appropriate corrections.
- Codes a full-range of accounting entries following accounting guidelines.
- May audit expense reports for conformity with internal policy and I.R.S. regulations. May provide guidance and interpretation to others regarding the regulations.
- Processes data through an automated accounting system to record items such as operating expenses/accounts payable, travel expenses and other miscellaneous journal entries. Verifies the accuracy of the entries by analyzing edit reports.
- Reviews transactions rejected by the accounting system. Researches the reason for the rejection (e.g., coding, mathematical errors) and prepares the correcting entries.
- Performs data entry into a sophisticated tracking or reporting system utilizing spreadsheet, database or mainframe applications to develop detailed, complex back-up schedules for accounting entries.
- Reconciles discrepancies in amounts charged to accounting including complex accounts (e.g., bank accounts) that contain specialized non-recurring transactions. Researches discrepancies and unusual transactions/issues. Identifies errors, assesses the impact of the error and proposes corrections.
- Assists in completing filing requirements mandated by outside governmental agencies.
- Compiles and distributes financial reports.
- Maintains filing systems within department retrieves documents and responds to requests for information from the documents as necessary.
- May supervise other permanent or temporary support staff associates.
Typical Knowledge and Experience:
- Position requires a complete knowledge and full understanding of established bookkeeping and accounting procedures typically gained through extensive years of related accounting experience.
- Position requires a complete knowledge of the department's policies, procedures, products and services, customers and vendors.
- Position requires a complete knowledge of one or more business software applications primarily spreadsheet, database or mainframe.
- Incumbent receives minimal supervision. Instructions are received at the beginning of complex projects and work is generally reviewed at the completion of the project.
- Incumbent is responsible for prioritizing all work assignments.
- Job type
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible