Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The Manager, Planning + Services – Special Projects + Program Tools is a key member of the Global Consumer Operations Planning & Services organization that provides strategic planning and project management services across the Global Consumer Operations Organization. This position plans, leads and monitors all activities for multiple smaller projects or manages larger projects under the leadership of the Sr Director . This role is responsible for leading associates, cross-functional teams and external partners through the implementation of Global Consumer Operation Strategy and development of enterprise requirements and organizational Points-of-View of these requirements, (e.g. technology, business process improvement, etc.). This position is responsible for engaging key stakeholders to identify, plan and execute on project initiatives that will enable a successful delivery against the strategic priorities of Marriott International. The Manager, Business Support will activate and sustain effective business relationships through strategic thought leadership, customer advocacy and strong abilities to navigate and influence work across Consumer Operations. Success in this role requires strong organizational skills, strategic thinking, and the ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time. This position will work closely with other departments within Consumer Operations and/ or Marriott’s Corporate Headquarters (e.g., iT, Digital, Brand and Marketing, Customer Experience, etc.).
This individual will focus primarily on projects similar to ones in the following areas:
• Facilitate the development of enterprise requirements and organizational Points-of-View of these requirements that support advancement of the Consumer Operations organization (e.g. technology, business process improvement, etc.).
• Strategic planning implementation and process improvement engagements to support the evolution of teams and priority projects
• Manage ad-hoc initiatives and programs such as internal/external stakeholder meetings, deployment modifications and other strategic initiatives.
• 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major
Attributes Skills & Experience Preferred
• Design Thinking: Strong at analysis, creative brainstorming, design, end-user/customer segmentation and mapping in order to support solution-focused problem solving to critical enterprise challenges.
• Advance Facilitation Skills: Support the design, development, and delivery of complex stakeholder experiences, using design thinking, creativity, and expert communication skills, to deliver powerful, results-oriented meetings and workshops.
• Change and Ambiguity: Able to support the organization and team in working through unclear situations, challenges and opportunities through strong situation analysis and framing, rapid stakeholder assessments, critical decision making, solution brainstorming, and making data-driven way forward recommendations.
• Preferred previous experience in a consulting role or company
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leads cross-functional teams comprised of discipline experts from iT, Digital, Brand and Marketing, Customer Experience, other Consumer Operations departments, and other key stakeholders to:
• Implement initiatives with minimal oversight, working with stakeholders and team leadership to meet project objectives and goals on time and on budget
• Provides thought leadership and consultation, planning and expertise to key stakeholders in developing and driving business objectives and alignments related to Consumer Operations disciplines system and technology strategy.
• Create and deliver periodic and on-going presentations on findings and opportunities for senior management and other key stakeholders (e.g., owners) in areas for improvement in technology, process, and workforce development.
Manages the implementation of program initiatives by gathering stakeholder information, producing program updates in a timely manner, and ensuring delivery deadlines are met.
• Provide project management and system support for stakeholders
• Actively engage internal partners (e.g., change management, communications, HR, OFS) to prepare content for materials as needed for deployment of Consumer Operations initiatives.
Leads initiatives in partnership with stakeholder team to drive change across the organization. Acts as a project leader and day-to-day project decision maker with the following responsibilities:
• Provide content guidance to the project by establishing and documents approach for business strategy development and implementation, including the measurement and long-term sustainment of project objectives
• Participate in review cycles at key milestones & provide go/no-go decision
• Contribute to strategy development by actively participating in strategy sessions
• Ensure appropriate sponsorship and resourcing
• Establish key milestones and approval role to ensure timely delivery against milestones
Delivers program Key Performance Indicator metrics to measure regional performance, goal tracking and process improvement.
Collects data insights to inform strategy development, track performance and recommend solutions.
Utilizes standard approaches and processes for consistent execution of projects throughout all project phases (Planning, Design, Build and Implementation).
Drives execution of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
Partners with hotel stakeholders to capture feedback, resolve issues, and facilitate cross-group discussions to drive business strategy and and/or technical solutions.
Ensures strategy initiatives, priorities and operations are represented and advocated for, to all accountable resources to achieve goals and objectives.
Facilitates continent alignment of project goals and objectives. Drives pre-launch planning activities utilizing cross-discipline, scalable processes and communication channels
• Champions adoption of technology and tools.
• Provides information to supervisors and co-workers by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person in a timely manner.
• Demonstrates self-confidence, energy and enthusiasm.
• Informs and/or updates leaders on relevant information in a timely manner.
