The Director, Data Science Operations will be a key member of the Global Data Strategy, Activation, and Operations organization and help lead our overall efforts to transform Marriott International into a data driven organization. Reporting to the Senior Director, Data Science Operations and Platforms, she or he will play a critical role in owning and driving the Data Platform product roadmap in coordination with Data Strategy, Advanced Data Science, Analytics, and IT.
- BS/BA required from an accredited university in one of either CS/Engineering, Data Science, Business Administration, Marketing; MBA or equivalent graduate degree preferred
- 7+ years experience in product management or consulting with a focus on big data/analytics products
- Experience with Data Platform technologies such as AWS, Spark, Python, Hive, etc. and BI tooling such as Tableau, PowerBI, Looker, etc.
- Demonstrated experience applying Data Science Ops and DevOps principles to develop Data Platforms and prioritize capabilities
- Experience with data-driven product design and decision making
- Experience with Marketing / Advertising data (e.g. Google DoubleClick, Advertising networks, TradeDesks etc.) a plus
- Experience applying knowledge of data to solve Business problems i.e. driving value with data
- Prior data engineering or analytics experience a plus
- Experience with Agile delivery methodologies a plus
- Demonstrated experience and success leading with influence and cultivating relationships across a highly-matrixed, cross-functional organization resulting in real outcomes and advancement of business strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and business acumen
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Comfort with ambiguity and changing priorities as is common in large programs, ability to lead through influence/without direct authority
- Further the Modern Data Platform Product roadmap in line with MDP vision and strategy
- Collaborate with Data Strategy, Advanced Data Science, Analytics, Privacy & Security, Governance, and IT to define and prioritize delivery of key products and capabilities
- Own and drive development projects, establishing key milestones and timely delivery against those milestones
- Develop success criteria and measurement plan for the Platform
- Help to ensure appropriate sponsorship and resourcing
- Informs and/or updates leaders on relevant information in a timely manner.
- Manages time effectively and conducts activities in an organized manner.
- Presents ideas, expectations and information in a concise, organized manner.
- Uses problem solving methodology for decision making and follow up.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders across the organization. Fosters a positive climate to build effective teams that are committed to organizational goals and initiatives.
- Updates stakeholders on key initiative wins and opportunities, responds to concerns, and solicits feedback. Engages leadership to develop and execute action plans to address gaps.
- Assists direct reports with building and maintaining stakeholder relationships as business partnerships.
- Shows an understanding of the needs of different customer/stakeholder segments and develops appropriate service strategies.
- Creates a service‐oriented environment and empowers others to build strong customer/stakeholder relationships.
- Monitors customer/stakeholder feedback and metrics to improve service delivery.
- Uses appropriate risk management resources when serious customer/stakeholder situations occur.
- Creates and coaches others on promoting an environment where everyone is valued and included.
- Champions the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
- Ensures processes are in place to address concerns related to equity and fair treatment.
- Brings together people with diverse backgrounds to drive innovation and engagement.
- Establishes diverse partnerships across the industry, profession, and Company.
- Champions the attraction, development, and retention of a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
- Ensures that all associates have the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
- Implements programs that promote inclusion and engagement.
- Ensures strategies are in place to promote inclusion, enhance engagement, and maximize business results.
- Builds strong working relationships across departments or teams.
- Models and coaches others on creating an open, trusting, and supportive work environment.
- Coaches others on how their behavior impacts coworkers and the work environment.
- Coaches direct reports to work together to set expectations for achieving shared goals.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Contributes to an environment that supports feedback and ongoing development.
- Coaches others by providing constructive feedback.
- Develops others by identifying needs and securing resources in area of expertise.
- Builds relationships to attract talent and actively recruits candidates with skills in high demand.
- Participates in the hiring process and ensures successful onboarding of new hires.
- Continuously improves the structures and processes of program area.
- Puts systems and processes in place to manage performance.
- Brings together the appropriate talent levels and mix of skill sets to drive innovation and performance.
