Posting Date Sep 09, 2021
Job Number 21101224
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location The Westin Kansas City at Crown Center, 1 E Pershing Rd, Kansas City, Missouri, United States VIEW ON MAP
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
At Westin, we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by providing a refreshing environment, thoughtful amenities, and revitalizing programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests’ well-being, and we’re energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help guests be at their best, and they appreciate our supportive attitude, anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If you’re someone who has is positive, adaptable and intuitive, and has a genuine interest in the well-being of others around you, we invite you to discover how at Westin, together we can rise.
Accountable for the quality, consistency and production of the specialty restaurant kitchen. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Coordinates menus, purchasing, staffing and food preparation for the property's specialty restaurant. Works with team to improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved. Develops and trains team to improve results.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Setting and Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met for Specialty Restaurant
• Develops, designs, or creates new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions for specialty restaurant.
• Supervises specialty restaurant kitchen shift operations and ensures compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
• Maintains food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
• Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
• Plans and manages food quantities and plating requirements for the specialty restaurant.
• Communications production needs to key personnel.
• Assists in developing daily and seasonal menu items for the specialty restaurant.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Estimates daily specialty restaurant production needs.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
• Determines how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Leading Kitchen Team
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Leads shift teams while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
• Supervises and manages specialty restaurant kitchen employees. Managing all day-to-day operations. Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Ensuring and maintaining the productivity level of employees.
• Ensures employees are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
• Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
Establishing and Maintaining Specialty Restaurant Kitchen Goals
• Sets and supports achievement of kitchen goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Developing specific guidance and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish daily kitchen operations work.
• Understands the impact of kitchen operation on the overall property financial goals and objectives and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Effectively investigates, reports and follows-up on employee accidents.
• Knows and implements company safety standards.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Handles guest problems and complaints.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Participates in training specialty restaurant staff on menu items including ingredients, preparation methods and unique tastes.
• Manages employee progressive discipline procedures.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, providing feedback as needed.
• Uses all available on the job training tools for employees.
• Assists as needed in the interviewing and hiring of employee team members with appropriate skills.
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Other suggested jobs
USEH International Inc
The St. Regis Washington D.C.