The Financial Contract Compliance (FCC) department works with various stakeholders (corporate departments, continent leadership and regional teams, property management, legal) to ensure financial contractual responsibilities are executed and financial results are recorded in compliance with US GAAP. The organization supports corporate processes in partnership with the continent organizations worldwide across all brands, as well as the respective Finance Business Partners, Global Finance Centers of Expertise, and Accenture Hospitality Services (AHS).
As a member of the FCC Program Services Fund (PSF) team, the Senior Manager is responsible for the accurate and timely accounting, forecasting and analysis of Marriott’s (MI) revenues. This position is responsible for all aspects of hotel contribution calculations and validation in accordance with contractual agreements, US GAAP, and MI accounting policies. The Senior Manager is responsible for ensuring the proper recognition and projection of MI revenues in collaboration with Regional Offices and/or AHS. The Senior Manager will collaborate with other Global Finance Centers of Expertise and Finance Business Partners to accomplish business objectives. In addition, this position will focus on process improvements and will represent FCC on projects and initiatives that require accounting and finance leadership and expertise.
Accounting and Analytics:
- Manage and execute MI’s monthly close process to ensure results are calculated and reflected accurately for MI’s revenues in accordance with contracts and US GAAP. Provide supervision and direction to staff during the month close processes, such as analyzing revenue results and researching variances to understand underlying business drivers.
- Manage and execute all monthly and annual revenue planning activities to ensure revenue projections accurately reflect MI’s forecasted revenue. Support the preparation of revenue scenario analyses for the long-range plan, business plan, budget, and monthly forecast cycles.
- Analyze and prepare executive-level reports on significant revenue fluctuations during close and forecast cycles.
- Lead the development, implementation and maintenance of standard processes to ensure accurate and timely recognition and projection of MI’s revenues in a dynamic multi-currency, multi-entity environment.
- Research and document unique accounting treatment, coordinating with Global Finance Centers of Expertise, Finance Business Partners and regional points of contact.
- Coordinate tracking and reconciliation of identified provisions to sustain compliance with contracts and accounting policies.Manage review of balance sheet account reconciliations, ensure balances are accurate and reconciliations contain proper support. Partner with AHS and direct staff to ensure completeness and accuracy of account reconciliations.
- Serve as a lead point of contact for audit related requests and questions.
Governance and Global Partnerships:
- Review contractual agreements to understand revenue recognition requirements, including standard and complex deal arrangements.
- Develop knowledge and expertise in revenue reporting requirements for properties within the growing MI portfolio.
- Ensure compliance with executed agreements on an individual property and/or pooled basis.
- Partner with Continent Finance, Legal, and Owner Relations teams on specific aspects of property-level agreements including, contract interpretation, unique provisions, cash waterfalls, revenue recognition, and deferrals.
- Establish strong working relationships with the various corporate disciplines and regional offices.
- Focus on providing excellent customer service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure calculations in financial applications are in accordance with key contractual provisions to facilitate accurate revenue recognition and analysis, focusing on enhanced reporting and process improvement.
- Participate in and support Global Finance initiatives, including the implementation of an automated contract engine.
- Assist in identifying system enhancements to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of close and forecast cycles.
- Prioritize issue resolution and focus on innovation and continuous process improvement.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required to meet business objectives.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant finance/accounting experience
- Prior supervisory experience preferred
- Strong understanding of accounting processes and systems
- Experience in lodging/hospitality industry and contracts/legal agreements strongly preferred
- B.S. Degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline preferred
- CPA or advanced degree preferred
- Strong financial acumen with proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong technical accounting skills; understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and related controls
- Ability to effectively resolve issues and to initiate, design, implement and document required business processes
- Experience in understanding complex contract provisions, evaluating risks, and resolving financial issues
- Strong organization and managerial skills; ability to multi-task, support/initiate continuous process improvement, and lead/drive transformative process and system changes
- Ability to motivate others and enhance the organization’s capabilities through effective resource management
- High degree of initiative; highly motivated self-starter.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a “win-win” negotiating style
- Fosters relationships and a positive work environment to build effective teams committed to organizational initiatives
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy while maintaining the “big” picture at the same time
- Ability to influence others and function effectively in a collaborative work environment with leadership, peers and direct reports
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications; advanced Excel skills a strong plus.
- Previous PeopleSoft and/or SmartView experience preferred.
- Job type
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- Duration of the contract