The Senior Director, Digital & Social Marketing – Distinctive Brands will play a key role in creating the strategy, establishing key performance indicators, and executing digital marketing and social media initiatives for assigned brands – including Westin, Le Meridian, Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Design Hotels, Tribute, AC Hotels, Aloft, Element and Moxy. The role will be a core member of the Global Marketing Optimization organization and Distinctive brand teams driving strategy and execution for digital and social media marketing programs to deliver against brand and digital goals. In addition to other duties assigned, this role will work with the brand teams to lead the strategy and execution of the comprehensive brand digital eco-system consisting of dedicated brand websites, brand social media channels, Marriott.com, SPG.com, mobile apps and other Marriott digital touch points. This role will need to be an innovator – testing new platforms and boundaries in the digital space – while ensuring that all Digital & Social activities remain strategically aligned with the individual brand goals and deliver expected performance. This role will work with the brand teams to lead the strategy of social media experiences spanning brand and hotel level on key platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and others supporting the brands’ overarching strategies (i.e. brand perception, brand trial, etc). This role will also manage the strategy and execution of digital advertising, in partnership with the Global Paid Media team as part of the Center of Excellence operating model, and identify how best to leverage the appropriate customer journey touch points to maximize impact for assigned brands. This role will report to the Vice President, Digital and Social Marketing and partner closely with key members of the Distinctive brands team, peer Digital & Social brand leaders, global marketing, creative and content studio, digital marketing, public relations, digital agencies, key hotel stakeholders, and the field/continental organizations. The role will manage a team of in-house associates, contractors, and agency resources. This role will also oversee the base budget for the Distinctive digital social admin budget. The ideal leader will have a passion for brands, digital & social and a drive to continually improve while being an active, visible, and enthusiastic leader in both the Brand and Digital Marketing organizations.
Education and Experience
- College degree in Marketing, eCommerce, or related field.
- MBA or advanced degree in eCommerce/Technology management desirable.
- Demonstrated success managing large-scale transactional digital platforms and/or websites required.
- 10 total years work experience (with 5 years Digital experience) strongly desired
- 5 years of managerial experience
- Proven experience with Performance marketing (preferably Digital) and metric optimization approaches
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Demonstrated CRM/Personalization experience
- Demonstrated experience development large new strategies and leading their cross-functional implementation through an organization
- Ability to solve problems quickly, think creatively, and satisfy Internet speed-to-market requirements
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated experience and comfort with digital measurement, tracking methods, and analysis
- Experience with A/B and MVT research methodologies is a plus
- Proven ability to lead and work with cross-functional teams in support of specific business priorities
- Demonstrates self-confidence, energy and enthusiasm
- Effective written and oral communications skills. Sensitivity to global communication needs
- Demonstrated strong presentation, negotiation, and persuasion skills
- Experience leading direct reports and cross functional teams
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects
- Dynamic interpersonal skills including team player that works well with counterparts from various functions/departments and can influence the work of counterparts without direct reporting accountability.
LEADING STRATEGY OF HOLISTIC DIGITAL & SOCIAL INITIATIVES:
- Lead a team of subject matter experts who drive strategy and execution of holistic digital and social initiatives for Marriott’s Premium and Select Distinctive brands – Westin, Le Meridian, Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Design Hotels, Tribute, AC Hotels, Aloft, Element and Moxy
- Be an active, visible, and enthusiastic leader in both the Brand and Digital Marketing organizations
- Responsible for working with brand team to craft strategy and prioritizing, managing, supporting and executing digital marketing strategy initiatives (brand website, social media, paid media, search engine marketing, Marriott.com/SPG.com initiatives, field support) to support assigned brands.
- Innovate in digital and social – test out new platforms, sites, partners and creative to enable brands to continue leadership position as a digital innovator; work with PR to gain press coverage on innovations
- With peer leaders for other brands, lead digital brand ecosystem work and transformation of the holistic digital platform for brands and loyalty.
- Partnering with peer leaders for other brands, M-Live, and Social platforms teams, develop a new operating model for cross brand digital/social platform that balances economies of scale, standards, and brand individuality
- Partner with CX Analytics to create and deploy standardized social measurement models
- Partner with Regional Digital Marketing teams to develop, manage, and grow market specific (e.g. China) digital and social media platforms that effectively and connect with local consumers in a brand appropriate way while ensuring brand voice and priorities are maintained.
- Partner with MLive and enterprise Social Media platforms teams to coordinate in-market presence and pull through enterprise priority messages and initiatives.
- Collaborate with brand leaders, drive digital/social strategy for assigned brand level initiatives while also providing strategic guidance for regional and hotel-level initiatives.
- Manage agency / freelance resources and oversee strategic initiatives related to digital and social strategy for assigned brands.
OVERSEE TACTICAL EXECUTION OF DIGITAL & SOCIAL EFFORTS:
- Direct oversight of brand website strategy, optimizations, and day to day maintenance
- Partner with Digital product teams for brand positioning updates to Marriott.com/SPG.com hotel websites
- Work with agency and internal partners to deliver creative assets such as digital display, video, social media assets, paid search ads, emails, landing pages, website promotional placements
- Lead brand social media content creation, approval of editorial calendar, and influencer programs implemented by agency or in house.
- Guide social media monitoring, advertising, promotions/contests and other activations implemented by agency or in house.
- Lead development of the Social Media Playbook for hotels/field/agencies and lead calls related to this content as required by the brand.
- Manage digital/social marketing budget
- Partner with Measurement and Analytics team on digital dashboard publishing, regularly report out and make optimization recommendations based on performance and learnings to key stakeholders and executive team
CONSULT AND PARTNER WITH STAKEHOLDERS TO DRIVE BENEFICIAL STRATEGIES:
- Partner with brand marketing leads to develop branded content (video series, brand films, etc).
- Liaise with Marriott content studio and M-Live to collaborate on influencer strategies and content creation where relevant.
- Partner with peer leaders to establish measurement and content best practices to scale across all brands.
- Develop strong relationships with subject matter experts and channel leaders, agencies, media and distribution partners to cost-effectively maximize opportunities for the brand while ensuring high-quality on-strategy creative is delivered.
- Monitor and report out on industry best practices and competitive/landscape trends
- Liaise with internal and external PR teams to ensure tight integration and holistic campaigns.
- Work with the hotels, field organization and agency partners to ensure local level social media is implemented and on strategy, ongoing communication will be critical
- Handle additional projects / functions as assigned
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders across the organization. Fosters a positive climate to build effective teams that are committed to organizational goals and initiatives.
- Updates stakeholders on key initiative wins and opportunities, responds to concerns, and solicits feedback. Engages leadership to develop and execute action plans to address gaps.
- Assists direct reports with building and maintaining stakeholder relationships as business partnerships.
- Hires, develops, and retains diverse talent that makes a strong, positive impact on the organization.
- Oversees a team of Marketing leaders and change agents to drive new thinking through the organization and transformation into a performance minded organization that is continually focused on optimizing the business outcomes.
- Creates a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, and innovation.
- Sets clear organizational goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds team accountable for performance.
- Continuously improves team and job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place.
- Builds teams with the appropriate mix of talent and skills to drive innovation and performance. Identifies talents of direct reports, and assists with their growth and development plans.
- Supports individual team and department-wide efforts to improve organizational culture and work environment within the department as reflected in annual associate survey results and informal feedback forums.
- Facilitates regular, ongoing communication in department.
- Frequently develop and deliver updates to all levels of Executives through in-person presentations, conference calls, and written communications.
- Present strategy and optimization updates and results at key internal/external updates including: Continent forums, Executive updates, Owner/Franchisee meetings, etc.
- Represent Marriott as an industry expert through presentations at internal and external conferences.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes digital marketing knowledge to conduct and manage everyday digital and social strategies and generate innovative solutions to approach business challenges. Critical skills include:
- Knowledge of site development lifecycle and agile product development methods
- Analytically inclined and passion for demonstrating value and ROI through quantifying performance vs. investment
- Expertise with testing culture – including A/B and Multi-variate testing
- Attention to detail and “eye” for effective design
- Working knowledge of digital and social marketing tactics
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Sales & Marketing
- Starting in
- As soon as possible