We are looking for a leader to drive and mature our operational data capabilities. You'll be accountable for the architecture, design, and configuration of complex, globally distributed, scalable database platforms, including but not limited to Couchbase. You will work with solution architects and software engineers to optimize the performance, reliability, and scalability pre- and post- production. You will review existing configurations and installations and provide design decisions for improvements to database platform environments. Additionally, you will be accountable for data model and indexing recommendations to optimize query performance. You will implement, and deliver architectures, standards, and design patterns to drive consistency of deployment to federated cloud architectures. You will also be accountable for providing guidance to enable delivery teams to select the appropriate database technology for their use cases. You will manage and govern the platform and produce release plans and monthly health statistics.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree (Computer Science, Information Systems, or Computer Engineering) or equivalent experience
- 10+ years relevant work experience developing Information, Data, and Analytics Architectures including conceptual and logical diagrams, models, prototypes, and roadmaps
- 6+ years relevant experience in the management and governance of Enterprise Platforms
- 4+ years working with various DBMS technologies including RDBMS’s, Key-Value Stores, Document-Stores, Columnar Database and Graph Databases
- 2+ years relevant work with building and deploying applications in Public Cloud
- 2+ years experience architecting, designing, and supporting Couchbase for high-performance in geographically distributed cloud environments
- Expertise with one or more of Open Source platforms including Couchbase, Cassandara or other NoSQL platforms.
- Experience developing NoSQL data models that are optimized for various consumption models including API, Data Streaming, Eventing, and Batch
- Experience in the design and tuning of high user concurrency and large data volume application
- Demonstrated experience with cross data center replication and data federation
- Proven experience of deploying data solutions in Private Cloud, Hybrid Cloud, and On-Prem environments
- Passionate learner who actively seeks to learn about new technologies and approaches
- Experience in evaluating and monitoring platform health, developing capacity plans, and managing the platform roadmap.
- Active in the Open Source Community
- Build and lead the internal community for operational database technologies within Marriott
- Develops and delivers long-term strategic goals for technology architecture vision and standards in conjunction, data users, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders.
- Assesses and determines governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing technology across the organization.
- Creates short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives and an overall technology management roadmap.
- Conducts technology life cycle, duration, usage requirements, feasibility studies, and other tasks.
- Identifies and develops opportunities for reuse, migration, or retirement.
- Verifies that technology strategies and architectures are in regulatory compliance.
Developing and Maintaining Requirements and Standards
- Develops and promotes technology management methodologies and standards.
- Defines requirements for implementing the appropriate tools, software, applications, and systems to support appropriate technology goals.
- Defines requirements for establishing methods and procedures for tracking technology quality, completeness, and redundancy.
- Defines requirements to address technology-related problems in regards to systems integration, compatibility, and multiple-platform integration.
- Defines requirements to develop and implement key components as needed to create testing criteria in order to guarantee the fidelity and performance of technology architecture.
- Defines requirements for Service Providers for documenting the technology architecture and environment in order to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger technology picture.
Building Successful Relationships
- Collaborates with Project Managers and business unit leaders for all projects involving enterprise data.
- Acts as a leader and advocate of technology management, including coaching, training, and career development to staff.
- Liaises with vendors and Service Providers to select the products or services that best meet company goals.
- Mentoring engineers to strengthen their database architecture, design and management skills
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence - Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
- Development Methodologies - Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security - Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible