Internal Communications, a function of Global Communications & Public Affairs (GCPA), is charged with enterprise wide internal communications for Marriott International, including amplification of Marriott’s corporate storytelling through an agile and integrated platform that includes social and digital distribution channels. The internal communications team is responsible for the strategy, creation and overall management and delivery of a portfolio of enterprise-wide communications programs and channels that is designed to educate, engage and excite Marriott associates globally while also continuing to advance the Company’s culture and values.
The Program Specialist, Internal Communications is responsible for supporting the development and distribution of internal communication channels (e.g., Headline News, MI Pulse, HQ Digital Boards, Marriott Global Source (MGS) Home Page, Heart of House). Additionally, this position will help to manage key associate engagement activations as well as communications programs, ensuring they accurately and consistently convey the company’s key messages and goals. This role is responsible for managing correspondence received through Marriott’s communications and public executive mailboxes. In addition, this role manages the collection of key data throughout the year (e.g., awards received by the company, innovation efforts, etc.) as well as the overall corporate calendar.
This position reports to the Senior Director, Internal Communications.Expected Contributions
- Provides general support to Senior Director, Internal Communications by managing tasks and projects when assigned, whether taking singular items and quickly executing or broad concepts and translating into detailed project plans that are executed step by step in order to deliver desired and successful outcomes:
- Task – a discrete piece of work that requires completing a single step to achieve a tactical objective
- Project – a multidimensional piece of work that requires planning and completing several interdependent and integrated steps to achieve a strategic objective
- Work with a sense of urgency and bias for action – never settling for a state of waiting, but rather creating and embodying an expectation for constant forward progress
- Proactively tackle all work – approach daily responsibilities with a process that repeatedly questions what can and should be done next to help the team
- Anticipate the needs of the Senior Director, and other team members, and work to address those needs
- ‘Manage-up’ – consistently and constantly follow up with team members (including the Senior Director) to be sure they are working toward completing their objectives in line with stated goals
- Seek team feedback to identify opportunities for improvement in day to day processes, then work to improve those processes in accordance with the feedback
- Provide support to GCPA and cross-functional department teams to manage key associate engagement activations, including managing the internal communications and marketing plans as well as end-to-end activation support (e.g., planning, scheduling, setup, on-site support, close-out). This role should also proactively identify potential new activations.
- On-site support for key communications programs (e.g., Global Communicators Summit, Senior Leadership Forums, Worldwide Business Forums, General Managers' Conferences, etc.).
- Support the development and distribution of content for internal communications programs and channels; attend Editorial Board meetings for these channels and support related work.
- Monitor and respond to emails received in the team’s group mailboxes, daily. Research responses with other departments, as appropriate.
- Support Manager, Content Strategy and Internal Communications and Manager, Social Media, as needed.
Requirements for Position
Candidates should possess knowledge and experience as well as demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
- Minimum of two (2) years practical communications or news-writing experience, with demonstrated ability in multiple digital channels. Travel, hospitality, newsroom, or luxury-goods background preferred.
- Good writing, editing, and proof-reading skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of the digital/social landscape.
- Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work with all levels of the company.
- Detail oriented and strong time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Creative Cloud, and other relevant software (e.g., web publishing, content management).
Education: Bachelor's degree required.
- Job type
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Administration & General
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- Duration of the contract