The Manager, Data Visualization will support the Data & Reporting platform team by creating innovative and informative data visualization products. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Data Visualization, the Manager will assist in developing data visualization templates, improving existing reporting, and advising on new needs from CX and the business. In this capacity they will work with CX Reporting & Analytics, iT, and the Data Domain Management & Engineering team to manage and improve existing customer data and reporting. They should have a passion for telling stories with data and using data to make business decisions.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated individual with strong data visualization skills and experience developing highly complex reports and presentations based on data available in Marriott’s data platform per the needs of the discipline or CX team.
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in quantitative, data intensive discipline such as Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Operations Research, Math or related field.
- 2-4 years’ prior experience in an analytical role or a related technical discipline
- Experience developing data visualizations is required, experience in design related fields is a plus
- Must have experience analyzing large amounts of data from disparate sources to solve complex business problems; experience with one or more of SQL, Python, R or other data structuring and shaping languages/technologies is required
- Must have experience with Visualization tools (Tableau, Microstrategy, Cognos, PowerBI, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics or other similar tools) and data ingestion tools
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Access is preferred
- Experience with statistical analysis, business intelligence, and data mining tools is a plus
- Demonstrated track record of working with both technical and business team members to solve problems using data
- Experience with user centered design in data visualization
- Experience developing intuitive and attractive data visualizations; ability to think about the needs of the business as they evolve and translate this to improved visualization products
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to engage effectively with stakeholders across the organization
- Ability to articulate clearly and present complex issues to associates at all organizational levels
- Prior experience in Digital, Loyalty, Marketing, or related business disciplines a plus
- Graphic design experience a plus, but not required
The Manager, Data Visualization will bring creative thinking and user focused design to the data, analytic, and reporting function of CX. They will bring to bear their passion for conveying complex data in elegant, well-thought out visualizations for CX and its business partners alike to further our mission of creating impactful tools that lead to better informed business decisions. Her/his core work activities will include:
- Assisting in capturing and documenting new requirements from both business and CX for data visualizations, dashboards, and reports and translate those into workstreams to improve existing reporting or kick off new projects
- Support development of standards for data visualization and maintain data visualization design toolkit
- Explore new tools and methods to continuously improve CX’s data visualization capabilities and establish a true center of excellence
- Represents the CX Reporting and Analytics Team as a participant on related reporting projects and task forces as appropriate
- Adaptability – Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication – Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Job type
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Sales & Marketing
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- Duration of the contract