- Establishes the scope of technical decision‐making authority.
- Uses meetings and other forums to regularly communicate status of work.
Communication and Professional Demeanor
- Actively listens and uses appropriate communication styles to deliver information in an articulate, understandable, and engaging way.
- Influences others to accept a point of view, gain consensus, or take action.
- Keeps leaders informed about key issues.
- Models and coaches others on displaying a leadership style that conveys confidence and gains respect from others.
Leading Through Vision and Values
- Models, coaches, and holds others accountable for leading ethically and with a high degree of integrity.
- Promotes a convincing and inspiring vision for the direction of the Company, brand, and team.
- Models and holds departments and project teams accountable for developing and implementing programs that reflect the Company’s core values.
- Presents the need for change in a positive way that encourages commitment and action.
- Encourages others to identify ways to implement desired changes.
- Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
- Models flexibility and adjusts others’ and own priorities when managing multiple demands.
- Manages stakeholder expectations during change.
- Develops strategies and provides resources to implement change.
- Takes steps to minimize the stress others feel when change occurs.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Models and sets expectations for offering suggestions and solving complex problems.
- Uses data from different sources to evaluate alternatives, consider their potential impact, and make decisions.
- Involves key stakeholders to gain agreement and support before making high impact decisions.
- Makes key decisions and guides others to implement solutions in a reasonable amount of time.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of Company, brand, discipline, and program strategies.
- Uses data to thoroughly evaluate opportunities and focuses on those with the greatest potential business impact.
- Adapts global Company and brand strategies into plans that can be implemented within the business to maximize customer/stakeholder satisfaction and profitability.
- Uses data to build program strategies and make the business case for stakeholder commitment.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Uses an understanding of market dynamics and the business environment to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Monitors industry and market changes and adjusts priorities as needed.
- Sets department or team standards and uses key business metrics to evaluate performance.
- Models and coaches others on making business decisions based on data from a variety of sources.
- Evaluates profit and loss statements, develops operating budgets, and conducts forecasting.
- Demonstrates sound business judgment in addressing resource needs and improving efficiencies while balancing associate, customer/stakeholder, and financial results.
- Creates an environment where learning is valued and encouraged.
- Models and sets expectations for others to evaluate own and others’ strengths and developmental needs.
- Secures resources and creates opportunities for self and others to improve performance through stretch assignments and other professional development activities.
- Models and coaches others on staying current on industry and discipline trends and holds others accountable for using relevant best practices.
- Establishes training requirements for the team and holds others accountable for meeting training goals.
- Maintains expert technical knowledge and skills and models their use for others.
- Models and promotes the appropriate use of facilities, equipment, and materials to perform the job.
- Models and coaches others on maintaining compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Builds partnerships across teams to solve complex issues and improve performance.
- Analyzes unique technical issues, systems, or problems that have broad impact.
- Recommends and coaches others on technical standards and processes to support work requirements.
- Generates and communicates the business case for applying innovative technical solutions that create value and/or mitigate risk.
Building a Successful Team
- Coordinates with other departments and teams and helps clarify the responsibilities of each group.
- Communicates clear expectations about how departments, teams, and individuals contribute to success.
- Considers associates’ strengths and team dynamics when assigning work.
- Coaches and holds others accountable for establishing team‐building strategies and encouraging cooperation.
- Involves team members in making decisions that impact the team.
- Recognizes achievements that support department and team success.
Driving for Results
- Reinforces a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, innovation, and strong business performance.
- Works with others to establish shared and individual goals.
- Monitors department, team, and individual performance.
- Makes sure associates are clear on expectations, timelines, and budget requirements.
- Identifies and focuses on business opportunities that have the highest value for the Company.
- Helps others understand work requirements by explaining why the work is important and by breaking down projects into manageable tasks.
- Analyzes team and individual workload to prioritize tasks and delegate appropriately.
- Identifies and obtains the equipment, materials, personnel, and other resources teams need to accomplish their work.
- Establishes and coaches others on processes for monitoring work quality and project milestones.