Cuisine is a vital part of the overall Miraval guest experience and is a cornerstone of our brand’s identity. At Miraval, we are famous for “mindful” cuisine that can truly change the way people feel. We teach our guests that a healthy diet can also be delicious and satisfying. We emphasize choice, variety and balance by focusing on quality seasonal ingredients that are sourced locally and are prepared in a simple yet flavorful manner.
We seek a skilled and dynamic Executive Chef, preferably with a background in nutrition and specialization in spa cuisine. We seek a charismatic leader who can further refine, enhance, expand and promote our company’s nutritional philosophies while taking culinary operations at Miraval Resort in Tucson to new levels of excellence.
The Executive Chef will report directly to the Director in their daily responsibilities and will sit on the resort’s Directors Committee. He or she will also have a dotted line to the Vice President of Branding and will serve as an internal consultant for corporate projects outside of Tucson. The Executive Chef will be recognized as a member of the “Miraval Experts” staff by representing the brand as a spokesperson and authority in the areas of cuisine and nutrition. Vehicles for promotion as a Miraval Expert will include industry publications, the Miraval website, promotional media, client events and various public relations activities.
This position is an extremely hands-on, wear-many-hats kind of role, which requires a “doer” vs. an “overseer.” The Executive Chef will organize and direct the activities of all kitchen personnel. They will work in conjunction with the Nutrition Department to ensure Miraval''s nutritional philosophies are supported, and with the Food & Beverage Manager to ensure the smooth operation our main restaurant and two outlets, plus Conference Services, Room Service and the Employee Cafe.
The most critical attributes for the person in this role are extraordinary passion, drive and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves alongside one’s teammates. The ideal candidate will exert the necessary time, energy and effort to make the Miraval brand highly relevant and compelling to global consumers with broad demographics through the execution of exceptional cuisine.
Those who are team-oriented and collaborative vs. those with an authoritative style will be the best fit. Those who are creative, resourceful and who thrive in a start-up environment rather than a formal, hierarchical, established work environment will also be best suited.
· Strong leadership and organizational skills, necessary to manage a complex operation.
· Business and financial acumen necessary for developing and analyzing budget, financial reports, cost analysis, etc.
· Appropriate social skills, congeniality, confidentiality and discretion necessary to make guests feel comfortable and welcome and to serve as a role model for resort staff.
· Demonstrated experience and ability to mentor, teach, supervise, motivate, monitor, encourage and support the advancement and continuity of staff.
· Strong skills for and attention to delivering quality, following up on details, and completing tasks with a sense of urgency.
The ideal candidate will possess a culinary degree or designation with 5-10 years of senior culinary management experience, preferably as an Executive Chef in a destination spa or resort environment. Background will ideally include in-depth knowledge of spa cuisine, fine dining, ethnic cooking, and knowledge of vegan, vegetarian and other healthy, progressive and alternative cooking styles. Candidates should be professional, self-directed and well-organized with a proven track record for engendering guest and employee satisfaction.LANGUAGE SKILLS
- Must possess fluent use of the English language.
- Ability to effectively communicate with members of the media and relate the Miraval experience in an authentic and personal manner.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and operational procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior leadership, managers and co-workers, clients, guests, staff and the general public.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to evaluate data from a variety of sources to establish trends, recognize patterns and realize opportunities.
- Ability to think and reason strategically to establish goals and objectives on a regular basis.
- Ability to assess, recommend and act to maintain company standards and meet organizational expectations.
- Ability and sensitivity to customize and individualize responses to situations for each guest or staff member in alignment to the standards and values of Miraval Culinary and F&B Departments.
WORK ENVIRONMENTIndoor/Outdoor: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and walk up and down stairs and walk intermittently for short distances.
- Ability to lift, push and/or pull 50 pounds or more on a daily basis.
- Ability to reach with arms and hands and bend at the waist when necessary.
- Ability to use fine motor skills in manipulating knives in food preparation.
Hazardous Materials/Noise: The noise level in the work place is usually loud. Frequent exposure to fumes, odors, and gases. Occasional exposure to dusts, mists and poor ventilation. Constant exposure to potential mechanical, electrical, burns and radiant energy hazards. Frequent exposure to toxic, caustic chemical hazards.
Equipment Used in Job: Commercial kitchen equipment and cleaning agents
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Tucson, AZ, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible