The Senior Systems Engineer will support solution development, design, engineering, integration, operation, and escalation support of network services. The position will work with architecture, engineering, security, operational, and application experts to develop, implement and maintain services, monitoring, reporting, tuning and new automation functionalities. The role will provide architecture & engineering support and request fulfillment associated with Marriott’s network infrastructure. Provides analysis, design, engineering and implementation of Marriott WAN network infrastructure. They support Network architecture design to meet current IP services and solutions and future business requirements. They guide Service Providers on modifying and maintaining current WAN Architecture & Engineering. The position troubleshoots network issues, completes project requests, oversees lifecycle management, capacity, health and performance management, continuous service improvement, business and technical analyses, and reporting. They support Marriott’s WAN services and infrastructure in a SDN, SDDC and hybrid cloud environment and work with Marriott’s technology providers and other engineering, application, and operations teams.
- 7+ years’ experience in the implementation of network infrastructure and engineering solutions
- 5+ years’ experience with implementing highly available Wide Area Networks (T-1, MPLS, VPN Tunnels) and/or Local Area Network Handoffs (Switch Fabric, Ethernet, Copper, Fiber)
- 3+ years of experience in Network Management Tools such as NetQos, AppNeta, SolarWinds, NetMRI, InfoBlox IPAM, and/or NetScout InfiniStream.
- 3+ years of experience with troubleshooting tools including Wireshark, Netflow, tcpdump, and/or NetScout.
- 5+ years Routing knowledge of IP, ICMP, TCP/UDP, SNMP, DHCP, EIGRP, BGP, QoS, VLAN, VoIP, SIP and/or Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE).
- 3+ years’ experience with wireless deployment, specifically wireless controller and lightweight access points.
- Undergraduate degree in an engineering or computer science discipline and/or equivalent experience/certification
- 5+ years’ experience supporting highly available complex networks at an enterprise scale
- 2+ years’ experience with public cloud providers (AWS & Azure) in an environment that utilize cloud PaaS, IaaS, and SaaS
- 2+ years’ experience with DNS deployment and infrastructure design
- One or more current technical certifications from Cisco, VMWare, Checkpoint, and F5
- 5+ year experience on designing and deployment of multi Data Center WAN networks, DMZ, Distribution and Core network architectures, firewalls, routers, switches, and layer 2 and 3 protocols switches, and layer 2 and 3 protocols
- 2+ years of designing and engineering in-house data center, hybrid data center and cloud architectures.2+ years’ experience working in the services sourcing and/or ITO field is highly desirable.
- 3+ years knowledge of DNS (BIND, IPControl, Infoblox or similar)
- 3+ years’ experience designing and implementing emerging tools, software, applications, or systems
- Ability to work during non-business hours as needed and on-call rotations
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Provide oversight, management and maintenance of technology products and service alternatives that improve Marriott’s DMZ Network
- Work in a concerted effort with operational, application development and engineering teams to resolve complex issues
- Work closely with department leadership and service providers to support alignment of plans with solution delivery
- Create and enhance administrative, operational and technical policies and procedures, adopting best practice guidelines, standards and procedures for employees, contractors and vendor engagements
- Management of daily infrastructure operations to ensure availability SLA is met for network services
- Provide input into infrastructure lifecycle, improvement and standardization strategies
- Quantitative and qualitative analyses for operational availability to promote a zero-defect environment
- Lead/assist operational teams in network device updates & upgrades
- Provide on-going maintenance including updates and patches to Marriott’s network infrastructure
- Provide consultation for routine and complex network development
- Responsible for the establishment and continuous development of monitoring and alerting for all production environments
- Ensure early warning to the business stakeholder executives regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Coordinate with Plan and Build teams for deployment and production support activities
- Facilitate achievement of expected deliverables and obligations of Services with WAN Providers
- Provides subject matter expertise in their area of work.
- Provides and presents status, analysis and reporting to internal stakeholders, Executive Management and Senior Leadership
- Participate in the evaluation and selection of network products
- Participate in application and system performance analysis and tuning, service capacity planning and forecasting
- Develop and generate periodic utilization reports to provide visibility to performance, capacity, availability, OLA and SLA management
- Identify opportunities to enhance the service delivery, operations and continual service improvement processes
- Drive the objectives associated with Problem Management; such as customer communication and Root Cause Analysis reports
- L3 analysis of reported outage events to determine potential impact on Marriott infrastructure
- Respond to and resolve emergent service problems; build tools and automation to prevent problem recurrence
- Train and/or mentor other team members, and peers as appropriate in advances in technology and technical process improvement
- Assist Level-1 & Level-2 internal/external personnel performing triage, diagnosis, resolution or escalation associated with Marriott’s network Infrastructure
- Participate in and suggests improvements to standards configuration, change management processes and practices
- Validate that Service Providers meet objectives for project schedules, deliverables, and operational metrics
- Review and validate service provider implementation plan for changes and outcomes
- Review estimates of work effort for client project provided by Service Providers for accuracy
- Facilitate timely resolution of service delivery problems and minimizes the impact on clients
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops technical operational plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of technical operational plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Successful Team Contributor - Uses an effective interpersonal style to be part of a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by making firsthand contributions to its mission and importance.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of technical operational plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and demonstrates them for others by assuming responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self-and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively acts and goes beyond what is minimally required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains peer relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the Marriott’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and service providers by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
- Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
- Business Acumen – Basic understanding and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way, that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Bethesda, MD, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible