The Senior Director, Brand Marketing (Sheraton) is the strategic and integrated marketing lead for the Sheraton brand and is a key member of the brand marketing leadership team. This position is responsible for developing distinct marketing strategies and plans and overseeing brand marketing programs and budgets for the Sheraton Hotel brands. He/she will provide consumer and channel marketing expertise, develop communication platforms and work cross functionally to ensure brand voice and messaging is pulled through in digital and traditional channels such as Marriott.com and social media sites.
This position will partner with brand management and other key stakeholders, including global marketing, ecommerce, public relations and owner/franchise service, to support brand business plans and drive brand preference and profitability. In addition, this role will lead the Sheraton Hotels marketing team and will set clear and manage the activities of individual contributors.
Core responsibilities for this position include:
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Marketing, or related
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience in marketing or related function, demonstrating progressive career growth and pattern of exceptional performance.
Establishing and executing brand-wide marketing plans, strategies and programs
- Determines and drive effective marketing approach for the brands across all consumer-facing touch points in collaboration with global marketing, brand management, public relations, ecommerce, owner/franchise services, sales, field marketing, continental teams and other organizations, to support the positioning and growth of both brands.
- Serves as central point-of-contact for marketing the brands to drive differentiation and activation of the Sheraton Hotels brands
- Ensures oversight and business expertise to ensure the successful execution of brand marketing strategies and programs.
- Develops marketing, competitive and consumer insights to inform the business, marketing plan, as well as marketing activities.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders (especially with new portfolio & platform teams) to develop, create and deliver brand specific marketing program results including brand voice, messaging, creative platforms, advertising, public relations, promotions, brand experience partnerships, paid search, experiential marketing and events, direct marketing, website development (including HWS), digital and social media, channel planning and optimization, media mix/planning, continental/regional pull through strategies and tool content development.
- Interfaces heavily with continental Vice Presidents of Brand, Marketing and eCommerce to develop and execute appropriate marketing strategies and plans globally for Sheraton Hotels, globally.
- Develops communication and marketing briefs.
Manages marketing program budgets and scorecard results
- Develops annual marketing program budgets and allocate budgets by program based on marketing plans. Maintain tracking and reporting of key budget operational processes and reports throughout the year.
- Works with Insights Strategy and Innovation, Reporting & Analytics, Finance and other groups to develop/maintain marketing scorecard processes and reports throughout the year.
Managing the marketing team, including cross-functional teams
- Hires, develops and inspires high performance marketing associates in accordance with company policies.
- Assigns work and manage processes and activities to ensure deadlines are met, high quality work is delivered and business results are achieved.
- Partners with and manages the scope of work assigned to agencies – including media, creative and social media.
- Identifies “best in class” marketing practices and share learnings as appropriate.
- Ability to synthesize and interpret information, communicate actionable insights, and develop a 1-2 year marketing plan based on those insights
- Proven ability to lead and work with cross-functional teams in support of specific business priorities
- Team player that works well with counterparts from various functions/departments and has the ability to influence the work of counterparts without direct reporting accountability
- Experience identifying need for and interpreting customer research and marketing analytics
- Proven ability to develop successful, consumer-insight driven brand campaigns and programs with budget of at least $10M
- Must be skilled in developing and executing integrated marketing communications approaches, to include TV, print, online, experiential, direct marketing, etc.
- Must have experience managing media plans, creative development and production for both online and offline communications
- Shows an understanding of the needs of different customer/stakeholder segments and develops appropriate service strategies.
- Creates a service‐oriented environment and empowers others to build strong customer/stakeholder relationships.
- Monitors customer/stakeholder feedback and metrics to improve service delivery.
- Uses appropriate risk management resources when serious customer/stakeholder situations occur.
- Creates and coaches others on promoting an environment where everyone is valued and included.
- Champions the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
- Ensures processes are in place to address concerns related to equity and fair treatment.
- Brings together people with diverse backgrounds to drive innovation and engagement.
- Establishes diverse partnerships across the industry, profession, and Company.
- Champions the attraction, development, and retention of a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
- Ensures that all associates have the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
- Implements programs that promote inclusion and engagement.
- Ensures strategies are in place to promote inclusion, enhance engagement, and maximize business results.
- Builds strong working relationships across departments or teams.
- Models and coaches others on creating an open, trusting, and supportive work environment.
- Coaches others on how their behavior impacts coworkers and the work environment.
- Coaches direct reports to work together to set expectations for achieving shared goals.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Creates and holds direct reports accountable for building an environment that supports feedback and ongoing development.
- Sets and models expectations for required behavior, knowledge, and skill levels.
