Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP Schedule
Marriott International, Inc., based in Bethesda, Maryland, operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties globally. Marriott’s Law Department services the Company’s lodging and hospitality business and provides legal advice and counsel to Marriott’s internal clients.
The Franchise Transactions team is responsible for representing Marriott in meeting its growth objectives and is also responsible for providing owner relations and day-to-day operations legal support for the 5,000+ open Marriott franchised hotels in the United States and Canada. The team works with various Marriott corporate departments and disciplines, and helps Marriott achieve its business objectives by negotiating and drafting contracts with owners, operators, and lenders for each franchised hotel in the United States and Canada. The Franchise Transactions team is also responsible for leading the preparation and filing of the annual franchise disclosure documents for each of Marriott’s franchised brands, which are required for the offering of franchises for sale in the United States and Canada.
The work of the attorneys on the team principally takes the form of providing commercial transactional support (such as negotiating, drafting, and interpreting franchise agreements, comfort letters, terminations, renewals, relicensings, and assignments) and providing legal guidance on a variety of matters.
The Vice President & Corporate Counsel attorney will report to a Vice President & Senior Counsel & Team Leader who reports into the Vice President & Assistant General Counsel leading the Franchise Transactions legal team. This team is part of the larger Corporate Transactions and North American Hotel Development practice group of the Law Department. Expected Contributions
The VP & Corporate Counsel attorney in this position will focus primarily on representing Marriott with respect to its franchised hotel portfolio in the United States and Canada by providing franchise transactional legal assistance, including:
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating franchise agreements, tri-party lender agreements (comfort letters), guaranties, and other contracts related to Marriott’s franchised hotels;
- Providing advice and assuring compliance with franchise regulatory requirements (including preparation of franchise disclosure documents), franchise relationship laws, and other relevant laws;
- Providing day-to-day legal advice and training to various areas within Marriott regarding legal issues related to Marriott’s franchise system; and
- Providing support and assistance for specific projects, such as acquisitions and multi-unit deals as part of a broader team.
Successful candidates should possess the experience, knowledge, and skills as follows:
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
- Excellent academic record with a law degree preferably from a top law school – active Bar membership;
- Minimum of 5 years legal experience, preferably franchise regulatory experience and/or transactional experience;
- Proven contract drafting and negotiating skills;
- Ability to expeditiously identify and analyze issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
- Ability to work under stressful conditions with owners, lenders, and internal stakeholders;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with individuals at all levels;
- Ability to foster relationships and individual accountability across the organization;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent conflict management skills, and ability to influence without coercion;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and to facilitate the implementation of creative solutions;
- Ability to work independently, take ownership of, and effectively resolve problems; and
- Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason.
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?