• Manages time effectively and conducts activities in an organized manner.
• Presents ideas, expectations and information in a concise, organized manner.
• Uses problem solving methodology for decision making and follow up.
• Performs other reasonable duties as assigned by manager.
• Travel required.
• Builds credibility with others and encourages strong working relationships.
• Creates a work environment in which others feel comfortable sharing thoughts and feedback.
• Shows awareness of how own behavior impacts others and the work environment.
• Encourages others to work together.
• Models and empowers others to anticipate and respond to customer/stakeholder preferences and feedback.
• Clearly explains policies in ways that create strong customer/stakeholder relationships.
• Monitors customer/stakeholder satisfaction and takes appropriate action.
• Resolves customer/stakeholder issues and concerns raised by others.
• Creates an environment where everyone is valued and included.
• Models and coaches others on representing the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
• Acts when others are treated unfairly or are not valued and respected for their unique skills.
• Looks for and uses ideas and opinions from diverse sources.
• Attracts, develops, and retains a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
• Gives all associates the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
• Organizes activities that promote inclusion.
• Maintains an awareness of changing customer/stakeholder and associate characteristics.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
• Ensures the work is organized so it can be effectively completed.
• Continuously improves work processes.
• Brings together the appropriate mix of associate knowledge and skills to complete work.
• Coaches others on scope of technical decision‐making authority.
• Uses meetings and other forums to regularly communicate status of work.
• Provides, seeks, and acts on constructive feedback.
• Develops others by identifying needs and providing resources in area of expertise.
• Uses professional networks to attract top talent in area of expertise.
• Participates in the hiring process and ensures successful on‐boarding of newassociates.
• Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
• Communicates to others why change is happening and how it impacts their work.
• Models flexibility when managing multiple demands and changing priorities.
• Provides resources that help others deal with change and challenges.
• Adjusts team and own priorities when experiencing change or challenges.
• Determines how change impacts stakeholders and communicates concerns to leadership.
Communication and Professional Demeanor
• Clearly presents complex information using different methods.
• Adapts communication style based on the audience.
• Demonstrates active listening to ensure understanding.
• Models and coaches others on appropriately interpreting verbal and non‐verbal behavior.
• Models and coaches others on displaying professionalism and gaining respect from others.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Identifies issues and makes suggestions to solve complex problems affecting daily work.
• Models and coaches’ others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts.
• Looks for and shares information with others before making a decision.
• Models and coaches’ others on identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions.
• Involves and gains agreement from others when making key decisions.
• Makes complex decisions and works with others to implement solutions in reasonable amount of time.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
• Sets own career goals and identifies developmental areas for self and others.
• Uses resources and challenging assignments to improve performance of self and others.
• Gathers, shares, and uses information about industry and discipline trends and best practices.
• Budgets for training to support associate development, as applicable.
• Coaches and holds others accountable for professional growth.
• Ensures others understand how their work impacts property and team performance.
• Coaches others on the drivers of performance and their impact on key business and property metrics.
• Shows an understanding of how different customer/stakeholder groups have different revenue potential.
• Identifies innovative ways to improve, productivity, customer/stakeholder satisfaction, and profitability.
• Maintains advanced technical knowledge and skills and models their use for others.
• Models and promotes the appropriate use of facilities, equipment, and materials to perform the job.
• Demonstrates and shares expertise in policies, procedures, and legal requirements.
• Manages and completes complex technical assignments and coaches others on solving advanced technical issues.
• Demonstrates and reinforces technical standards and processes to support work requirements.
• Identifies innovative technical approaches and communicates how they can improve processes or business functioning.
Building and Contributing to Teams
• Promotes teamwork by explaining how each associate supports shared goals.
• Builds commitment to team goals by explaining how they support department and property success.
• Works with team members to solve issues and make decisions that impact them.
• Manages disagreements among team members.
• Recognizes department, team, and individual achievements.
Driving for Results
• Creates a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, and innovation.
• Makes sure others understand performance expectations.
• Sets and tracks goal progress for self and others.
• Monitors the work of others to ensure it is completed on time and meets expectations.
• Breaks down barriers so team members can accomplish their work.
Planning and Organizing
• Prioritizes group activities based on importance, urgency, and impact to goals.
• Manages team workload and delegates assignments appropriately.
• Ensures team members have the equipment, materials, and other resources needed to accomplish their work.
• Avoids conflicts when setting project timelines and communicates key milestones and deadlines to others.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.