W Sydney, 31 Wheat Road, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia VIEW ON MAP Schedule
Explore an exciting new career path at W Hotels where your natural talent is celebrated. W Hotel’s work culture is uniquely designed to spark your imagination and curiosity while bringing the W experience to life for guests.
W Sydney, opening on Darling Harbour’s waterfront in October 2023, is now casting for a vibrant and passionate Director of Catering & Events, responsible for the management of all meetings, incentives, events (including social & weddings), conventions and exhibitions. From initial client enquiry to completion of event, to reach maximum profitability and client satisfaction and ensure the Catering and Events team work to reach department and hotel goals, in line with W Hotels and Marriott International’s brand standards, with support from the Director of Sales & Marketing (DOSM). This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join W Sydney’s pre-opening team to set up catering and event management systems, processes, and team
The successful candidate will demonstrate a proven track record of experience across the Catering and MICE markets, possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and high attention to detail.LIFE WITH THE WORKS
We believe in the power of people. They are both our foundation and our inspiration. As we look forward to the future, we are committed to investing in our talent through holistic well-being, personal growth and career opportunities. This isn’t work with a side of life. This is – Life. With the Works.BENEFITS
Private Health Insurance
Flexible WorkingCORE RESPONSIBILITIES Primary responsibilities for the Director of Catering & Events include:
TALENT PROFILE Education & Experience Required
- Represent the brand in all catering, and event sales activities in line with W Hotels and Marriott International’s corporate strategies with support from the DOSM.
- Responsible for the day-to-day leadership, supervision and management of catering and event sales and event planning associates working in the department supported by the DOSM.
- Oversee the co-ordination of the Event Diary.
- In conjunction with the DOSM, develop and implement an events marketing plan with strategies to meet and exceed revenue goals in line with the budget.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual Budget and Business Plan as required.
- With DOSM, Director of Revenue Management and Director of Beverage & Food, set, implement, and manage catering and event room selling guidelines and pricing.
- Possess thorough knowledge of W Sydney, the property, spaces, capacity, concept/food style (menus).
- Prepare by market segment comments, future actions and results for Owner’s and General Manager reports as required.
- Develop, implement, and manage yield management strategies to maximise revenues per available space.
- Handle incoming target revenue potential leads and enquiries from all channels, including but not limited to telephone, email, website, Cvent and other third-party RFP sites for both residential (guestrooms attached to the event booking) and non-residential events (leads with nine or less guestrooms attached to the event booking) for the hotel’s event spaces and partial or total exclusive use bookings of the hotel’s beverage and food venues.
- Lead memorable and tailor-made Insider Tours and Client Entertainment (including when required, menu tastings) to ensure prospect leads are converted to definite and in accordance with hotel policies (this may involve time outside of normal business working hours and familiarisation weekends).
- Respond and acknowledge all incoming enquiries within a two-hour response time and send a formal proposal within 24 hours.
- For all leads, ensure that complete and accurate booking and contact information is recorded in CI/TY along with records of all client communications and correspondence, including source code and market segment information, according to CI/TY Audit standards.
- Actively promote Marriott Bonvoy and affiliated offers during the proposal process.
- Conduct sales calls to qualify and prospect for new business in line with weekly KPI targets.
- Conduct post-event follow up calls to prospect for repeat bookings.
- For telephone enquiries, maintain call handling etiquette, language, and quality to match or exceed the Quality Track mystery call program standard.
- Prepare and issue catering and event contracts on a timely basis and to agreed standards, along with deposit requests and ensure that contracts and any required deposits are returned by the agreed option dates.
- Lead upselling across the Catering & Events team to maximise revenue streams for the hotel.
- Attend and represent W Sydney at appropriate industry networking events.
- Responsible for completing and communicating monthly sales/revenue/pace results to DOSM, GM, Director of B&F and Director of Revenue Management.
- Participate as required in weekly BEO Meetings for key internal stakeholders.
- Review all daily beverage & food and conference charges posted to relevant accounts during each event, to ensure that all charges are in line with event orders. Ensure correct figures are reflected in CI/TY actuals.
- Monitor group billing accounts for accuracy and co-ordinate with the Credit Manager for delayed payments.
- Ensure accurate forecasting to assist with hotel people power planning.
- Work closely with Catering & Events Operation Manager and AV Company to ensure all aspects of the event are executed as per the Banquet Event Orders.
- Attend Outlet Manager Meetings as required by Director of B&F.
- Ensure smooth flow of information (communication) from Sales to Planning and Banquet Services and the Food & Beverage Department.
- Work with Executive Chef and Director of B&F to create and maintain banquet menus.
- Work with DOSM and Marcom Manager on required marketing collateral.
- Actively participate in Sales & Marketing and Revenue team meetings
- Conduct development and performance reviews with direct team reports, identifying key personnel for further development and structured career pathing
- Develop, implement, and maintain a training plan to ensure a high-quality presentation and level of customer service within the team. From time of induction manage ongoing on-the-job training to ensure associates have the necessary skills to perform their job efficiently and effectively
- Be fully versed across all relevant Marriott International loyalty programs to maximise business opportunities for W Sydney.
- Responsible for effective recruitment, training and development certification, performance evaluation, turnover reduction, and optimisation of productivity
- Work closely with the Director of Sales to develop and implement strategies to maximise MICE business in conjunction with DOSM.
- Tour the hotel’s event spaces and conduct spot checks of meeting room setups. Feedback to be presented to Director of B&F and DOSM.
- Be an early adopter and champion for innovation, as the W brand has been since inception, to deliver and exceed budgeted revenues for the hotel, channel engagement and enhanced guest experience
- Support the Director of B&F and Marcom Manager through attendance of, and promotion to, clients of B&F marketing calender events/promotions for the year to ultimately exceed budgeted B&F revenue and position the Hotel’s three venues.
- Ensure the annual Sales Team plan is strategic and measurable and can be adjusted along with the business needs.
- Participate in the Hotel Manager on Duty program.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
- Higher Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Business Management and/or Hotel/Tourism Management
- Minimum five years’ experience in an event/sales environment within an International Hotel Chain; 5-star/Lifestyle hotel experience preferred.
- Must demonstrate a proven track record of experience across the Catering and MICE markets and Event Management, possess excellent verbal and written communication and Microsoft Office skills and have a high attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong time management, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Experience in leadership, management and coaching of talent.