Leads a team in support of application delivery including resourcing, budget, structure, and policies and procedures. Manages performance compliance to the application delivery service level agreements. Monitors service level infractions and develops new SLAs and metrics as needed. Oversees planning and forecasting of application delivery service consumption, quality of service and customer satisfaction.
Responsible for managing the ongoing support, maintenance, enhancement, and quality assurance activities for Global Operations applications, serving a wide range of Business and IT customers across the globe. Provides product management, application maintenance and support, account management, vendor management and technology leadership across an application portfolio supporting property level business processes and operations. Partners with Plan, Build, and rollout teams, vendors and business sponsors for application delivery activities.
Education and Experience
- 10+ years of application product management, enhancement, and maintenance leadership experience
- Undergraduate degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or equivalent experience/certifications
- Five years recent experience with development methodologies as well as familiarity with new, emerging development frameworks
- Direct management of complex budgets of $3M+ in direct and indirect costs
- Direct management of cross functional, sourced, or matrixed teams
- Demonstrated success leading medium- to large-scale projects through the software development life cycle
- Proven application development leadership experience
- Expert knowledge of related applications (e.g. hospitality and operational applications such as but not limited to mobile guest services, property management systems, spa management systems, concierge systems, Transcendent, ScerIS, etc.)
- Experience with and knowledge of IT activities associated with one or more of the following environments: Application Service Provider (ASP), Managed Services Providers (MSP), Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) applications and custom developed applications
- Proven leadership experience in implementing and managing IT delivery teams
- Experience with and knowledge of IT outsourcing activities in a managed services environment
- Proven knowledge of all aspects of application delivery services
- Proven knowledge of development methodologies; solid understanding of ITIL v3 framework
- Strong negotiation, influencing, and problem resolution skills
- Demonstrated project management skills, and proven knowledge of formal project management techniques and processes
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Experience in business systems and process planning
- Knowledge of business environment, service requirements and hospitality culture
- Demonstrated ability to assess customer/client needs, creatively approach solutions, decide and influence appropriate courses of action
- Ability to understand and communicate the lifecycle of technologies and applications and to translate into business strategies for the client organizations
- Graduate degree
- Solid understanding of IT financial structures and ability to manage to corporate financial processes and standards - including drivers of process costs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate complex technical ideas in easy to understand business terms
- Ability to accomplish results through others, particularly by establishing relationships, effective controls and leading in a managed service environment
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Application Delivery Standards, Processes, And Tools
- Works with direct reports to facilitate consistency of service delivery across client groups
- Participates in the definition of and drives compliance with Service Integration standard processes and tools
- Ensures timely resolution of escalated service delivery problems and minimizes the impact of any client service delivery issue
- Communicates to Application Delivery leaders opportunities to create broader IT and corporate standards and policies where necessary
- Communicates important application development policy changes that affect service provider and/or Marriott operations
- Establishes contingency plans and manages efforts to minimize outages and ensure recovery of systems
- Manages the delivery of a set of applications projects in partnership with IT Business Partnership & Planning, Architecture and Development, and Technology Business Management, along with business partners, service providers, and vendors
- Manages the business and operational risk
- Facilitates continuous improvement, cost reduction opportunities, and trailing cost elimination
- Oversees effective reporting within and across the organization Application Delivery team
- Manages day-to day relationships with all IT teams to promote the delivery of services that meet or exceed the client expectations
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with business sponsors
- Monitors projects for alignment with defined business case process
- Drives timely resolution of escalated service delivery problems and minimizes the impact of any client service delivery issues
- Defines, manages, and improves service level reporting for application development
- Provides early warning to the appropriate leaders and team regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Assists with application, development and maintenance of service provider project management standards and tools
- Participates in client portfolio and demand management processes, and engages service providers to ensure client satisfaction
- Works with application development service providers
- Serves as the primary contact for managing provider incidents, problems, changes, release management, and other standard ITIL processes
- Manages Sarbanes-Oxley, PCI, and other regulatory compliance matters with the service providers and application vendors
- Validates the service provider(s) performs the services agreed to by the master services agreement in a manner that is consistent with both the spirit and the letter of the agreement
- Works with team to progress the service providers services to match client needs
- Facilitates team and service provider compliance with the agreement
- Validates service levels meet business needs
- Supports the IT organization
- Provides input to IT’s business strategy and planning as needed
- Supports and follows defined IT Governance decision rights, standards and practices
- Emphasizes accuracy and effectiveness of estimating and planning management with team
- Provides input to business/discipline and continent IT budgets
- Prepares assigned budgets and communicates as appropriate
- Manages operating departments for appropriate labor and controllable charges; validates applicable allocations in transfers
- Completes required forecasting activities
- Prepares and conducts ongoing operating results reviews with business sponsors
- Validates vendor invoices and ensures they conform with contract terms
- Completes capital expenditure and operating expenditure guidelines and provides input into enterprise processes
Implementing and Managing Continuous Improvement Program
- Drives adoption of CMMi or similar metrics to demonstrate continuous improvement and alignment with the industry
- Demonstrates continuous improvement through metrics of quality consistency and client satisfaction
- Works with application development service providers, IT teams, and business partners to implement continuous improvement activities
- Responds to issues identified in project surveys or other feedback processes, to continually improve client satisfaction
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment of goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Developing Others - Plans and supports the development of others’ skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively; provides high visibility to individuals with potential; offers challenging assignments that build confidence and credibility and provides such individuals with a personal vision for their future.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Technical Intelligence: knowledge and ability to identify technological opportunities and threats that could affect the future growth and survival of the business.
- Technology Life Cycle: knowledge of the Life Cycle of technologies and how applications, infrastructure, and processes relate to these timelines.
- IT Systems: Knowledge of IT systems supporting the business including benefits, requirements, costs, justification, and operations.
- IT Resources: The ability to secure and manage IT resources to achieve business objectives (e.g., contracts, vendor relationships, financial accountability, portfolio management, information and resource planning) and measure project impact.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Strategy Knowledge - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specificstrategic work challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible