Defines the transformation and cloud enablement of our Big Data, Data Streaming, and Analytics platforms. Leads the efforts to expand the company’s use of Big Data, Data Streaming, and Analytics to promote new innovative approaches to obtaining insights that drive real-time business actions. Strong focus on defining the data management, operational reporting, dashboards, and analytics environment that will enable more efficient and effective decision making. Owns the strategic technology landscape for the domain and work with IT and discipline executives to influence the roadmap. Accountable for leading a team that is responsible for the development and communication of technical strategies, design patterns, best practices, roadmaps, and solution architectures.
- 12+ years’ experience in the development of technology strategies, enterprise, business, and solution architectures
- 5 years' experiencing with Data, Data Warehousing, and Analytics architecture development
- 5 years’ experience architecting and implementing Big Data and Real-time Analytics solutions
- 4 years demonstrated experience architecting data products in Public Cloud
- 2 years’ experience architecting and implementing Machine Learning pipelines for both offline and online use cases
- Expertise with Open Source technologies including Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, Couchbase, and Cassandra
- Expertise with commercial BI solutions including Tableau and Cognos
- Experience with Informatica Data Governance tool suite
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience/certifications
- Ability to lead a team of solution architects supporting various initiatives
- Expertise with Open Source technologies including Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, Couchbase, and Cassandra
- Experience with commercial productions including Cloudera, Netezza, Microstrategy, Tableau, Cognos, and Informatica
- Experience with Big Data, Master Data Management (MDM), Data Visualization, Data retention strategies, ETL, OLAP for both structured and unstructured data.
- Experience with Data Privacy and Security requirements include GDPR, CCPA, and other International privacy regulations
- Applied knowledge of various data protection and data lifecycle management patterns including encryption-at-rest and in-motion, format-preserving encryption, role-based access controls and data archiving and purging management
- Experience with Data Science Modeling, Machine Learning, and AI tooling including Panda, SageMaker, DominoLabs, etc.
- Experience in the design and tuning of high user concurrency and large data volume analytical platforms
- Advanced degree in computer science, information systems, or computer engineering.
- Experience in leading complex, cross-functional problem-solving initiatives
- Excellent technical architecture and technical support documentation skills
- Experienced in conducting research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required
- A broad understanding of all major technical platforms, technical architecture models, and enterprise architecture strategies
- In-depth knowledge of architecture standards, methodologies, and processes
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Previous experience delivering architecture in a Product-based Technology Operating Model
- Familiarity with Agile delivery methodologies
Managing the Day-To-Day Enterprise Architecture
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of Marriott’s strategic business plans.
- Documents and develops in-depth knowledge of existing IT architecture/infrastructure, and technology portfolio.
- Develops and documents technology standards policies. Communicates to and works with the managed service providers to enforce policies.
- Conducts research on emerging technologies in support of infrastructure development efforts, and recommends technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and infrastructure flexibility.
- Develops documents, makes recommendations, and communicates plans for investing in IT infrastructure, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
- Reviews new and existing IT projects, systems designs, and procurement/outsourcing plans for compliance with IT standards and architectural plans.
- Provides architectural, standards, and process support for definition and implementation of a consistent technical infrastructure.
- Monitors creation and maintenance of technical roadmaps.
- Leads establishment and communication of architecture standards and tools.
- Establishes and verifies compliance with technical architecture standards, processes, principles, and methodologies.
- Governs and leads global architecture design, frameworks, and integration architecture for enterprise infrastructure in monolithic, distributed, and client server environments.
- Leads the planning and definition of architecture transition plans, both strategic and tactical.
- Leads the review of proposed solution architectures, both service based and custom development, for technical compliance.
- Forecasts needs and skills requirements for technical architecture and design resources based on project priorities.
- Leads architecture risk assessments, documenting architecture risk and developing architecture risk mitigation plans for major development projects.
- Identifies appropriate life cycle management of technology tools and platforms.
- Define and implement an architecture risk assessment process.
Building Successful Relationships
- Collaborates with end users, senior management, and managed service providers to define business requirements for complex systems development and gain buy-in for all infrastructure plans.
- Works with the managed service providers to design, develop, and monitor implementation of end-to-end integrated systems.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Champions the development of architecture associates to define and validate technical roadmaps and standards and to evaluate and seek professional talent.
- Provides architectural consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to technical associates.
- Verifies that effective leadership is in place and that succession bench strength is defined.
- Provides guidance to junior members of the staff.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to identify technological opportunities and threats that could affect the future growth and survival of the business.
- Technology Life Cycle: Knowledge of the Life Cycle of technologies and how applications, infrastructure, and processes relate to these timelines.
- Development Methodologies: Knowledge of development methodologies as well as new/upcoming development methodologies.
- Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.