Manages a team of Program Directors and Business Analysts who work with IT and business discipline leads to plan technology investments, develop technology strategy/roadmaps, uncover solutions, inform demand management and address escalations in support of Marriott’s Digital Platforms. Develops and manages the API roadmap and initiative backlog to ensure that we support cross functional team objectives and delivery goals. Leads the business planning and modeling phases for proposed initiatives with an understanding of technical and business priorities. Manages complex, cross-functional initiatives that require significant coordination across business disciplines and IT.
- 10+ years’ experience in large, complex programs/projects that include
- Building and Managing relationships with business customers, IT organizations and external service providers
- Leading teams and managing people
- Developing business cases
- Demonstrating ability to resolve conflicts and drive direction/focus
- 5+ years’ experience managing strategic API platforms and technologies
- BS/BA or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience leading the overall direction, roadmap and governenace of APIs / API Platforms in a complex technical environment
- Strong understanding of API platform business models that drive adoption and value for an organization
- Experience with best practices around governing API platforms
- Ability to evangelize and sell the benefits of a well-managed API platform
- Experience with development of program and project standards in a sourced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others.
- Excellent analytical skills with complex problems/issues.
- Experience with business process re-engineering.
- Strong process management, negotiating, influencing and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to understand and communicate the lifecycle of technologies and applications and to translate into business strategies
- Ability to accomplish results through others, particularly by establishing partnerships with discipline and IT teams
- Experience developing and executing multi-year plans.
- Skilled at converting business needs into technology requirements and working within IT to manage the execution of those projects.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Provides thought leadership to business/discipline to align technology with business strategies
- Provides input to and shapes discipline technology roadmaps
- Facilities forums for technology governance and portfolio management and prioritization
- Serves as the escalation point of contact for assigned discipline(s); leads efforts to resolve escalated issues
- Prepares and delivers presentations on technology investments
- Creates a shared vision for solutions and facilitates decision making. Negotiates trade-offs within and across different solution platforms.
- Drives consensus amongst other functions relative to the timing of solution introduction and technology retirement
- Identifies, evaluates, and presents new solution opportunities to address gaps
- Leads modeling and planning phases for new initiatives under consideration
- Leads development and maintenance of API platform roadmap and initiative backlog
- Leads effort to document business goals and high-level requirements, providing oversight to and direction to Directors and Business Analysts
- Drives collaboration with Enterprise Architecture and Infrastructure Delivery to confirm proposed solutions are compatible with IT standards
- Manages and is accountable for the development of thorough and accurate business requirements, validating that solutions will meet discipline needs prior to development.
- Manages and is accountable for business case development. Partners with customer and IT Build teams to complete business cases by providing relevant IT information and monitoring its ability to meet all relevant IT standards.
- Aligns projects with technology roadmaps and technology enterprise architecture.
- Incorporates project plans, costs, schedules, and deliverables to meet business need and in support of the business case.
- Monitors project risk management and creates or identifies/directs mitigation plans for each risk.
- Collaborates with discipline partners to develop annual budgets
- Partners with other IT groups (Build, Run, Manage-Enable) to provide financial transparency to discipline partners
- Manages technology roadmaps to guide solutions along a common path as well as retirement or migration of lesser-used or expensive to maintain technologies.
- Aligns with Security and Privacy to validate that processes are followed to protect and secure customer and/or associate data
- Engages with Vendor Relations to develop service agreements with external companies on behalf of the discipline
- Manages a team; responsible for staffing, performance management and development, and creating a positive work environment
- Mentors and coaches Plan program managers and program team members as appropriate
- Actively drives maturity of IT operating model (i.e. participation in Communities of Practices) and continuous improvement
- Serves as escalation for project managers, if required.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Business Process and Analysis – Knowledge of multiple processes within sponsor department; ability to document key process flows, recognize processes for redesign, identify opportunities and translate business processes into information system’s needs. Ability to define quality measures and evaluate performance against standards and to identify issues, risks and possible paths of resolution or mitigation strategies.
- IT Business Management – Ability to monitor and evaluate trends in technology, technology delivery mechanisms and IT organizational processes and tools. This includes the ability to redefine processes, make recommendations, and perfect process governance frameworks.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible