Corporate Financial Accounting (“CFA”) is a headquarter-based accounting department responsible for the accounting and reporting relating to Marriott’s investment, development, joint venture, foreign exchange and international banking activities. The Assistant Manager will assist in the accounting and financial reporting for Marriott’s foreign currency hedges and derivative transactions, as well as analyses of consolidated financial results due to foreign exchange. Additionally, the position will support the department in partnering with multiple stakeholders to ensure delivery of department deliverables. This position reports to the Senior Manager, CFA Banking Team.CLS Expected Contributions and Responsibilities
- Develop a solid understanding of the accounting and reporting for foreign currency transactions and financial statement translations to ensure compliance with ASC 830, Foreign Currency Matters.
- Provide assistance and training on a regular basis to finance/accounting colleagues across the globe regarding foreign currency issues.
- Prepare analysis of company-wide impact to financial results driven by FX fluctuations and hedging activities; provide commentary and deliver reports to senior management and various groups within Global Finance.
- Analyze enterprise-wide FX exposures, including those in foreign assets and liabilities, cash flow from international affiliates, as well as net investments in foreign subsidiaries, in support of Global Treasury in executing hedging strategies to manage FX risk.
- Analyze foreign currency derivative instruments and determine the appropriate accounting treatment; work with Accounting Policy Group to ensure proper disclosure on forms 10-Q and 10-K.
- Perform assessment of functional currency determinations for new international subsidiaries and branches.
- Gather information on cumulative translation adjustment (CTA) for selected business units or operating units in support of potential divestiture transactions.
- Perform accounting research and apply complex accounting concepts on ad-hoc transactions and projects.
- Maintain systems and controls to ensure compliance with Marriott International policy (MIP 66) reporting requirements relating to foreign exchange.
- Support internal and external audit requests regarding foreign currency transactions, foreign currency hedging transactions, and currency translation adjustments.
- Act as a key contributor in the department’s continuous business process improvement efforts.
- Solid understanding of accounting concepts and standards, with close attention to details
- Strong software skills to extract and evaluate significant volumes of accounting data
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis and research skills
- Comfort with complexity, ambiguity, and change
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, promoting an environment that allows timely information flows and concise articulation of complex issues
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills to work in a team environment and maintain effective client relationships
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently and manage multiple time-sensitive assignments simultaneously
- Positive attitude with high degree of initiative, personal responsibility, and integrity
Specific Candidate Profile
- BS/BA in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline; CPA, MBA, or advanced degree in Accounting or Finance a plus
- Three or more years of progressive job experience in accounting/finance field
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, with strong focus on spreadsheet applications
- International accounting experience a plus, but not required
- PeopleSoft general ledger experience a plus, but not required