This Software Engineer will enable and create solutions using advanced computational techniques for business solutions to data-intensive problems in the hospitality industry. This rewarding position provides a career on a team of mathematical modelers that makes a direct revenue impact on Marriott hotels, globally, by creating tools that facilitate data-driven decision making in the disciplines of pricing, revenue management, sales and reservations. This software engineer will be part of a team that supports computationally-intensive data analysis and modeling efforts, provides analytics and technical expertise; performs undirected research on large volumes of data to reach business conclusions and recommendations; contributes complex programming and analysis in revenue management and sales systems; analyzes data and builds innovative models to deliver business solutions; functions as a subject matter expert in all phases of the project lifecycle – inception, prototyping, design, testing, rollout and support. The Operations Research team seeks a flexible candidate with an interest in software development and a willingness to learn that brings unique perspectives to enable creative data-driven solutions to the challenges at Marriott.
Education and Experience
- Graduate degree in a rigorous quantitative, technical or scientific subject, including Computer Science / Engineering, Data Science / Engineering, Mathematics, Operations Research, Statistics or Engineering
- 1-2 years’ industry or research experience; applying analytical and programming skills against data-intensive and complex modeling or systems development
- 3 years’ experience in software development, with extensive knowledge and experience in one of the following languages: Spark, Scala, Python (pandas / Numpy / SciPy), Java or C/C++, SQL at an advanced level with an understanding of complexity theory
- Software engineering skills (e.g. distributed computing, object-oriented development, data cleansing, algorithms and data structures)
- Experience working with data platforms, either structured (Oracle/DB2/Postgres) and unstructured (Couchbase/Cassandra/MongoDB/redis)
- Experience with designing or supporting analytical systems, focusing on model quality and code efficiency
- An inherent curiosity in researching and developing solutions to complex and often open-ended business problems with an interest in continually learning new techniques and technologies to solve modeling challenges
- Ability to work within a team with strong communication skills, including an ability to explain and present technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience performing predictive modeling, forecasting, or statistical analysis on large scale datasets.
- Experience with Big Data platforms (i.e. Hadoop)
- Experience with Machine learning tools and techniques (e.g. k-nearest neighbors, random forests, ensemble methods, etc.)
- Experience in developing analytic driven solutions to business problems
- Understands complex, discrete data sets with subtle underlying biases
- SAS programming (including SAS/HPF, SAS/ETS, and macros).
- Readiness to debug existing codes to identify source of reported application issues
- Trains and/or mentors other team members, and peers as appropriate
- Provides leadership on solution structure, tasks, timeline and estimates for revenue management deliverables
- Partners with planning teams to articulate possible solutions to business problems and to develop requirements for new models
- Formulates methods for measuring the effectiveness of pricing and revenue management activities.
- Prepares detailed specifications for translation of complex business processes into models and prototypes
- Develops and implements efficient, scalable algorithms using appropriate technologies/software/architectures
- Writes software and utility software tools to create and test new models
- Assists the Application Delivery teams in support of operations
- Assists the Application Delivery team in the maintenance of existing models
- Provides work/cost estimates for client requests
- Prepares documentation for client review.
- Conducts reviews, discusses findings, risks and challenges and establishes courses of action
- Follows all defined IT standards and processes and provides input for improvements to the appropriate process owners as needed
- Maintains a proper balance between business and operational risk
- Follows the defined project management standards and processes
To the extent that this role interacts with service providers:
- Validates that Service Providers develop and manage respective aspects of a project plan, including schedules, deliverables, and appropriate metrics.
- Makes short term plans for the team to effectively utilize resources
- Monitors Service Provider outcomes
- Reviews estimates of work effort for client project provided by Service Providers for accuracy
- Facilitates timely resolution of service delivery problems and minimizes the impact to clients
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
- Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible