The Senior Manager of Joint Venture Accounting is responsible for managing all aspects of accounting and analysis for Marriott’s joint ventures (“JVs”). The position is responsible for overseeing the analysis of internally and externally (JV partner) generated financial information and managing the production of periodic and ad-hoc reports required by various internal and external stakeholders to effectively manage the business and meet reporting obligations. Central roles of this position include managing a team through the monthly close, budgeting, forecasting, and reporting processes, ensuring that robust documentation is maintained for each joint venture, including significant accounting positions and U.S. GAAP adjustments, and providing leadership to others throughout the organization on joint venture technical accounting matters. The Senior Manager must develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with departments and individuals throughout Marriott, as well as with joint venture partner finance and accounting teams. This highly visible position reports to the Senior Director, Joint Venture Accounting, and is a key member of the Corporate Financial Accounting (“CFA”) management team.
- Manage the JV-related reporting processes that provide accurate and decision-useful information to a variety of stakeholders including Business Partners, Continent finance teams, Asset Managers, Financial Reporting and Analysis, Accounting Policy, auditors, and investor relations.
- Maintain relationships with JV partner finance staffs to allow the efficient exchange of information and resolution of accounting matters.
- Oversee the analysis of JV results, footnote disclosures, impairment analyses, long range plan, budgets, forecasts, and audit-related PBCs.
- Identify opportunities and assist in the development of improvements to the JV reporting process that enhance efficiency.
- Ensure that the Marriott’s interests in JVs are properly accounted for and reported by Marriott, including converting local GAAP to US GAAP for international ventures.
- Develop and maintain processes to ensure that reporting obligations to partners, lenders, regulatory authorities, and other key stakeholders are met in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manage the research and collaboration with others (including the CFA Senior Director of JV Accounting, JV partners, Accounting Policy, Asset Managers, FR&A, Tax, and auditors), regarding technical GAAP questions, significant transactions, property-level debt refinancings, distributions, impairments, reporting considerations, and capital calls.
- Oversee the management of a data repository for each joint venture that includes all legal and other documents pertaining to the Joint Venture such as the partnership agreement and audited financial statements for each fiscal year.
- Manage the accounting and analysis regarding minority interests in Marriott’s consolidated subsidiaries.
- Ensure proper controls are in place to effectively manage compliance with Marriott’s account reconciliations policy for the joint venture portfolio.
- Manage internal processes in support of non-recurring transactions such as purchases or dispositions of equity interests.
- Partner with the Senior Director to manage the groups workflow, including prioritizing projects and workloads, establishing timelines, developing skills, and mentoring.
- Partner with multiple Marriott departments (Accounting Policy, Finance Business Partners, Asset Managers, Legal) to ensure joint venture agreements include required provisions to allow the accumulation and reporting by Marriott of necessary financial information from JV partners.
- Perform ad-hoc analyses for and/or provide information to and advise, as appropriate, other Global Finance groups and key stakeholders.
- Participate in project work that requires Joint Venture knowledge; lead and/or support efforts to compile, model, analyze and interpret data as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Six or more years of progressive accounting experience, job experience related to joint venture accounting/ international accounting/real estate a plus.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in a management role.
- Prior experience managing a team in a complex, service-intensive, deadline-driven environment a plus.
- Experience in a large public accounting firm strongly preferred.
Education or Certification
- Baccalaureate degree in accounting, finance, or a related discipline required; CPA required.
- Strong knowledge of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles and in particular, rules relating to joint venture accounting.
- Experience with accounting in a multi-currency environment under multiple bases of accounting.
- Strong business process and documentation skills; capable of developing effective processes, enhancing existing processes, and producing high quality results.
- Proven manager with ability to provide counsel and lead a team toward the accomplishment of organizational goals and objectives and promote a positive working environment, including promoting the development of team members. Motivator; inspires extraordinary performance in others.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative work environment. Ability to concisely articulate issues to a variety of individuals at multiple levels within Marriott, as well as with JV partner finance teams.
- Ability to make decisions in a timely manner and under pressure. Comfort with challenging the status quo to improve effectiveness.
- At ease in an environment of change; supports, manages, and initiates change within the organization.
- Ability to sell ideas persuasively, settling differences without damaging relationships; able to be direct while remaining diplomatic.
- Analytical; makes decisions using data; able to analyze and understand complex legal documents.
- Excellent PC skills: advance knowledge of MS Excel.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills; able to take complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner.
- Effective problem-solving abilities; recognizes and researches problems and identifies their underlying causes and recommends and implements solutions.
- Excellent organizational skills; effective in planning, prioritizing and managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Exceptional communication skills; communicates effectively both orally and in writing; listens to others and effectively comprehends information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to build and maintain key relationships; able to influence others; team player.
- Able to work in a matrix organization, partnering with resources to achieve business results through others.
- Active learner; applies past experiences to identify alternative solutions for current problems, able to understand and adjust to changing priorities, circumstances, direction, and personal styles.
- Customer service orientation with the ability to achieve and maintain customer satisfaction.
- Able to establish credibility necessary to influence and drive ideas.