- Provides ongoing feedback and customized coaching to others.
- Develops others by identifying needs and setting appropriate department, team, and individual goals.
- Conducts talent reviews across the business and develops succession plans for key leadership positions.
- Networks with high potential leaders and coaches others on targeted recruitment efforts.
- Uses available recruiting and hiring tools, brings together hiring teams, and makes hiring decisions.
- Supports successful on‐boarding of new hires.
- Continuously improves department, program, team, and job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place.
- Puts systems and processes in place to manage department and program performance.
- Brings together the appropriate talent levels and mix of skill sets to drive innovation and performance.
- Establishes and ensures understanding of the scope of decision-making authority for team members.
- Models and holds direct reports accountable for using meetings and other forums to regularly communicate.
Communication and Professional Demeanor
- Actively listens and uses appropriate communication styles to deliver information in an articulate, understandable, and engaging way.
- Influences others to accept a point of view, gain consensus, or take action.
- Keeps leaders informed about key issues.
- Models and coaches others on displaying a leadership style that conveys confidence and gains respect from others.
Leading Through Vision and Values
- Models, coaches, and holds others accountable for leading ethically and with a high degree of integrity.
- Promotes a convincing and inspiring vision for the direction of the Company, brand, and team.
- Models and holds departments and project teams accountable for developing and implementing programs that reflect the Company’s core values.
- Presents the need for change in a positive way that encourages commitment and action.
- Encourages others to identify ways to implement desired changes.
- Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
- Models flexibility and adjusts others’ and own priorities when managing multiple demands.
- Manages stakeholder expectations during change.
- Develops strategies and provides resources to implement change.
- Takes steps to minimize the stress others feel when change occurs.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Models and sets expectations for offering suggestions and solving complex problems.
- Uses data from different sources to evaluate alternatives, consider their potential impact, and make decisions.
- Involves key stakeholders to gain agreement and support before making high impact decisions.
- Makes key decisions and guides others to implement solutions in a reasonable amount of time.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of Company, brand, discipline, and program strategies.
- Uses data to thoroughly evaluate opportunities and focuses on those with the greatest potential business impact.
- Adapts global Company and brand strategies into plans that can be implemented within the business to maximize customer/stakeholder satisfaction and profitability.
- Uses data to build program strategies and make the business case for stakeholder commitment.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Uses an understanding of market dynamics and the business environment to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Monitors industry and market changes and adjusts priorities as needed.
- Sets department or team standards and uses key business metrics to evaluate performance.
- Models and coaches others on making business decisions based on data from a variety of sources.
- Evaluates profit and loss statements, develops operating budgets, and conducts forecasting.
- Demonstrates sound business judgment in addressing resource needs and improving efficiencies while balancing associate, customer/stakeholder, and financial results.
- Creates an environment where learning is valued and encouraged.
- Models and sets expectations for others to evaluate own and others’ strengths and developmental needs.
- Secures resources and creates opportunities for self and others to improve performance through stretch assignments and other professional development activities.
- Models and coaches others on staying current on industry and discipline trends and holds others accountable for using relevant best practices.
- Establishes training requirements for the team and holds others accountable for meeting training goals.
- Models and holds others accountable for staying current in area of expertise.
- Shows a strong understanding of the operating principles, resource needs, terminology, and interdependence of all relevant functions to support successful discipline operations.
- Promotes the development of partnerships across teams to solve complex issues and improve performance.
- Ensures compliance with contractual, legal and regulatory requirements.
Building a Successful Team
- Coordinates with other departments and teams and helps clarify the responsibilities of each group.
- Communicates clear expectations about how departments, teams, and individuals contribute to success.
- Considers associates’ strengths and team dynamics when assigning work.
- Coaches and holds others accountable for establishing team‐building strategies and encouraging cooperation.
- Involves team members in making decisions that impact the team.
- Recognizes achievements that support department and team success.
Driving for Results
- Reinforces a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, innovation, and strong business performance.
- Works with others to establish shared and individual goals.
- Monitors department, team, and individual performance.
- Makes sure associates are clear on expectations, timelines, and budget requirements.
- Identifies and focuses on business opportunities that have the highest value for the Company.
- Helps others understand work requirements by explaining why the work is important and by breaking down projects into manageable tasks.
- Analyzes department, team, and individual workload to prioritize tasks and delegate appropriately.
- Identifies and obtains the equipment, materials, personnel, and other resources teams need to accomplish their work.
- Establishes and coaches others on processes for monitoring work quality and project milestones.
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Sales & Marketing
- Starting in
- As soon as possible