Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP Schedule
Marriott International, Inc., based in Bethesda, Maryland, operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties globally. Marriott’s Law Department services the Company’s lodging and hospitality business and provides legal advice and counsel to Marriott’s internal clients.
The Franchise Transactions team is responsible for representing Marriott in meeting its growth objectives and is also responsible for providing owner relations and day-to-day operations legal support for the 5,000+ open Marriott franchised hotels in the United States and Canada. The team works with various Marriott corporate departments and disciplines, and helps Marriott achieve its business objectives by negotiating and drafting contracts with owners, operators, and lenders for each franchised hotel in the United States and Canada. The Franchise Transactions team is also responsible for leading the preparation and filing of the annual franchise disclosure documents for each of Marriott’s franchised brands, which are required for the offering of franchises for sale in the United States and Canada.
This paralegal position is part of the larger Corporate Transactions and North American Hotel Development practice group of the Law Department and will report to the franchise transactions attorney responsible for leading Marriott’s franchise regulatory practice. The paralegal will help lead, in collaboration with the attorney responsible for the regulatory practice, Marriott’s franchise disclosure document (FDD) process by being responsible for drafting and updating Marriott’s FDDs for use in the United States and Canada, and filing and maintaining franchise registration and exemption applications with various governmental authorities. This position, together with the attorney, will be responsible for the overall project, project tasks, and timeline for the FDD process. The senior paralegal will also assist other attorneys and paralegals in the Franchise Group separate from the FDD process as the need arises.Specific Job Summary
The primary responsibilities of this position will be:
Candidate Profile Required:
- Together with the attorney responsible for the regulatory filings, manage the annual FDD update and process, which includes developing a project plan, task and responsibilities list, and timeline for the project.
- This role will also prepare, update, and maintain Marriott’s FDDs and related documents for use in the United States, Canada and other jurisdictions in collaboration with the regulatory attorney and in partnership with internal Marriott personnel.
- Outline requirements and manage the collection of information necessary to update and prepare FDDs and collateral documents for submission to government authorities annually and as required. Update the documents accordingly.
- Lead the filing of franchise registration/exemption applications with various regulatory authorities in the United States and abroad.
- Manage timeline and track due dates in order to prepare and regularly update franchise seller disclosure forms and other ancillary materials that must be filed with regulatory authorities in connection with the offer and sale of franchises.
- Undertake special assignments relating to franchise disclosure and regulatory compliance matters, including research, review, and analysis of contract documentation and other issues.
- Prepare drafts of franchise documents (including franchise agreements, guaranties, comfort letters, amendments, and other agreements), primarily utilizing forms and standardized provisions; prepare drafts of negotiated changes to agreements.
- Review and screen information, comments, and questions received from franchisees and their counsel, and prepare initial draft responses for attorney review.
- Facilitate full execution of documents by franchisees and ensure executed originals are returned and filed appropriately.
- Undertake special assignments, including research, review, and analysis of contract documentation and other issues.
- Maintain and update enterprise legal management database for up-to-date tracking of the status of franchise documents.
- Respond as necessary to miscellaneous franchise development and operational issues.
- Two year college degree and
- Minimum relevant work experience of ten years.
- Four year college degree and
- Minimum relevant work experience of six years.
- At least twenty years of relevant work experience as a paralegal
Has substantive subject matter paralegal experience; Paralegal Certificate preferred but not required.
Experience managing and/or supporting disclosures and regulatory filings strongly preferred
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and skills as follows:
- Strong project management skills, and ability to meet simultaneous deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to interact and communicate effectively;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Excellent judgment and use of discretion;
- Superior attention to detail;
- Diligence, dependability, and strong work ethic;
- Ability to remain calm in high stress situations, demonstrate “grace under pressure,” and lead by example;
- Ability to adapt to changing work demands;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Teams;
- Familiarity with database functionality and operation;
- Availability for minimal travel; and
- Flexibility for overtime.
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved. Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?